Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

best place to buy pounds?

best place to buy pounds?

Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default best place to buy pounds?

I'm going to the UK and will need to get some ££££'s ... will I get a better exchange rate here or there?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 6:25 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: best place to buy pounds?

Originally Posted by beigey
I'm going to the UK and will need to get some ££££'s ... will I get a better exchange rate here or there?
Pretty negligible really I would have thought...
Old Oct 31st 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

Even in Uk things vary. Trying to change 1000 euros cash I tried the Post Office. Thos Cook, and eventually I was bid £70 more at Going Places.
It pays to shop around for significant amounts but if its just the odd £200/300 or so try the Post Office but DEFINITELY not the airport
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

aimaom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wetwang
Even in Uk things vary. Trying to change 1000 euros cash I tried the Post Office. Thos Cook, and eventually I was bid £70 more at Going Places.
It pays to shop around for significant amounts but if its just the odd £200/300 or so try the Post Office but DEFINITELY not the airport
If I buy currency beforehand I go to the post office, but normally I don't need that much so I take £100 or so out at a time when I'm over. Depending on your bank, you'll pay about 5-10€ in fees. Also, if you just use your debit card as usual the fees are surprisingly low. I pay 1€ish per transaction, I'm with the banque postale
Old Nov 1st 2010, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

You can check online beforehand.
Certainly check the Post Office and also Marks & Spencer for the high street.

Regards
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point

I ask because its been a while since I've been in the UK and I know we have an issue every summer with guests coming to France with £'s or $'s and none of the banks here have an exchange or cash for that matter!

Will just take my card then! Thanks
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

aimaom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beigey
I ask because its been a while since I've been in the UK and I know we have an issue every summer with guests coming to France with £'s or $'s and none of the banks here have an exchange or cash for that matter!

Will just take my card then! Thanks
bear in mind that there is probably a limit per day/week for cash withdrawals and/or payment in a foreign currency. I can't remember what mine is but it's pretty high (for a single person with no children staying with her parents)
I would contact your bank just to make sure re fees and limits
Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

tom.maybourne is an unknown quantity at this point

Pay by card as much as you can - restos, shops, transport, hotels. It is usually better than taking cash out at ATM.

At some hotels when you pay with the foreign card the terminal asks, whether to pay EUR or pay GBP. Always choose GBP, because then you get the Visa rate rather that the Barclays rate, who owns the terminal. Visa rate is always better than the banks.

Enjoy your trip!