The Auvergne

Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

tommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nice
Default The Auvergne

Hello all fellow Ex-pats,

I moved to France a few months ago with my other half, she's French (Yes I know it's cheating) and have made the Auvergne, Clermont ferrand, our new home because of family ties. After the never ending practice of filling in the necessary paperwork, from the UK as well as here, I've finally got some spare time. I've tried to find other Brits in the region, but to no avail. I can't be the first to arrive in the centre of France can I? Is there anybody else out there?
For example when I go to the boulangerie, after all these months they still think my accent is quaint! And they almost give me an invisible slap on the back to say 'Hang in there. Proud your making an effort' . I've read that in other parts of the country, IE Brittany, it would be the opposite. Any stories?
I've also looked into starting a small web design business in the area that I could work at part time as I've a full time job, but that's where my heart lies. With the tax regime being so strict here, and with the 35 hour week etc....I'd have to give up my full time employment and start afresh. Has anybody else had trouble with part time work in France, can you give me any advice?

Hope it all makes sense,

Tom.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

karen donegan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Auvergne

Originally Posted by tommyauvergne

I moved to France a few months ago with my other half, she's French (Yes I know it's cheating) and have made the Auvergne, Clermont ferrand, our new home because of family ties. After the never ending practice of filling in the necessary paperwork, from the UK as well as here, I've finally got some spare time. I've tried to find other Brits in the region, but to no avail. I can't be the first to arrive in the centre of France can I? Is there anybody else out there?
For example when I go to the boulangerie, after all these months they still think my accent is quaint! And they almost give me an invisible slap on the back to say 'Hang in there. Proud your making an effort' . I've read that in other parts of the country, IE Brittany, it would be the opposite. Any stories?
I've also looked into starting a small web design business in the area that I could work at part time as I've a full time job, but that's where my heart lies. With the tax regime being so strict here, and with the 35 hour week etc....I'd have to give up my full time employment and start afresh. Has anybody else had trouble with part time work in France, can you give me any advice?

Hope it all makes sense,

Tom.
Hi - we live in Normandy, as we have for the past 4 years. We are trying to sell our house at the moment (bought with parents and want to move on now), and are thinking of moving to somewhere in the Auvergne. We are going to try to get down at the end of April for a look around, but wanted to know if you could give a general idea of what it is like there. Have two boys, one 10 and one 7, both fluent in French so no problem with schooling. Where we are in Normandy it is really pretty but nothing doing for cycle/walking trails. If you want to ride you need to box them first to get somewhere safe enough to ride, etc.
Thanks in anticipation.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

tommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nicetommyauvergne is just really nice

Hi,
Good to hear your family are fluent. It will help a lot here as there's no real base for English speakers. The Auvergne is ideal for the boys if they like outdoor sports. Mountain biking is big here as well as paragliding, hiking and just about anything outdoors that you can't do in the sea. I live in a small town on the limits of Clermont Ferrand. The city itself is large and wide spread but a 10 mins drive into the Puys puts you about 600m higher and it's another world. With REAL volcanoes. If your coming to visit I suggest sticking with the higher altitude areas. There's plenty of flat farming land as well, but that's not so special.

Tom.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

herbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Good to hear your family are fluent. It will help a lot here as there's no real base for English speakers. The Auvergne is ideal for the boys if they like outdoor sports. Mountain biking is big here as well as paragliding, hiking and just about anything outdoors that you can't do in the sea. I live in a small town on the limits of Clermont Ferrand. The city itself is large and wide spread but a 10 mins drive into the Puys puts you about 600m higher and it's another world. With REAL volcanoes. If your coming to visit I suggest sticking with the higher altitude areas. There's plenty of flat farming land as well, but that's not so special.

Tom.
Hey, at last! I've found someone! I'm moving to Puy de Dome in June I've just bought a house there. We'll be halfway between Ussel and Clermont, west of Clermont near a place called Pontaumur. We'll be 50 mins from Clermont. I speak OK French but my partner very little. He's a computer engineer/website designer and although most of his work comes via the internet, it would be useful for him to have a few english speaking clients, just until his French gets better (he's Hungarian, I'm Belgian). I've joined these forums in order to work whether there is an expat community. I'm beginning to believe we are indeed one of the first to arrive in this area.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by herbie
He's a computer engineer/website designer and although most of his work comes via the internet, it would be useful for him to have a few english speaking clients, just until his French gets better (he's Hungarian, I'm Belgian). I've joined these forums in order to work whether there is an expat community. I'm beginning to believe we are indeed one of the first to arrive in this area.
Hi,
Wierd or what! I'm a website designer too. Same as your husband, most of my work comes from abroad. I've looked into setting up a small 'enterprise' but the costs and taxes involved are way too high, so I only do stuff now for my company and 'friends and family!' Unfortunatley the expat community, it seems, is ME! Seriously I've been looking at the same forums as I'm sure you have and haven't met a soul. I myself didn't speak a lot of French when I arrived. But 8 months on and it seems to be getting better.
So, that makes 3 english speaker in the Auvergne! 200% rise in a few months, not bad.
Feel free to PM if you've got any more questions..

Rgds,

Tom
Old Mar 30th 2007, 5:04 am
Just Joined

rwhite6801 is a jewel in the roughrwhite6801 is a jewel in the roughrwhite6801 is a jewel in the roughrwhite6801 is a jewel in the rough

Hope it all makes sense,

Tom.

