Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Birth Certificates

Birth Certificates

Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Birth Certificates

Could anyone please advise if they have ever requested a duplicate birth certificate from U.K.
Was/is it straightforward? How long does it take etc?
I have my original certificate. The sporting association I am a member of here, are requesting a specific copy - 'Un extrait d'acte de naissance (récent) avec obligatoirement les mentions marginales'.
Do I assume this means a confirmed recent copy issued by the UK authorities? Or can I make the copy myself and date/sign it?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:41 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth Certificates

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Could anyone please advise if they have ever requested a duplicate birth certificate from U.K.
I have my original certificate. The sporting association I am a member of here, are requesting a specific copy - 'Un extrait d'acte de naissance (récent) avec obligatoirement les mentions marginales'.
Do I assume this means a confirmed recent copy issued by the UK authorities? Or can I make the copy myself and date/sign it?
Hi, your Association assumes that all Birth Certificates are the same as French ones, which have marriages, divorces, etc... mentioned in writing in the margin. Which is why it has to be "recently" issued (within 3 months, I believe). They'll have to make do with the British style! If they don't accept a photocopy of your original one, then I suppose you'll have to get a duplicate from the UK.
As a matter of interest, is it still Somerset House that issues duplicates? My Sous-Préfecture might decide that a photocopy of mine isn't sufficient, and it'll be good to know in advance!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:29 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I found it pretty straight forwards order from the Government website but they were slow so I would recommend their express service which bumps the price up.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
I found it pretty straight forwards order from the Government website but they were slow so I would recommend their express service which bumps the price up.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
Thanks for the link, I'm glad I asked!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I got a friend in the UK to order one online for me this summer and it seemed to arrive quite quickly. But there was no great urgency. These things always take longer when you need them fast, it's sod's law.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you have your full original then there's little point in ordering a duplicate from the GRO as it will have the same information, unless they intend on keeping it, in which case I would order another certified copy for £10 and submit that.

As dmu points out French bureaucracy doesn't seem to recognise there is any system other than their own. I would ask them that they need from someone born outside France and be prepared for a long wait.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all your replies.
I'll speak to the Prefecture and see if they will accept a copy certified by myself, with my original prepared for presentation to them if required.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:18 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
My Sous-Préfecture might decide that a photocopy of mine isn't sufficient, and it'll be good to know in advance!
Against all expectations, the S-P did accept the photocopy, as the Mairie rang today to say that my renewed French Passport is awaiting me!
If the same good fairy is watching over him, TP shouldn't have problems at his Préfecture!!
Old Dec 12th 2013, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Glad that has been sorted. We have had to order one or two birth certificates (online) mainly because there are two versions in the UK, the long and the short. The longer version I think is a copy of the birth registration and so is more detailed. I made sure we obtained both for our children when they were born and I'm glad I did, they required the long version for the legendary French administration!
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

mtp-london is an unknown quantity at this point

It's easy http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/