Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Bilingual school in Toulouse

Bilingual school in Toulouse

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bilingual school in Toulouse

good luck; if you know where you are going to live \i could also suggest some local private schools that may be suitable
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

kevlux is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the offer of more advice on local schools.... gratefully accepted...

With regards area to live, we are flexible and haven't pinned down to any particular area yet. Final choice of school will determine where - ideally would like to be close to school. I will be working in the airport area, so logically we should stay to the western side. Would like to keep commute within 30 mins or so.

We have 2 school age girls aged 9 and 6, and we have a 2 year old lad as well. The girls have been taught french at school here in UK since Year 1 so at least have the beginnings of a foundation in the language. I'm fearful that the more integrated school approach will be a step too far, hence we first considered IST.

But I guess everyone in this situation has the same dilemma, and I have been reviewing earlier threads/discussions with interest.

Really appreciate your time and trouble to offer advice, thanks.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Blagnac has a section for new arrivals not sure where, but they would be offered support and french lessons within the french primary school for the first few months or so. It is a nice place to live and also has Ferradou a private catholic school with a developing english section worth exploring.
Our son arrived in France aged 7 and has had no problems at all settling into a completely french school at Mondonville; they are very used to english children there and the teachers are very helpful (Caroline Aigle; not sure what the other sschool is like, but know it has several english kids as well)
Workers art the airport usually settle at Blagnac, Corenbarrieu, St Martin, Mondonville, Beauzelle and Aussonne, to be close, or on roads going further out.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

The areas you mention sound interesting - we had a brief (first) visit to the area last week and regrettably only concentrated on the south west areas, e.g colomiers, tournefeuille, pibrac etc. mainly because we were visiting IST.

Also, I will actually be working near the airbus area of the airport (although not airbus), so hadn't considered looking at the areas north of the airport.

Blagnac sounds worth exploring, and the catholic school you mentioned would suit us. Will also take a look at Caroline Aigle in Mondonville.

Great advice - just what we need right now. Many thanks again.

Last edited by kevlux; Jul 3rd 2010 at 6:19 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

if you need a coffee whilst in mondonville; look us up; ill pm you!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

RKCH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevlux
Thanks for the offer of more advice on local schools.... gratefully accepted...

With regards area to live, we are flexible and haven't pinned down to any particular area yet. Final choice of school will determine where - ideally would like to be close to school. I will be working in the airport area, so logically we should stay to the western side. Would like to keep commute within 30 mins or so.

We have 2 school age girls aged 9 and 6, and we have a 2 year old lad as well. The girls have been taught french at school here in UK since Year 1 so at least have the beginnings of a foundation in the language. I'm fearful that the more integrated school approach will be a step too far, hence we first considered IST.

But I guess everyone in this situation has the same dilemma, and I have been reviewing earlier threads/discussions with interest.

Really appreciate your time and trouble to offer advice, thanks.
Hi there,

Also looking at a possible move to Toulouse area and had been considering IST but now looking at other possibilities. My two are 10 and 11 and other than learning to ask for a baguette on holiday have no other French. How is your search going?

Rachael
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DoubleDutch
WOW! that is brilliant! I will be in Toulouse on Thursday for last meeting with new company and hopefully that will be the start of it. We expect (all going well) that we will arrive before the end of summer. I would prefer that they go State School as the other options (never mind the cost) are not going to give the immersion that will be best for them.

Katherine has just turned 10 and Rachel has just turned 13. We will take you up on the offer and my wife who is Dutch will be in touch with a ton of questions,

Again many thanks.....

Best wishes,

David
Hi David, we are also looking to move back to Europe from NZ. My two are 10 and 11. How are you getting on with your school search?
regards,

Rachael
Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rachael, he is in the process of moving and so offline at the moment; His eldest daughter has registered at the bilingual college (but there are no places at the mo) and his youngest at the bilingual primary. They are looking for a september start, so they should be online again soon
Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RKCH
Hi there,

Also looking at a possible move to Toulouse area and had been considering IST but now looking at other possibilities. My two are 10 and 11 and other than learning to ask for a baguette on holiday have no other French. How is your search going?

Rachael
Hi Rachael,

We eventually opted for IST after long deliberation and after discussion with the British Section at Victor Hugo about the English31 system at Victor Hugo/Paul Bert schools.

In the end, we considered that a placement at IST will suit our girls better for a 3-4 year period in the area, and IST have given us some better information about their primary curriculum and some assurances that the girls will be pushed according to their ability; they have already agreed to accelerate our 6 year old into Year 3 (instead of Year 2) after our visit and providing examples of her work/school reports etc.

I would have probably opted for the more integrated approach at Paul Bert if we were planning to relocate for a longer period. Also, the British Section strongly advised that the girls should start school immediately after summer hols in September (rather than starting later in the term, when the other children are already up to speed with French etc.). I do not start work until Oct, so just did not fit our plans.