Hi Tom

I moved to the Aveyron from the UK with my family about a year ago. We bought a small auberge in a very rural village. ( I work long hours but I get to see my grandchildren go to school every day and, I hope, given my son and daughter in law a future they would never have had in the UK) I can't relly help you with part time work except I want somebody to create and publish a web site for my business in English, French and Dutch. Any offers??

Regards

Awat game Baggie
Old Mar 30th 2007, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rwhite6801
Hi Tom

I moved to the Aveyron from the UK with my family about a year ago. We bought a small auberge in a very rural village. ( I work long hours but I get to see my grandchildren go to school every day and, I hope, given my son and daughter in law a future they would never have had in the UK) I can't relly help you with part time work except I want somebody to create and publish a web site for my business in English, French and Dutch. Any offers??

Regards

Awat game Baggie
Hi there,

The Aveyron is lovely. When we first arrived we did several day trips around that area. It's exactly the same for us. We've come here on the basis that it's better for the present and future family, and that we couldn't provide the same in the UK.
Regarding the web site, I can certainly do English and French. I'm not too great at Dutch though!
Is it for your auberge? If so, I'd ask you for your text and photos etc and if you can provide a Dutch version all the better. If not I could get it translated.
Anything to help a fellow expat.
Feel free to PM me if you want to send more details etc.
All the best,

Tom.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

sofie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Wierd or what! I'm a website designer too. Same as your husband, most of my work comes from abroad. I've looked into setting up a small 'enterprise' but the costs and taxes involved are way too high, so I only do stuff now for my company and 'friends and family!' Unfortunatley the expat community, it seems, is ME! Seriously I've been looking at the same forums as I'm sure you have and haven't met a soul. I myself didn't speak a lot of French when I arrived. But 8 months on and it seems to be getting better.
So, that makes 3 english speaker in the Auvergne! 200% rise in a few months, not bad.
Feel free to PM if you've got any more questions..

Rgds,

Tom
Hi there,
I am expatriated in Prague -cz- till jully.
I will be back with my husband and my three children, to Clermont Ferrand this summer. Have you tried to see through the international school there "Lycée Michelin -Massillon". There should be some english speakers there?
But may be I am late and you have already find out them! I am french.... that explains my writting!! but as far as I am concerned I will try to recreat the international atmosphere we had here. May be we could set up a club???
Old May 18th 2007, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sofie
Hi there,
I am expatriated in Prague -cz- till jully.
I will be back with my husband and my three children, to Clermont Ferrand this summer. Have you tried to see through the international school there "Lycée Michelin -Massillon". There should be some english speakers there?
But may be I am late and you have already find out them! I am french.... that explains my writting!! but as far as I am concerned I will try to recreat the international atmosphere we had here. May be we could set up a club???
That sounds like a great idea Sofie. We'll be looking to meet people too once we move to the area in July. I wish you luck with your move.
Old May 18th 2007, 11:02 am
Just Joined

That sounds like a great idea Sofie. We'll be looking to meet people too once we move to the area in July. I wish you luck with your move.
Thanks! I had a look on your web site : Congratulation on your work, it looks realy nice and I'll be happy to visit you if it 's possible? I have in mind to set up my business, it's about food, vine and art! that will be nice to have your point of you. What do you think?
Rgds
Old May 18th 2007, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks! I had a look on your web site : Congratulation on your work, it looks realy nice and I'll be happy to visit you if it 's possible? I have in mind to set up my business, it's about food, vine and art! that will be nice to have your point of you. What do you think?
Rgds
Your business sounds intrigueing! I'd certainly be interested in finding out more. Thanks also for taking the time to visit my site. I'm glad you liked what you saw. If you fancied a little trip away the last 2 weeks of August, I'm having a show in a beautiful little medieval village called Monestiés in south west France.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Your business sounds intrigueing! I'd certainly be interested in finding out more. Thanks also for taking the time to visit my site. I'm glad you liked what you saw. If you fancied a little trip away the last 2 weeks of August, I'm having a show in a beautiful little medieval village called Monestiés in south west France.
I went on Monsties's web site and the activities programm do not show yet your exhibition. Please let me know about it, I hope to be able to come some times in those two weeks.

Let's keep in touch!
Old May 18th 2007, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

I went on Monsties's web site and the activities programm do not show yet your exhibition. Please let me know about it, I hope to be able to come some times in those two weeks.

Let's keep in touch!
It's a little early. They have only just asked me for the images for the publicity. I think the deadline was end of next week so I expect they will start publicising after that date. It would be lovely to meet you there and to keep in touch. Feel free to email me any time. My email address is on my website. Cathy
Old May 18th 2007, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

It's a little early. They have only just asked me for the images for the publicity. I think the deadline was end of next week so I expect they will start publicising after that date. It would be lovely to meet you there and to keep in touch. Feel free to email me any time. My email address is on my website. Cathy
I understand , it is really too early. We should go to Clermont next week on a look and see trip plus visit to the international school. It is quite busy time for me , I am also working as a volonteer for a Food Bank...and we are having diffrent events!! we keep in touch for sure, I have your email address and would love to meet you. I will come back to you in jully and I hope , be able to set an appointment while you having your shaw.
Old May 18th 2007, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

I understand , it is really too early. We should go to Clermont next week on a look and see trip plus visit to the international school. It is quite busy time for me , I am also working as a volonteer for a Food Bank...and we are having diffrent events!! we keep in touch for sure, I have your email address and would love to meet you. I will come back to you in jully and I hope , be able to set an appointment while you having your shaw.
I know the feeling, we're very busy at present trying to organise the renovation of our new house and then our move in July. I wish you a very good trip and look forward to hearing from you later. It would be lovely to meet you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.