Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Bilingual school in Toulouse

Bilingual school in Toulouse

Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bilingual school in Toulouse

Hi there
I work just beside Meteo so know it well. In reply to your question, no it is not necessary to live in Colomiers to attend Victor Hugo, but I am afraid they will not be accepted as they will not have enough French; although they have a british section it functions within a normal french school so they need to be fluent, especially as your eldest would be in lycee and the younger in the year before the brevet (like o levels) thus would require a high level. I think the school that they would be offered is in Blagnac, I think it is called Guillaumet. That college has a small unit designed to bring non nationals up to speed for the french system. One of the other posters on this section (double dutch) had a daughter who went there as she was 13. Alternatively you could try a private school as they seem more happy to accept children with little french.

Hope this helps
Old Apr 6th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esteve
Just came across this thread and am hoping for some advice...

I am planning a half-year sabbatical in Toulouse beginning Jan 2012. Looking into school options for my 2 children (who will be 13 and 15). The IST looks out of reach for us financially, and I am getting conflicting impressions about just what is offered by the College/Lycee Victor Hugo. On one hand, I read that there is a British Section with partial instruction in English (which sounds attractive). But on the other hand, I read that there is no transition program for non-fluent French speakers whereas this exists for some 'regular' public schools. Do I have this right?

My children will have had some French language instruction (2+ years in school), but are by no means fluent. We've spent a year abroad before some years back in Barcelona where they learned Catalan, which is vaguely like French (if you use your imagination). I don't know if this will help them now...

I will be working at Meteo-France, located on Avenue Coriolis. Have not yet made any housing arrangements. Is the school choice dictated by where one lives? That is, must one live in Colomiers to attend Victor Hugo? Are the public school services likely to suffice?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
I would say that their knowledge of Catalan will be of practically no use in France, even in the SW - Toulouse region. However I believe there is some slight commonality between Catalan and l'Occitan, so if ever your daughter is lost in the centre of Toulouse she will at least comprehend the road and place names which are placarded both in French and Occitan.

Regarding the advise given on the college Guillaumet, that could well be your best solution. Afraid I can't offer any additional advise for the school except to say we used to live opposite. It's a pleasant area, right next to Odyssud cultural centre, which has a great library and videoteq, and icing on the cake, I believe there is a tram stop almost opposite which links the airport and the centre of Toulouse.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

France here we come is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
Blagnac has a section for new arrivals not sure where, but they would be offered support and french lessons within the french primary school for the first few months or so. It is a nice place to live and also has Ferradou a private catholic school with a developing english section worth exploring.
Our son arrived in France aged 7 and has had no problems at all settling into a completely french school at Mondonville; they are very used to english children there and the teachers are very helpful (Caroline Aigle; not sure what the other sschool is like, but know it has several english kids as well)
Workers art the airport usually settle at Blagnac, Corenbarrieu, St Martin, Mondonville, Beauzelle and Aussonne, to be close, or on roads going further out.
Hi Dennerlymum,

Reading through this post on schools in Toulouse I have a couple of questions about acceptance to French schools. I was under the assumption (probably wrongly) that any school would take children even if they had no French. I went to school in Jonzac, Charente Maritime and was put into a normal French class. It was a steep learning curve to say the least and as I was 17 it was quite difficult. My children are 7 and 5 (and I have a 2 year old also who will be 3 in August). What do you think their chances are of being accepted at their local maternelle/primary??
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

esteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I would say that their knowledge of Catalan will be of practically no use in France, even in the SW - Toulouse region. However I believe there is some slight commonality between Catalan and l'Occitan, so if ever your daughter is lost in the centre of Toulouse she will at least comprehend the road and place names which are placarded both in French and Occitan.

Regarding the advise given on the college Guillaumet, that could well be your best solution. Afraid I can't offer any additional advise for the school except to say we used to live opposite. It's a pleasant area, right next to Odyssud cultural centre, which has a great library and videoteq, and icing on the cake, I believe there is a tram stop almost opposite which links the airport and the centre of Toulouse.
Many thanks for the advice on Guillaumet. I would be very pleased to hear of other impressions. My son will be age 13 and my daughter will be age 15. Although they are two years apart, they are only one year apart in school. By her age, I think she would be in the first year of Lycee. But, we retained her a year in primary school, so I would suppose she would be in final year of college...
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Most schools will accept any child until at least age 11 with no qualms; my 2 did just this. However as there is a specific unit for non french speakers in Toulouse, schools have the right to refuse entry if they wish and direct them to this unit. there is also one for primary children in colomiers, but it is less used

(this for France here we come)

