Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

artisits in France

artisits in France

Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

frenchie0005 is on a distinguished road
Default artisits in France

Can anyone advise on the advantages/disadvantages of registering as an artist in France and or how one goes about doing that please?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 5:30 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: artisits in France

Originally Posted by frenchie0005
Can anyone advise on the advantages/disadvantages of registering as an artist in France and or how one goes about doing that please?

Do you mean tradesperson or artist artist?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

atrist,artist
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:12 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

atrist,artist
Advantages: much reduced payments for social secu/health/pension or at least much reduced if you are not declaring alot of income.

How: you need to be able to demonstrate that you are living from being an artist. Art (as opposed to craft/artisan) means that your work is always one off rather than repeated in a home production line.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

How and to whom do I need to prove that and do you know who I apply to?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

herbie is an unknown quantity at this point

How and to whom do I need to prove that and do you know who I apply to?
You need to register with 'La Maison des Artistes'. This will give you artist status and benefits in the way that you'll be able to work with Tourist Boards etc. Having this 'status' gives you perhaps a little more respect as one assumes you're earning a living from being an artist. They're threshold for 'cotisations' is around 6000 euros so be careful. If you earn 6001 euros, then your payments are, from what I can gather, around 435 euros per month! By earn I mean sales, not profit. Please check this out as I'm still not too sure how it works.

This is their website for more information.

www.lamaisondesartistes.fr/
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Herbie..what is a 'cotisation'? Also what happens if you have a good year and the next one you earn nothing. I thought that being an artist legit would be beneficial. At the moment it's a sideline and I have for this year had two sales, laying out far more than ive earned back. Theres no way I could afford to pay over 400 euros per month to anyone, im stunned!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:21 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get the status it is beneficial and thus difficult to get! Also you have to prove that you've lived off your art for real, with evidence of sales and such like, I think for the two or three years prior to your claim. The whole 'self-employed' lark here is really horrid. It's much easier to do it in the UK. Just got to put up with the British...
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

herbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by treskillard
If you can get the status it is beneficial and thus difficult to get! Also you have to prove that you've lived off your art for real, with evidence of sales and such like, I think for the two or three years prior to your claim. The whole 'self-employed' lark here is really horrid. It's much easier to do it in the UK. Just got to put up with the British...

All you need is your first invoice by way of proving that you've started to work and earn a living as an artist. You have to be registered as soon as you start work. There is no question of working for 2 or 3 years prior to your claim. This is not legal. I you do not register with Maison des Artistes, then you can work as a 'free' artist and pay into the system that way. There are several ways of doing this. 'Cotisations' are the payments you make to the government for health etc. They do not include tax payments.

If you do not earn above their threshold of I think 6000 euros per annum of sales, then you do not pay anything. If you have a good first year, your tax and cotisations will be based on that the following year. This is why most businesses in France go under in their 3rd year.

The only advice I can give you is that you must really understand the system and how it works and then use it to your advantage. There are always ways around things and this is how the French manage. My suggestion to you would be to make sure you do not earn more than the threshold and give yourself time to gauge how it's going.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:03 am

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herbie
All you need is your first invoice by way of proving that you've started to work and earn a living as an artist. You have to be registered as soon as you start work. There is no question of working for 2 or 3 years prior to your claim. This is not legal. I you do not register with Maison des Artistes, then you can work as a 'free' artist and pay into the system that way. There are several ways of doing this. 'Cotisations' are the payments you make to the government for health etc. They do not include tax payments.

If you do not earn above their threshold of I think 6000 euros per annum of sales, then you do not pay anything. If you have a good first year, your tax and cotisations will be based on that the following year. This is why most businesses in France go under in their 3rd year.

The only advice I can give you is that you must really understand the system and how it works and then use it to your advantage. There are always ways around things and this is how the French manage. My suggestion to you would be to make sure you do not earn more than the threshold and give yourself time to gauge how it's going.
Spot on..
Old Oct 24th 2007, 7:28 pm
down under where

Originally Posted by herbie

It's still a bit of a nightmare
ask Sarkozy and the 250,000 French in the UK...