Wikiposts

The Auvergne

Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Flutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Auvergne

Originally Posted by cherokee
No, there are many more in The Auvergne but most are a secretive bunch who want to keep it all to themselves
I think people are the same in our part of Normandy, does anybody live near Vimoutiers , Lisieux or Argentan???

Judging by the number of repsonses in the Auvergne, I should probably start a similar thread on Normandy and see what happens...
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:26 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Flutterfly
I think people are the same in our part of Normandy, does anybody live near Vimoutiers , Lisieux or Argentan???

Judging by the number of repsonses in the Auvergne, I should probably start a similar thread on Normandy and see what happens...
Yay! We are near Laval, and Le Chant is south of us. It would be nice to see who else is nearby
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Flutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant future

Hi Jazzy
Not near enough to drop in for a coffee though are you - shame, just need to rethink the word 'neighbour' to get round this one!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Familyhayward is an unknown quantity at this point

Ka Ora, Thanks for the reply and I will keep hunting for people in our area. I notice from your gallery that you were also in Malaysia. We were in KL for a year working on a satellite project with the NSA. I had a great time, in fact been back a couple of times since. I am going to be heading there after I have done the F1 TV broadcast this Sept in Singapore. Thanks again, Lance
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

yorkssteve is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,
setting off tomorrow to our house near pontamur, we got the keys over xmas and spent a wk painting the kitchen and back room.we are down for 1 wk and same again in may.we are trying to get the downstairs complete then in july bring the grandchildren down as the tour de france passes through herment which is pretty close by.on arrival the local farmer called and we ended up going back to his farm and he insisted we had lunch with them.this was app a 5 course meal and during the wk they kept dropping in to make sure we were ok.not bad to say we speak minimal french and their english is basic,although the younger end were ok and said they are told at school -you must learn to speak english if you want to get on in the world- so that worked in our faviour. when they were there.we arrived back new yrs day after a visit to le mont dore ski resort and had visitors, who insisted we visited our new neighbours and we were treated as though we were family and told we were welcome to visit at any time.we will be renovateing upstairs sometime in the near future,renewing a few floorboards and reforming the bedrooms to make better use of the space as you walk through one to reach another,no problem as i am a carpenter but are looking for an electrician and someone to install a fosse legaly.the farmer said he will dig a hole and do it for us but we need to confirm to regulations,this is just a post to say how friendly and helpful the french can be if you try and integrate,and what our situation is like in the area we have bought, hope you folks dont find it too boreing
thanks yorkssteve
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkssteve
hi all,
setting off tomorrow to our house near pontamur, we got the keys over xmas and spent a wk painting the kitchen and back room.we are down for 1 wk and same again in may.we are trying to get the downstairs complete then in july bring the grandchildren down as the tour de france passes through herment which is pretty close by.on arrival the local farmer called and we ended up going back to his farm and he insisted we had lunch with them.this was app a 5 course meal and during the wk they kept dropping in to make sure we were ok.not bad to say we speak minimal french and their english is basic,although the younger end were ok and said they are told at school -you must learn to speak english if you want to get on in the world- so that worked in our faviour. when they were there.we arrived back new yrs day after a visit to le mont dore ski resort and had visitors, who insisted we visited our new neighbours and we were treated as though we were family and told we were welcome to visit at any time.we will be renovateing upstairs sometime in the near future,renewing a few floorboards and reforming the bedrooms to make better use of the space as you walk through one to reach another,no problem as i am a carpenter but are looking for an electrician and someone to install a fosse legaly.the farmer said he will dig a hole and do it for us but we need to confirm to regulations,this is just a post to say how friendly and helpful the french can be if you try and integrate,and what our situation is like in the area we have bought, hope you folks dont find it too boreing
thanks yorkssteve
Hi there
good to hear about your experiences, sounds like things are going well for you. Keeping posting, lots of people out there who need to know what it's like.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:18 am
Just Joined

dozyrosie has a spectacular aura aboutdozyrosie has a spectacular aura aboutdozyrosie has a spectacular aura about

Its been a while since I checked this forum and nice to see a few more of us in the Auvergne. We finally completed on our house near St Avit at the end of last month and we have just come back from a week there which was interesting. The house is going to be a money pit - but no surprise there! For Yorkssteve - we have just had a couple of electricians give us quotes. One is in Pontaumur - next door to the Boulangerie in the square. Very good estimate for a rewire and convector heaters. Waiting for another from a guy in Auzances. The guy in Auzances is also a plumber so may be useful. Could pm you with his details.
We are also delighted with the area. A really nice English couple have a restuarant on the D941 and put us in touch with a man who delivered us some wood for the fire and also a lovely dutch woman who is doing some translation for us - vital with all the devis coming in for work with our limited french. Had a couple of lovely meals at the Hotel de la Poste in Pontaumur - the waiter in the evening - Alain - is funny and a dead ringer for Norris from Corrie! Our french neighbours are also lovely and we have eaten with them and they keep inviting us in for drinks as well as milk from their cows and eggs from their hens.
We have been to every bricolage in the area and the staff have been so helpful and we have always left with what we went in for - not always easy with our language skills! The only 'negative' was in the supermarket in Pontaumur. There was an english woman in front of us who would not even make eye contact with us! We don't want to be her new best friend but an hallo would have been nice.
The area has all we need and it was really sad to come away but hopefully we'll be back in May to carry on the painting!
Bye for now
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

