Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anyone understand the new travel restriction?

Anyone understand the new travel restriction?

Old Dec 2nd 2021, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone understand the new travel restriction?

For all arrivals in France from outside the EU, including the UK.
PCR or lateral flow? To be carried out - in the case of fully vaccinated passengers - within the 48 hours prior to travel? ie before leaving the UK?

There was something in the wording of the message from Connexion magazine yesterday that led me to think you could have the test within 48 hours of arrival back in France but I’ve a feeling that’s not correct.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 7:11 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone understand the new travel restriction?

Originally Posted by Helen1964
For all arrivals in France from outside the EU, including the UK.
PCR or lateral flow? To be carried out - in the case of fully vaccinated passengers - within the 48 hours prior to travel? ie before leaving the UK?

There was something in the wording of the message from Connexion magazine yesterday that led me to think you could have the test within 48 hours of arrival back in France but I’ve a feeling that’s not correct.
I heard it first on France Inter, understanding that non-EUs had to have the test upon arrival, even if they're double-vaccinated. Then I read on a newspaper site that they must have a negative test dated within 48 hours before arrival in France, but I haven't yet found an updated official site to confirm this. (Travellers within the EU who are not double-vaccinated must have a negative test dated within 24 hrs.)
Travellers from Southern Africa are subjected to stricter measures (test upon arrival and possible quarantine) and any one intending to come to France from those countries should check with official sources.
I do wish the media would be clear of their facts before announcing them. I always treat info given by the Connexion with a pinch of salt, but France Inter seems to be getting less reliable nowadays....
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

As dmu mentioned, it seems the media are all interpreting the statement rather than reporting the announcement verbatim.

Best to wait for the official advice to be updated. This is the advice for the UK: https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/co...n/royaume-uni/
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

The Eurotunnel site has been updated today and states that fully vaccinated travellers from the UK to France need to have proof of vaccination and complete a statement on honour.
When we recently travelled through the tunnel, we weren't asked for anything other than our passports.
Best to check just before you travel. (normally within 48 hours prior to departure).
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 10:57 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham.miln
As dmu mentioned, it seems the media are all interpreting the statement rather than reporting the announcement verbatim.

Best to wait for the official advice to be updated. This is the advice for the UK: https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/co...n/royaume-uni/
To confuse matters, this link is "still valid" on 2nd December, yet the Minister made his announcement on the negative PCR test prior to travelling, yesterday after the Conseil des Ministres. This link says that proof of vaccination is required, together with a Déclaration sur l'Honneur, but "aucun test n'est requis"....
I'm just thankful that I'm not travelling out of the EU in the near future, the stress is bad enough, simply to go to Germany for Christmas.... You can't foresee what the restrictions will be by then.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

notgrampa is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the latest info I could find on arriving from UK. https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F35613
UK is a "pay orange"
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DMU. I think the new rule about even doubly vaccinated arrivals from outside the EU (including the UK) having to show a negative test result is definitely coming in at some point but the details - including the start date - have yet to be announced.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

So I think that means the vaccination is not effective for Omicron Covid if the doubly vaxed people have to provide test results. Right?
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

notgrampa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nand
So I think that means the vaccination is not effective for Omicron Covid if the doubly vaxed people have to provide test results. Right?
No I dont think that means that its not effective, its just a check. The test would not show whether its Omicron or Delta until a full sequence has been established.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 7:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by notgrampa
No I dont think that means that its not effective, its just a check. The test would not show whether its Omicron or Delta until a full sequence has been established.
+1
Double (and now triple)-vaxed persons might be healthy carriers, and a test is an extra check.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Australia updated their travel advice today, 4th December 2021, for entry to France: https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/des.../europe/france

All non-EU travellers aged 12 years and older, regardless of vaccination status, will require a negative COVID-19 (PCR) test or antigenic test (which detects protein N of Sars-Cov2), within 48 hours of departure.

Last edited by graham.miln; Dec 4th 2021 at 8:56 am. Reason: Clarification.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

The updated rules have been published: https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-cor...s/deplacements :

• À partir du 4 décembre 2021, toute personne de 12 ans et plus entrant sur le territoire français doit présenter un test PCR ou antigénique négatif de moins de 24h ou 48h en fonction du pays de provenance. Seule exception, les personnes présentant un schéma vaccinal complet n’ont pas à présenter de test, lorsqu'elles arrivent d'un État membre de l'Union européenne, d'Andorre, d'Islande, du Liechtenstein, de Monaco, de la Norvège, de Saint-Marin, du Saint-Siège ou de la Suisse.

Last edited by graham.miln; Dec 4th 2021 at 6:13 pm. Reason: Formatting
Old Dec 5th 2021, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Graham. Before reading that, I would have sort of assumed what they would want is either a PCR performed within 48 hours prior to departure or a lateral flow (antigen) performed within 24 hours prior to departure. But that’s not what the decree says.
Instead it implies you can have either a PCR or a lateral flow regardless of which non-EU country you’re coming from and that whether you have the test within 24 or 48 hours prior to departure depends not on the type of test but purely on the particular non-EU country you’re arriving from.
Clear as mud.

Old Dec 5th 2021, 7:49 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What should be noted is the lack of definite info given in the Govt. link, which is in fact normal, they can't commit themselves, since no one knows how the Situation will develop:
E.g.
"listes des pays (in the classification) sont ADAPTEES selon les évolutions...."
"obligations ... PEUVENT s'appliquer".
IMO, any one travelling outside of France, esp. to/from a "non-green" country (e.g. UK) in the near future, should follow official news from day to day.... Even within the EU, regulations can change for the worse from one day to the next....
Old Dec 5th 2021, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Makes it pretty much impossible to plan a trip though. If you don’t know what the rule actually is.
For example, to fly from Belfast to Paris I’ll need a pre-departure test. Assuming self-administered tests aren’t acceptable, I’ll have to go to a private testing station, of which there are only a couple in the area. They close at 7 pm at night and in the case of PCR tests, can only guarantee you’ll get your result by 11.59 pm the following day.
If the French will accept a lateral flow (result within an hour), great, my trip is feasible. But if they require a PCR, I’m snookered.

I suspect a lot of people who were planning to travel just for a holiday rather than some more pressing family reason will just give up now and cancel their flights. At which point the airlines will start cancelling flights too because there aren’t enough passengers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.