Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Assurance-Vie - a Cautionary Tale

Assurance-Vie - a Cautionary Tale

Old Feb 25th 2020, 9:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Assurance-Vie - a Cautionary Tale

If you wish to make a "rachat partiel" (partial redemption) of an Assurance-Vie, be aware that this operation will take more than a month to process, and programme it accordingly.
I requested a partial redemption a month ago for an expensive purchase planned for next week and have had to negotiate a temporary overdraft by way of precaution, in case the transfer isn't done in time. This was simplified by the fact of knowing the Conseiller Financier for nearly 30 years and he arranged a short-term, interest-free overdraft, but it's likely that it wouldn't be as straightforward for those who have taken out Assurances-Vie without passing through their bank.
Conclusion, if you have an Assurance-Vie and wish to redeem it (the above probably also applies to a full redemption), then start the procedure about two months before you need the money, to avoid stress!!
Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Feb 25th 2020, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assurance-Vie - a Cautionary Tale

We were recently asked by the bank for a justificatif de domicile i.e. proof of address.
I struggled to find one for my OH but she was stated on the account for EDF.
If you are moving to France or already have done so then make sure that both parties are named on any accounts or services.
If not then see if you can add them.
In the case of a death, it makes the transfer of account(s) easier.
In France, you can register a car in both names which makes life easier in the case of a death where the spouse may not have the right to inherit the car or sell it.

Old Feb 25th 2020, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Some good info here.
@DMU: To date we've never needed to make a full or partial redemption on our Assurance-Vie, but your advise is well worth bearing in mind, thank you.
Cyrian, only last week we ordered a new car and didn't hesitate to get the main agent to arrange the registration document in both our names. As you rightly say, it can save a lot of unnessary hassle later on, so effectively an excellent reminder to others.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 7:56 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
We were recently asked by the bank for a justificatif de domicile i.e. proof of address.
I struggled to find one for my OH but she was stated on the account for EDF.
If you are moving to France or already have done so then make sure that both parties are named on any accounts or services.
If not then see if you can add them.
In the case of a death, it makes the transfer of account(s) easier.
In France, you can register a car in both names which makes life easier in the case of a death where the spouse may not have the right to inherit the car or sell it.
Spot on, for all couples who are legally bound or simply "partners", not forgetting that bank accounts should be in both names, since a deceased's account is frozen and only accessible to the surviving partner if he/she is joint-holder.
In the event of death, transfers are certainly more straightforward, all things being relative, but the paperwork still has to be done.....
Old Feb 28th 2020, 4:11 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

An update on #1:
The money arrived in my account today, so there was no need to negotiate the overdraft, but how was I to know...
But to add insult to injury, I discovered that about 8% of the requested sum had been deducted for "prélèvements fiscaux et sociaux" based on the interests accrued since the Assurance-Vie was taken out.
Something else to take into account when deciding how much you want to redeem.