yorkssteve is an unknown quantity at this point

hi dozyrosie and all,
same as you, just arrived back after a wk of decorateing,traveling down was an experience with dense snow on the autoroute over the volcans.there is a farm next door and one app 200yds away .we had been there 4 days when we had a visit from our furthest neighbour who said he had seen the smoke from our chiminee and had informed everybody -the english are here-.the day after we were invited round for drinks where we had a minor ticking off for not visiting directley after our arrival (this would not happen in england)we were given a home made brew that they said is only legal if distilled by the eldest member of the family it was very strong .they said when we arrive again we must visit straight away and they have a spare tv that we can borrow.before we came away they offered us work if we want it as the elders of the family are retired, so it would keep the beer money flowing.something to think about!we got brave and visited the marie in herment our french is basic but we get by.it went very smooth and we came away with some telephone numbers of local people who install fosse septiques so we will call on them on our next visit.will pm you later dozyrosie for info on the electrician/plumber situation as we will need one in the near future
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:49 am
Just Joined

sophiezest is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone! I have been reading this thread with interest, as my husband and I are thinking of moving to Auvergne in a few years. We have a little boy and we both speak French.
I would be interested to hear about your experiences of living out there full-time, especially if you live in a little village outside Clermont Ferrand. In particular, I'd love to know more about how easy you are finding it to meet local people and make friends, whether the transport links are as bad as they say (how are the trains?), how easy it is to find work, what the weather is like, what you like and dislike about the area, etc. etc.
Many thanks!
Old Oct 1st 2008, 12:46 am
Just Joined

dozyrosie has a spectacular aura aboutdozyrosie has a spectacular aura aboutdozyrosie has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: The Auvergne

Well I've been out here for 3 weeks now. Obviously not permanent yet but holidays are getting longer. Our neighbours are fantastic and have been looking after me since my husband returned to the UK. Most of the local people we have met have been great.

We are in a small hamlet a couple of kilometres from a small village and about 50 miles from C-F. The weather has been lovely but change is in the air! Snow is forecast this weekend above 1000m we're only 750 so probably no snow but damn cold!

There are only a few english people near here. A nice couple who have a restuarant on the D941, a local carpenter and I believe another couple have just opened a hotel in a nearby village. But that suits us well.

Transport links?? What are they? You need a car! There are plenty of train tracks but I have yet to see a train and have only seen a bus once in the Creuse! There are bus stops but never see one of them!

It is quite difficult to find work here. Its all agricultural. Possibly with good french in CF but otherwise probably self employed.

I'll finish now, on the free internet at the Communaute so dont want to out stay my welcome!
Old Oct 1st 2008, 1:47 am
Just Joined

sophiezest is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! We are thinking of coming over next summer for a gite holiday, which should help give us a better idea of the region.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Bel de la bourre is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all, we've had a little place in the beautiful Auvergne (Saint Didier sur Doulon, near La Chaise Dieu in the Haute Loire) now for five odd years, but live in Saint Denis just outside Paris. If I can help any one out with info on the area, be happy to. Personally, I think the Auvergne is one of the most beautiful regions of France: great variety from the Cantal through the Allier to the Cezallier and over our way into the Haute Loire. There's quite a few Brits dotted about, but the region is big enough to hide in
Some people might get fazed by the tough winters in parts, and the people can sometimes be stand-offish at first (others, of course, the opposite) but generally very warm. We love it and would be happy to share experiences with others.
Cheers,
Bel
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

My last post should have read 50 km from C-F not miles!

And I agree with Bel, the Auvergne is spectacular. Yes the winter weather can be a downside but I like seasons to be like seasons - cold winter, hot summer! We had snow here on Saturday, just a bit but today is expected to be around 23 degress and sunny!

I'm so glad we ended up here. And hope you enjoy your gite hoilday.

Rosie
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

From al;l the posts its sounds like a very friendly area. Nice to see.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

It's a nice area, although hard to get work unless you've secured something in CF. I've had holidays there in previous years, and stopped by on my way back from the Pyrenees last month to enjoy a restaurant meal and buy some St. Nectaire cheese (yum). It was very quiet and ghost like in September, and the lady who runs the restaurant told us that being a plateau region, areas get cut off in the winters meaning you need a helicopter if you have a medical emergency.
Whilst the folk in the Pyrenees seem warm from the outset, the Auvergne inhabitants often have an outer crust, but can be just as warm once you've broken through it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.