Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Areas commuting distance to La Défense, Paris

Areas commuting distance to La Défense, Paris

Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Default Areas commuting distance to La Défense, Paris

Hello there,

I recently posted on here regarding our possible move to Paris and have just found out that if my husband were to take the job, it would be in La Défense area of the city.

With that in mind, and also the fact that we won't be on any expat package, could anyone recommend relatively affordable areas that I could look at, to get some idea of rentals, that would be in commuting distance of La Défense?

Maybe somewhere with a bit of green for us to hang out in, and some cultural goings-on (not true suburbia please!). Also an area with good (and friendly!) local primary schools is very important.

Sorry for the too-ing and fro-ing. I do hope someone can help.

Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:15 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas commuting distance to La Défense, Paris

Originally Posted by Emmis
Hello there,

I recently posted on here regarding our possible move to Paris and have just found out that if my husband were to take the job, it would be in La Défense area of the city.

With that in mind, and also the fact that we won't be on any expat package, could anyone recommend relatively affordable areas that I could look at, to get some idea of rentals, that would be in commuting distance of La Défense?

Maybe somewhere with a bit of green for us to hang out in, and some cultural goings-on (not true suburbia please!). Also an area with good (and friendly!) local primary schools is very important.

Sorry for the too-ing and fro-ing. I do hope someone can help.

Thank you in advance.
Hi, refer to my post # 11 in your other ongoing thread for pleasant towns on the SNCF line going through La Defense! Otherwise look on the RER plan for towns west of La Defense. They all have some green, if not a lot.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

A very good friend of mine lives in Vaucresson and works at La Défense, she is about 10 - 15 minutes away on the train. Vaucresson is lovely, very green, a stone's throw to Versailles, with still quite a bit going on.

I have a feeling the affordability aspect may not be so great though, although as always it depends what kind of lifestyle you have now in the UK and where you live. Some areas of SE England are a lot more expensive than posh Parisian suburbs!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nerdherd
A very good friend of mine lives in Vaucresson and works at La Défense, she is about 10 - 15 minutes away on the train. Vaucresson is lovely, very green, a stone's throw to Versailles, with still quite a bit going on.

I have a feeling the affordability aspect may not be so great though, although as always it depends what kind of lifestyle you have now in the UK and where you live. Some areas of SE England are a lot more expensive than posh Parisian suburbs!
That sounds lovely!

We haven't lived in Blighty for years - been hop, skip and jumping from one country to another for over a decade! Currently in Lisbon, so of course Paris seems a tiny bit expensive!

Nevertheless, we're still considering the job offer and I will check out Vaucresson. I think I may already have had a look but will double check. Any ideas on Conflans-Sainte-Honorine or Andresy as they seem very affordable?

Thank you for your reply! Greatly appreciated
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

Yes, Paris will seem expensive compared to Lisbon - although presumably the job you are considering will be aligned with the local cost of living? I hope so anyway!

I am sorry but I don't know about the other places you mention. Although I know Paris fairly well, I am not from there and have never lived there! If it wasn't for my friend living in Vaucresson, I would never have set foot there.

But good luck nonetheless and I hope you are happy with whatever choice you end up making.