Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Astra 2D techie advice ...

Astra 2D techie advice ...

Old Jan 31st 2012, 4:42 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Astra 2D techie advice ...

... trying to help a friend who has satellite TV via a decoder (TN2008) that is pre-programmed to Astra 1C/Hotbird et al. They want standard Freesat channels (French TV is via another source). I can input into the system to add 2D, (and fiddle the dish) but despite searches I cannot find the tech stuff to load into the decoder and save. Inputting 28.2 degrees for 2D not the issue, its the transponder and other code numbers that I need to add, e.g., the TP number ***** H/V *****, symbol rate. Various sites offer help, but unable to find simple list that I can input. Dish also changing to 60cm, which is what I use via a Humax box and get great signal and strength.
Any pointers most welcome.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:55 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Astra 2D techie advice ...

Originally Posted by cjm
... trying to help a friend who has satellite TV via a decoder (TN2008) that is pre-programmed to Astra 1C/Hotbird et al. They want standard Freesat channels (French TV is via another source). I can input into the system to add 2D, (and fiddle the dish) but despite searches I cannot find the tech stuff to load into the decoder and save. Inputting 28.2 degrees for 2D not the issue, its the transponder and other code numbers that I need to add, e.g., the TP number ***** H/V *****, symbol rate. Various sites offer help, but unable to find simple list that I can input. Dish also changing to 60cm, which is what I use via a Humax box and get great signal and strength.
http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html its all there
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:57 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Respect!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:39 pm
Waiting for my bus pass!

Andrew58 is an unknown quantity at this point

The bonus of using the Humax box is you get the Freesat EPG (Electronic Programme Guide)
Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:36 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Andrew58
The bonus of using the Humax box is you get the Freesat EPG (Electronic Programme Guide)
It's a very nice piece of kit.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 4:50 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Sometimes, if its available in the menu system, all you need to do is a BLIND SCAN, for "Free to air / FTA" channels, and it will scan all the frequencies it finds from the satellitet he dish is pointing to.

Or, again if its available in the menu system, is input one of two frequencies, and do a seach, and make sure a NIT / Network search is enabled. Thisoption looks at the frequency lists on the satellite, downloads those frequencies, and searches those frequencies. Its usually quicker than the first option, which looks at all frequencies possible, rather than just those onthe satellite.

Of course, the link to lyngsat allows you to input a sel;ect few frequencies, but the above two options may save you having to manually input all 100+ frequencies on Astra 2a, 2b, 2d, 1n and Eb1!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 5:05 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

So pleased at your response. KO's advice and link were spot-on, but there was a massive list of references and I was in process of pulling out the hair I haven't got. The thought of inputting them was daunting. I need to change the dish first as my friend has a very small one, the one I have is a 60cm, which ought to be good enough.
I also need to find and borrow a compass for a rough marker as to degrees east.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 8:50 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

also use www.dishpointer.com
select astra 2d form the list, find your self on the map, move the icon, and it shows you pretty well where to aim for..
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:30 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Apologies for raising this one again. Saw on-line that Astra 2D is now with the Astra 1N cluster and have still struggled to find the relevant input numbers for the PMB box.
That said, I have not now replaced the sat dish. However, the current small dish is programmed via the decoder into Astra 1C and my friend was wanting Channel 5, which is not on this.
So, today I went through the decoder menu and checked out all the pre-programmed satellites and thought I would look at Astra/Euro and scanned it.
Here's the query, Astra 1C is on 19 degrees and Astra/Euro is on 28.2, yet I can get UK channels on both (except Ch 5). Any thoughts to help this bemused wannabe student ...
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
So pleased at your response. KO's advice and link were spot-on, but there was a massive list of references and I was in process of pulling out the hair I haven't got. The thought of inputting them was daunting. I need to change the dish first as my friend has a very small one, the one I have is a 60cm, which ought to be good enough.
I also need to find and borrow a compass for a rough marker as to degrees east.
Use your iphone.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:30 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cyrian
Use your iphone.
If I had one .....