We have still not found a property yet - still looking. Trying to find time for a return visit for house hunting.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
Rachael, he is in the process of moving and so offline at the moment; His eldest daughter has registered at the bilingual college (but there are no places at the mo) and his youngest at the bilingual primary. They are looking for a september start, so they should be online again soon
OK, many thanks for that
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Rachael,

We eventually opted for IST after long deliberation and after discussion with the British Section at Victor Hugo about the English31 system at Victor Hugo/Paul Bert schools.

In the end, we considered that a placement at IST will suit our girls better for a 3-4 year period in the area, and IST have given us some better information about their primary curriculum and some assurances that the girls will be pushed according to their ability; they have already agreed to accelerate our 6 year old into Year 3 (instead of Year 2) after our visit and providing examples of her work/school reports etc.

I would have probably opted for the more integrated approach at Paul Bert if we were planning to relocate for a longer period. Also, the British Section strongly advised that the girls should start school immediately after summer hols in September (rather than starting later in the term, when the other children are already up to speed with French etc.). I do not start work until Oct, so just did not fit our plans.

We have still not found a property yet - still looking. Trying to find time for a return visit for house hunting.
Glad to hear that you have got the girls into IST! Good luck with the house hunting!!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rachael,

Many thanks for your email.
Glad to hear that you've got the school bit organised. That's our biggest concern about the whole move. The kids have had quite a lot of moves in their lives and we are hoping that this one will be the last, so we want to get it right.
Did the Bi-lingual schools have a fair number of English speaking kids? Not that it would matter in the long run, but initially for settling in it would be important, they are going to have so many changes as it is. They are sociable kids... but you do worry.
I am curious, how does the bi-lingual set-up work?
Also, as we are going on our own we would have to fund any private schooling ourselves, do you have a rough idea of anual costs?
Many thanks for your thoughts.
Rachael

Last edited by RKCH; Aug 15th 2010 at 6:15 pm. Reason: extra question
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RKCH
Many thanks for your email.
Glad to hear that you've got the school bit organised. That's our biggest concern about the whole move. The kids have had quite a lot of moves in their lives and we are hoping that this one will be the last, so we want to get it right.
Did the Bi-lingual schools have a fair number of English speaking kids? Not that it would matter in the long run, but initially for settling in it would be important, they are going to have so many changes as it is. They are sociable kids... but you do worry.
I am curious, how does the bi-lingual set-up work?
Also, as we are going on our own we would have to fund any private schooling ourselves, do you have a rough idea of anual costs?
Many thanks for your thoughts.
Rachael
Let me answer your last question about funding first... it will probably be a big decision maker for you. IST is VERY expensive. As far as I understand, Airbus sponsored the establishment of IST to support it's staff and they directly fund the fees for employees. Consequently, in my opinion, IST have set the fees high.

Details of the fees are on the IST website at www.intst.eu, under Registrations > School Application.

The alternative option we looked at is the English 31 system operated by the British Section at the Lycée International, Victor Hugo. The system is designed to ensure english skills are not diminished while the child is integrated in the french system. There is also a special class to help non-french speaking children to integrate quickly into the french system.

There is lots of info on the web - just google lycee international, victor hugo, english 31, etc. If you want contact details for the British Section, PM me.

Many have the view that the integrating into the french system is by far the better option, especially for the long term, rather than the slightly 'synthetic' feel of IST. For us, IST just works better for the shorter term.

You will see from earlier discussions in this thread that there are other options - dennerlymum gave me lots of good info re other school options in the area.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
Glad to hear that you have got the girls into IST! Good luck with the house hunting!!
Thanks! I am due to start work on 4 Oct and nowhere to live, no transport, etc, etc!! Have found it difficult looking for rental properties from distance using internet (thank heavens for Se Loger...!), particularly when most properties are on such short availability. Houses available from Oct onwards have only recently begun to be advertised.

Pretty much conceded that I will be moving over ahead of the family for at least first month. Don't really want to, but just can't see how to feasibly get everything in place for us all to move prior to taking up job - cars, bank accounts, utilities etc etc. So will be all alone for first month living out of some apartment somewhere.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Let me answer your last question about funding first... it will probably be a big decision maker for you. IST is VERY expensive. As far as I understand, Airbus sponsored the establishment of IST to support it's staff and they directly fund the fees for employees. Consequently, in my opinion, IST have set the fees high.

Details of the fees are on the IST website at www.intst.eu, under Registrations > School Application.

The alternative option we looked at is the English 31 system operated by the British Section at the Lycée International, Victor Hugo. The system is designed to ensure english skills are not diminished while the child is integrated in the french system. There is also a special class to help non-french speaking children to integrate quickly into the french system.

There is lots of info on the web - just google lycee international, victor hugo, english 31, etc. If you want contact details for the British Section, PM me.

Many have the view that the integrating into the french system is by far the better option, especially for the long term, rather than the slightly 'synthetic' feel of IST. For us, IST just works better for the shorter term.

You will see from earlier discussions in this thread that there are other options - dennerlymum gave me lots of good info re other school options in the area.
Many thanks for all your feedback. I agree that for folks planning to stat long term the bi-lingual option does sound like the better option. I will read up on it.

Thanks for all your help,

Rachael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.