Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Avignon or Aix En Provence?

Avignon or Aix En Provence?

Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

parkh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Avignon or Aix En Provence?

We are moving to France in September (til June) and (eek) have not decided where we want to live.

Both cities sound interesting...and a nice part of France.

I was wondering whether anyone had any thoughts on the relative merits of Avignon/Aix --or nearby towns--for family of 5...looking for authentic French experience (not surrounded by too many foreigners, tourists or too hot).

Or indeed could anyone living in and around these cities share their views on where they live.

Thanks a million

FV
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Avignon or Aix En Provence?

Originally Posted by parkh
(not surrounded by too many foreigners, tourists or too hot).
FV
IMHO the whole area of Provence must have too many foreigners, tourists and is certainly too hot, to want to live there (unless you have a job there). But as you'll only be there for 9 months and not in high summer when it must be unbearable, Avignon and Aix-en-P are both lovely towns and the whole of the Provence is beautiful (except for the industrial areas west of Marseille).
I live in the Languedoc and only know those towns and Provence from visits, but there are BE members who live in the area and can advise you better.
Meanwhile can you specify whether you're going to a job or looking for one, and whether your children will be going to school? Factors to be taken into account before deciding on where to live...
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

I speak French well --but wife and kids will need to learn French. Have three children --girl 13 and boys who are 9-ish. Wont be looking for work.

FB
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:48 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

I'd steer clear of Aix. I found it very snobby when I was there. Snooty in the centre and rough in the outlying areas and too expensive in the nice parts to the east of the town. Mainly I found that there wasn't much to do there. Big University town but didn't get the sort of rich restaurant life I'd expected. Also a town with a famously right wing reputation.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I did hear from a couple of people that AIx was very bourgeois (whatever that means).
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

I've heard that Aix is quite a bit more expensive than Avignon in terms of accomodation rentals and buying, but not sure by how much. Have you looked into finding a place to live yet? We are planning a move to that area as well, and thinking about initially taking a holiday home on a long-term rental but nothing organised yet - it would be good to compare notes sometime.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point

Aix is stunning but very bourgeois ... meaning its hoity toity and snobby - the shops are mostly high end designer boutiques but its is lovely to wander around and enjoy ... it has also been described as Paris of the south in terms of style class etc ... Avignon is more real but with great character, history and charm ... there are a lot of tourists in and around Provence but at the same time I lived in a village near Avignon for 3 months (without knowing much french) and knew no one I could communicate with in English so it was a pretty authentic experience ... keeping out of any city will help get that "french experience"
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:40 am
Just Joined

richardinfrance is an unknown quantity at this point

It's true, Aix is quite snobby. I've spent time there and enjoyed it but for a normal life with your family, Avingon would be the better choice. It's definitely the sort of French town/city that I would like to live in. Aix is just a bit less down to earth and, I would say, a bit less family friendly.

Go with Avingon, I'd say.