Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Ascension Viaduct

Ascension Viaduct

Old May 15th 2020, 8:43 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ascension Viaduct

I used to go away to visit various family members about once a month, but since Christmas, various medical appointments and then Covid19 put a stop to all travel.
With the deconfinement, I've now had a violent urge to go away during the long Ascension weekend, but there's no family nor hotel open within the 100 km limit to house me, all restaurants are closed except for take-away, so I've had to curb the urge..
Are you feeling the same frustration? A lot of French people are in the same boat - not everyone has family or friends to put them up, or second homes, within the 100 km limit....
This gradual deconfinement is just as disconcerting as the original confinement!
Old May 15th 2020, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ascension Viaduct

I think that in England people can now travel without it needing to be a strictly necessary journey but they aren't supposed to stay away from home overnight. Basically it just means they can go out for the day and excercise somewhere different.
Here is Wales there has been no relaxation yet.
I do basically the same walk every day. Will be nice to be able to drive a few miles and do a different one.
Old May 15th 2020, 11:30 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I think that in England people can now travel without it needing to be a strictly necessary journey but they aren't supposed to stay away from home overnight. Basically it just means they can go out for the day and excercise somewhere different.
Here is Wales there has been no relaxation yet.
I do basically the same walk every day. Will be nice to be able to drive a few miles and do a different one.
Unless you have somewhere to stay, it boils down to that here, too. But with no restaurants to sit in, the weather plays a big part in deciding whether or not to go somewhere different and picnic (The weather looks as though it'll be back to "normal" here next week, so there's hope for a day out yet!).
Old May 15th 2020, 2:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Well, DMU, if it's any help - here in Texas, they are throwing caution to the wind and just about everywhere is open and it is really, really scary. Our Governor just wants the whole place open and our Mayor here in Austin is doing what he can to keep the infection spread down but has no authority to enforce anything now. Most people are wearing masks, but not everyone and social distancing is pretty much being ignored. So, I can go where I like but it's at my own risk and I judge the risk to be high, so I stay at home and row on the lake on my own.
An ICU nurse I know here pasted this on his FB page and it is so true:
"The restrictions are being eased up because there's room for you in the ICU now"
Old May 15th 2020, 3:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Well, DMU, if it's any help - here in Texas, they are throwing caution to the wind and just about everywhere is open and it is really, really scary. Our Governor just wants the whole place open and our Mayor here in Austin is doing what he can to keep the infection spread down but has no authority to enforce anything now. Most people are wearing masks, but not everyone and social distancing is pretty much being ignored. So, I can go where I like but it's at my own risk and I judge the risk to be high, so I stay at home and row on the lake on my own.
"The restrictions are being eased up because there's room for you in the ICU now"
Our government here in England is completely in a tailspin but it's not as bad as Texas apparently.
Old May 15th 2020, 3:59 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Stay safe!!
Old May 16th 2020, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't really see extended family much anyway, I'm an introvert, and have everything I need around me, including wife, kids and a big garden. We did have to cancel a small break to Aude booked for April, but it looks like our holiday (in France) for later August can probably still go ahead. I feel for those who require more social interaction, are missing family, have been financially crippled or are suffering any mental health issues due to the limitations and stress of it all.
I did quite a bit of shopping two days ago (first time in 6 weeks), and the majority do not wear masks (plenty of elderly doing their shop), even though the local communes have given them to every household. I was the only one to wear a mask and gloves. The post office employs a security guy who controls who goes in and out, and the shops have their perspex screens but some of the checkout staff don't wear masks or gloves.
I've kept my kids off school, and am told only 1/3 of the school is returning. I'm guessing it's mostly those who have two parents working away from home.

Hopefully this won't be the new normal for too long, but it seems impossible to say.

Last edited by G-J-B; May 16th 2020 at 7:48 am.
Old May 17th 2020, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

May contain nuts is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see my wife and I changing the habits of the last 2 months greatly. Fortunately, we live in a house and it's just the two of us - and the pooch - and at this time of the year, there's no shortage of things to do in the garden.

The fact that bars, cafés and restaurants are closed also takes the gloss off out of going out.. but even if they were open, is it worth the risk of waking up and finding that you're 'intubated' - surely one of the most frightening words in the English language.
As my wife has a serious medical condition - plus we're both in the "at risk" age group - we're prepared to carry on as we are, taking all sensible precautions in the hope that an effective vaccine can be developed.
Mcn