Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Beginner's Guide to France?

Beginner's Guide to France?

Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Frenchy2004 has a brilliant futureFrenchy2004 has a brilliant futureFrenchy2004 has a brilliant futureFrenchy2004 has a brilliant futureFrenchy2004 has a brilliant futureFrenchy2004 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Beginner's Guide to France?

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Totally agree. There are so many posts on other forums, not so much this one because members on here seem pretty clued up, where some posters seem to have problems with every single French organisation they deal with, from EDF to their insurers to the tax office to local service providers, all apparently hell bent on ripping them off. It's not normal that some people have so many problems when other people don't have a single one, and I'm sure most of it is down to not understanding the contracts they've signed and the communications they receive and just generally, how things work in France.
I totally disagree, I speak French and OH is French native and we had loads of problems. The only thing the gov did right was to keep my OH on file for SS after leaving France 18/19yrs ago. They found his Security Sociale records within a wk. Yes, they had the blo**y paperwork to prove it The car insurance company gave him 19yrs no claims discount too (full discount in France) as he was able to prove UK no claims discount, I got 5yrs no claims. I nearly fell off the chair in our local Matmut office. I did ask OH why other French natives who came into the office (while we were waiting), were carrying folders bulging with paperwork, and his reply was 'the French' don't throw anything away for that very reason lol. They are loyal, not for loyalties sake, but because they hate hassle and so chopping and changing is not the 'done thing' in France. The institutions love it
Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Frenchy2004 has a brilliant futureFrenchy2004 has a brilliant futureFrenchy2004 has a brilliant futureFrenchy2004 has a brilliant futureFrenchy2004 has a brilliant futureFrenchy2004 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Are there any agents you know off who could hold my hand and help me through the buying process and establishing ourselves? Perhaps a decent freelance opportunity for a more experienced and fluent expat?
If you DM me, I can/will help/recommend as much as I can
Old Jan 29th 2014, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frenchy2004
I totally disagree, I speak French and OH is French native and we had loads of problems. The only thing the gov did right was to keep my OH on file for SS after leaving France 18/19yrs ago. They found his Security Sociale records within a wk. Yes, they had the blo**y paperwork to prove it The car insurance company gave him 19yrs no claims discount too (full discount in France) as he was able to prove UK no claims discount, I got 5yrs no claims. I nearly fell off the chair in our local Matmut office. I did ask OH why other French natives who came into the office (while we were waiting), were carrying folders bulging with paperwork, and his reply was 'the French' don't throw anything away for that very reason lol. They are loyal, not for loyalties sake, but because they hate hassle and so chopping and changing is not the 'done thing' in France. The institutions love it
Am I being dim but it's not clear what untoward problems you've had exactly? Surely it's good that they keep ss numbers on record - I had the same experience, I'm not French but I worked in France in the 1980s, and when I came back in 2007 I found out who to write to, wrote to them, and was surprised at how quickly they wrote back telling me my SS number. And I was back in business.

It is a fact that French insurers require a longer driving history than UK insurers, and yes it took an afternoon to go back and contact all my previous UK insurers and put the paper trail together, but eventually I did it and persuaded all my previous UK brokers to fax the details to France et voilà, eventually the French broker was satisfied and gave me my full discount.

So we'll have to agree to disagree - I still say that if you find out what is required in France, and do your best to comply instead of wasting your energy kicking against it, things usually go smoothly. No doubt it's to do with attitude as well as language skills.

EDIT - Oh dear, I've just been reading about your run-in with HMRC on the Moving back to UK forum and it seems like the administration in both countries is out to create problems for you. Hope you get things sorted.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jan 29th 2014 at 8:47 am.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any agents you know off who could hold my hand and help me through the buying process and establishing ourselves? Perhaps a decent freelance opportunity for a more experienced and fluent expat?
No, sorry. I'm not France based at the moment, & haven't dealt with agents there ever, only advocats, notaires & huissiers ;-)

There's good advice, & opinions in this thread, even if some of them are contradictory :-)

I'm following your journey with interest.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Am I being dim but it's not clear what untoward problems you've had exactly? Surely it's good that they keep ss numbers on record - I had the same experience, I'm not French but I worked in France in the 1980s, and when I came back in 2007 I found out who to write to, wrote to them, and was surprised at how quickly they wrote back telling me my SS number. And I was back in business.

It is a fact that French insurers require a longer driving history than UK insurers, and yes it took an afternoon to go back and contact all my previous UK insurers and put the paper trail together, but eventually I did it and persuaded all my previous UK brokers to fax the details to France et voilà, eventually the French broker was satisfied and gave me my full discount.

So we'll have to agree to disagree - I still say that if you find out what is required in France, and do your best to comply instead of wasting your energy kicking against it, things usually go smoothly. No doubt it's to do with attitude as well as language skills.

EDIT - Oh dear, I've just been reading about your run-in with HMRC on the Moving back to UK forum and it seems like the administration in both countries is out to create problems for you. Hope you get things sorted.
Sorry about that ET, it should have read 'agree' not disagree. Not at all, I don't think either country is out to 'get me' etc, but some people have no hassle with moving to another country, yet some have piles of hassle. With regards to HMRC, it's their mistake actually!! A tax return for my OH doesn't have to be filed, so I'd like to clear that up with you before you get on your high horse and try and make myself and OH look bad!!
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 10:55 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask what French customs are like when you get a container imported into the country? I'm just packing up my furniture in Australia ready to go into storage for 8 months or so until I move to the South of France and wondering whether to chuck away my spices, vinegars etc.... or can I bring them in?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:08 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask what French customs are like when you get a container imported into the country? I'm just packing up my furniture in Australia ready to go into storage for 8 months or so until I move to the South of France and wondering whether to chuck away my spices, vinegars etc.... or can I bring them in?
I wouldn't bother packing the spices if their going to be in storage that long you could replace them all with ease "By Post" here.