Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Basic French and Jobs

Basic French and Jobs

Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

andyxyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Basic French and Jobs beware!!

Originally Posted by val50
this might explain it better

http://www.portage.asso.fr/

If you're a freelancer or independent consultant who collects payments from different clients, there is a sector of companies called sociétés de portage who specialize in taking care of all of the URSAFF-related accounting and administration on your behalf. Technically, you work for the portage company; your clients pay them and they take care of all the paperwork on your behalf.
hi i have just read thro all the comments and am feeling very put off about my plan to move to france - i was planning on moving and trying to get a job in design as i am a trained 3d furniture/product designer - do you think this is an unwise move considring the lack of jobs and problems getting qualifications recognized?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:37 pm
Banned

cheekyfarkinmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Basic French and Jobs

Originally Posted by jdr
How come you are saying there are no jobs then, you seem to of had a few.
sure- but the frenchies are very hard to give out permanent job contracts- cdi contrat de durée indeterminé, as its very hard to fire people after- it cost just so much!! alot , i would say many companys are in really bad shape! even companys like thales thompson multi media- i worked there- they are crippeled by the taxes ( 13 restructures where they fired /made redundant many people) most companys can't afford to hire staff, it costs too much in charges, do you know what are the "charges patronale"???? its getting harder and harder here, 100's of candidates for so few jobs...i have years of experiance working here, and my french is exellant to any level any subject, even to be able to read understand and translate theses, but its near impossible, unless you have surefire diplomas here, if you dont have the diplomas they want , someone else has , and you've no chance .
i've had to improvise, and change many times- just to be able to survive, but enough is enough, its just too hard here, when there are countrys crying out for people (australia for ex) and you dont have to learn the lingo:!!!

Last edited by cheekyfarkinmonkey; Jul 18th 2007 at 10:50 pm. Reason: addition
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by andyxyz
hi i have just read thro all the comments and am feeling very put off about my plan to move to france - i was planning on moving and trying to get a job in design as i am a trained 3d furniture/product designer - do you think this is an unwise move considring the lack of jobs and problems getting qualifications recognized?
unless you get contacted by a company, or headhunted, you are going to be in a lesser situation than the average frenchie who has his equivalent diplomas here, - and they speak the lingo!!
you can get your diploma recognized- but you still are gonna need a really good mastering of french- and the slang aswell, school french is just no way good enough!!

i dont want to seem negative, as i suppose quite a few would think so, but if you think you can completly change job sector, and struggle for several years
( between 3-5) maybe more, give it a try.
personally, i regret having stayed here for so long, although i'm in the bad area to live, the jobs are still bloody scarce everywhere, you wouldnt even get a job doing lacky work in the local supermarket, because they already have loads of people wanting to do it, and they speak the lingo, plus, they say" why do you want to come and do all our low paid jobs, when loads of french go to the uk to work"??
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cheekyfarkinmonkey
sure- but the frenchies are very hard to give out permanent job contracts- cdi contrat de durée indeterminé, as its very hard to fire people after- it cost just so much!! alot , i would say many companys are in really bad shape! even companys like thales thompson multi media- i worked there- they are crippeled by the taxes ( 13 restructures where they fired /made redundant many people) most companys can't afford to hire staff, it costs too much in charges, do you know what are the "charges patronale"???? its getting harder and harder here, 100's of candidates for so few jobs...i have years of experiance working here, and my french is exellant to any level any subject, even to be able to read understand and translate theses, but its near impossible, unless you have surefire diplomas here, if you dont have the diplomas they want , someone else has , and you've no chance .
i've had to improvise, and change many times- just to be able to survive, but enough is enough, its just too hard here, when there are countrys crying out for people (australia for ex) and you dont have to learn the lingo:!!!
oh yes, if anyone wonders, i could'nt work for nearly 4 years as i didnt speak the lingo- luckily, i was doing a course here where i had a small wage, and i was working in a burger joint in paris where i had to hide in the basement in case the big bosses came round, because the english manager said "they dont hire people who dont speak correctly the language, and they dont want alot of darkies working there"
nuff said
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by andyxyz
I think it is important to read a few other comments from people who have moved to and are enjoying their lives in France. There are several charming and lovely narratives here on this forum from people who have made a success of their lives in France. CFM has, it seems, not had a good experience, but then he is in Paris and France is a much larger place than that. We are about to embark on an 850 mile journey through France which I am looking forward to! Bonjour. Nicky
Old Jul 21st 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Jorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by artemis
I think it is important to read a few other comments from people who have moved to and are enjoying their lives in France. There are several charming and lovely narratives here on this forum from people who have made a success of their lives in France. CFM has, it seems, not had a good experience, but then he is in Paris and France is a much larger place than that. We are about to embark on an 850 mile journey through France which I am looking forward to! Bonjour. Nicky
Well said Nicky. Enjoy your trip. I hope you meet some of the lovely people who live there.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 8:08 am
Just Joined