Yes esteve, i guess your daughter if she has redone a year would be in final year college.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Drpatterson20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello friends!
I have been in out of Toulouse for the last six months. My young family and myself will be relocating in July from the States and will be living in Colomier. My oldest son will be 5 and I had my mind set on the IST and would just have to bare the extreme cost. I was recently advised of the bilingual schools along with 31 English. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Paul Bert school? I am a beginner French speaker to say the least and my family has no French skills at this time. thank you for all the previous replies to this forum as it has changed my thinking of going to a French school.
Take care,
Old Apr 11th 2011, 10:04 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Drpatterson20
Hello friends!
I have been in out of Toulouse for the last six months. My young family and myself will be relocating in July from the States and will be living in Colomier. My oldest son will be 5 and I had my mind set on the IST and would just have to bare the extreme cost. I was recently advised of the bilingual schools along with 31 English. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Paul Bert school? I am a beginner French speaker to say the least and my family has no French skills at this time. thank you for all the previous replies to this forum as it has changed my thinking of going to a French school.
Take care,
Welcome to the Forum, No experieance of the school myself just wanted to welcome you to the Forum.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Drpatterson20
Hello friends!
Take care,
IT looks like Colditz from the outside but is actually a goo dschool. The children have the opportunity to have integration classes at the start (to acquire basic french) and then integrate intot he french system with english lessons at the level of the uk (approx) at the same time. Our daughter ent there and we were very happy.
However why not just place them in the local school? Given their age they should cope very easily with the transition to french and if you wish to continue english lessons then they could attend english 31 at Paul bert on a wednesday afternoon.
If I can help more please PM me
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:27 am
Just Joined

HannaHall is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello David,

I'm new to the discussion forum and I don't know if my reply is still relevant to you but I've just heard about this new school in Toulouse called Jack in the Box. Apparently they're offering English classes for English speaking kids. My friend told me about it, she's going to sign up her kids for classes. I don't have their details but I'm sure if you do a google search you'd be able to find them.

Good luck!
Hannah
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Being a former primary teacher I read this post with interest:

The lessons begin in September and more information can be found at

http://jackintheboxtoulouse.free.fr/index.php/home:)
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Southward4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am new and not sure whether I am doing the right thing here but i wanted to join the thread and ask some more questions, please let me know if I should be going about this another way. We are currently considering a move to Toulouse from New Zealand with the intention of being there to start the school year. I have a daughter who will be 5 in Aug and another who will be 3 in sept. I have had a small panic over our schooling options and would love some on the spot advice. We are currently looking at the public schools ( but also considering the international school and bilingual Montessori) and wondering how she will go as she has no French but also wanted to find out things like school hours etc in Toulouse. The various websites give general info but none specific to Toulouse. Also I don't really want to put my soon to be 3 yr old into school but want her to have some social time with other kids but preferably with me there, do all kids over the age of 3 go to school or Montessori? Would welcome feedback
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Realized I should have specified that it is a temporary move and we are likely to be there for a year to 18 months. Thanks, Laura
Old Feb 21st 2012, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

For one year to 18months, you have 2 options

1. the international school; this way your eldest will keep in the English educational system and be school ready when you move on

2. A state school; both children can attend for free, will quickly acclimatise to the language and end the year bi-lingual: this could be topped up for your eldest with classes on a Wednesday afternoon in English such as the Jack in the box 'School' as listed above, or English 31 School is not compulsory until 5 I believe

There is an English Mums and Tots in Levignac; sorry I dont know the name

I couldn't plump for either one as both have positives and benefits with such a short visit;

ps welcome to the forum

Last edited by dennerlymum; Feb 21st 2012 at 6:17 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
For one year to 18months, you have 2 options

1. the international school; this way your eldest will keep in the English educational system and be school ready when you move on

2. A state school; both children can attend for free, will quickly acclimatise to the language and end the year bi-lingual: this could be topped up for your eldest with classes on a Wednesday afternoon in English such as the Jack in the box 'School' as listed above, or English 31 School is not compulsory until 5 I believe

There is an English Mums and Tots in Levignac; sorry I dont know the name

I couldn't plump for either one as both have positives and benefits with such a short visit;

ps welcome to the forum
To me this should be a no-brainer. What better, wonderful chance for your children to grow up and learn a second language naturally, and easily. In 18 months they will be speaking French fluently - and thank you for that opportunity later in life.

As Dennerlymum said, put them into a state school, and with encouragement from you at home, the bonus is you will also learn reasonably good French too. In terms of progress though they will gallop away from you, and there will be no catching them - children's brains are like a sponge at that age. Been there and seen it with our children, who picked up a third and fourth language by age seven with seemingly little effort - and academically they were certainly not in the category of 'very bright' kids .
Definitely a state school every time - at least up to 11 years old.
Good luck, and let us know eventually how things turn out.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 4:26 am
Just Joined

Thank you both for your feedback! My biggest concern is that my daughter is very shy/ reserved by nature and finds it hard to speak up when she needs something at the best of times but in an entirely french speaking school she may be completely overwhelmed. She had not experienced a school environment before having been with me at playcentre ( a parent led co-operative pre school) until now. I am wondering whether the bilingual environment of the montessori school might be better? Any thoughts? Anyone know how hard it is to get in? Thanks again, laura

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.