Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Boat sinks on the Seine in Paris

Boat sinks on the Seine in Paris

Old Sep 14th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boat sinks on the Seine in Paris

http://www.france24.com/en/20080913-...ne&navi=FRANCE

just seen this report, very sad. I've had a couple of good trips on these boats up the Seine the last year or so. Hopefully nobody died.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:55 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boat sinks on the Seine in Paris

Originally Posted by val50
http://www.france24.com/en/20080913-...ne&navi=FRANCE

just seen this report, very sad. I've had a couple of good trips on these boats up the Seine the last year or so. Hopefully nobody died.
They've just announced on the News that two people have died, including a young boy. At the time of posting this, there's yet another situation here in France similar to poor Maddy's - a boy of 6 disappeared from his home on Thursday while his mother (23) was out dining with her boyfriend. This should be in a separate thread, maybe, but why oh why do mothers leave their young children alone at home while they enjoy an evening out?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:52 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boat sinks on the Seine in Paris

There was recently a case here too, where a mother went off on her honeymoon and left her (3 I think) children to cope alone. I have a feeling it is a "sign of the times", in that society has made it very expensive/difficult for mum's to get their kids looked after easily and affordably. And more and more mums have to go out to work these days. Don't get me wrong, I am not making excuses, there never are any acceptable excuses.

My ex's sister who lived in Alsace used to frequently go off to the shops leaving her three children - oldest at the time 9, alone until she got back at least an hour later. She said the neighbours kept an eye on them!! I was horrified.

This is all very well (although, in my opinion never acceptable) until something goes wrong. And I think, it is illegal in this country to leave a child under 14 alone anyway.

Does anyone know what the "legal" age limit of leaving a child alone is in France? Now my daughter is grown up I don't even think of it anymore, but I know that I never left her alone until she was gone 16 (I think I nearly drove her mad, but she was accident prone and would have found something to hurt herself within 2 minutes of being left alone even in a Padded Cell).

Is it society or are humans losing the "parental protective" urge? Maybe some people just have it, the parental thing, and some just don't. I even gave up flying lessons once I had my daughter - I didn't think I had the right to put myself at risk and potentially leave her motherless! That's taking it a bit far I know.

One thing I did notice in France was that quite a few people we knew had extended families, which meant that grandparents, sisters, brothers etc often lived in the same village or nearby and seemed to share the childcare a bit like Meerkats!

Very very sad about the boat incident as well, not just the loss of life but that a wonderful experience now for future folk may be tainted with that memory.