chazzyfish is an unknown quantity at this point

unemployment is so high because of the way they work there jobseekers. they are so cushty that people work a year and can get the same amount again on the benefits
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Johnny Foreigner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by val50
With 3 children we pay much less income tax than our contemporaries do back in UK.

We have never come across any of our neighbours resenting us being here, and buying property. In fact, many of them have said they would rather have English neighbours than those from Paris.
Well done you have done great and that is after all what it is all about - it working out.

Your husband does indeed pay less income tax because of the points you get for 3 kids. However his 'real' tax burden is much higher (70% social security including employer burden!)

I also note that you are fortunate in that your neighbours are not intolerant to you but have professed themselves to being intolerant to others. A common trait I am afraid, 'Of course I dont hate the British, it is the xyz that I hate' for example.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Lonnewton is an unknown quantity at this point

ref: If anyone wants details please feel free to contact me.

Hi there, yeh i'd like details if you can send them to me, im trying to do what you have, building up a portfolio of contacts for freelance work as a web / graphic / mac operator (anything)!!, looking to relocate to normandy, (my sister has done it, why cant I ?
If you could give me any info that would be great
Cheers
Leon
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:21 pm
Banned

Smile Re: Basic French and Jobs beware!!

Originally Posted by Lonnewton
ref: If anyone wants details please feel free to contact me.

Hi there, yeh i'd like details if you can send them to me, im trying to do what you have, building up a portfolio of contacts for freelance work as a web / graphic / mac operator (anything)!!, looking to relocate to normandy, (my sister has done it, why cant I ?
If you could give me any info that would be great
Cheers
Leon
yeah ok....
hey, i got a brit girl i know who lives in albi south france-- she was a graphic designer for 20 years with the R.A.F---- cant get a job in france , been there for 3 years already.. you are looking at 800 quid take home--- if you can find a job...oh yeah, they dont speak english aswell...

hi everyone its cheekyfarkinmonkey!!! i'm back in the u.k since 3 months-- i got a 37 grand take home pay job in a couple of months actually...
doddle, no uni diplomas etc, etc, i even rang up some of the french companys and their high diploma jobs, paying crap pay and told them how much i was earning here..
double that i could ever earn in france.... ever..
i'll drop back for hols... before i move to oz....
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheekyfarkinmonkey
yeah ok....
hey, i got a brit girl i know who lives in albi south france-- she was a graphic designer for 20 years with the R.A.F---- cant get a job in france , been there for 3 years already.. you are looking at 800 quid take home--- if you can find a job...oh yeah, they dont speak english aswell...

hi everyone its cheekyfarkinmonkey!!! i'm back in the u.k since 3 months-- i got a 37 grand take home pay job in a couple of months actually...
doddle, no uni diplomas etc, etc, i even rang up some of the french companys and their high diploma jobs, paying crap pay and told them how much i was earning here..
double that i could ever earn in france.... ever..
i'll drop back for hols... before i move to oz....
You better send some food parcels over to the poor folks in France then... ;-))
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:37 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

5 months old!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
5 months old!
things are a bit quiet with Dreamcatcher away
Old Dec 18th 2007, 7:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
You better send some food parcels over to the poor folks in France then... ;-))
no worrys, i know where the country is-- i spent most of my life there (20 years) et j'ai un tres bon connaissance des produits de terroir- merci-but its time to move on...
i wish you all the best of luck if you want a reasonable job/career in france then, lifes no good anywhere unless you can afford to pay the bills..

alls new to you guys, when the shine rubs off you'll see what i mean..
i can go anywhere in france and live/work, i was a technical sales rep in france for big hi tech companys aswell...et le gastronomie francais ne sert a rien, si tu peut pas te payer la luxe...

good luck, france will be overrun with brit run gites, builders and the like..
Old Dec 18th 2007, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Lonnewton is an unknown quantity at this point

ooooooooooook.....
ermm thanks for the info?...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.