Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anyone regret moving to France?

Anyone regret moving to France?

Old Dec 18th 2015, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Lady Rainicorn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone regret moving to France?

I am a member of another forum for people wishing to move to Australia and around 20% of people (myself included) realise that moving there was a mistake.

I stay on the forum to warn others of the pitfalls (not always appreciated!) and one of my reasons for joining here is to find out the pitfalls on moving to France.

So come on burst my bubble, anyone regret making the move? Or what would you do differently if you could start again?

What are the pitfalls to avoid?

We are thinking of the midi-Pyrenees and I know English is not widely spoken, are we mad to consider this a good thing since we have basic school book French at the moment?
Old Dec 18th 2015, 6:09 pm
Correze, The Limousin

Chris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone regret moving to France?

My advice to any married person contemplating a move to another country, is to make absolutely sure that your partner means what he/she says when they decide what a jolly wheeze it would be, then buggers off and dumps you, your pets, and their responsibilities just when you thought you were settled, and getting somewhere.

Personally, I don't regret a thing, and consider the move the best thing I ever did.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 9:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris'nJulie
My advice to any married person contemplating a move to another country, is to make absolutely sure that your partner means what he/she says when they decide what a jolly wheeze it would be, then buggers off and dumps you, your pets, and their responsibilities just when you thought you were settled, and getting somewhere.

Personally, I don't regret a thing, and consider the move the best thing I ever did.
Jolly good post that.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you should mention why it is that you are thnkng about moving to France, as it's like chalk and cheese compared with Australia?
Old Dec 18th 2015, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It's a different experience for everybody, as C'n'J's post illustrates wonderfully. When things go belly up, if they do, it's usually to do with the people rather than with the place. France is what it is, it's not Utopia, it's not a disaster zone, it's a country with good points and bad points and a place where you can enjoy a good life if you have the ability and the willingness to make the most of the things you like and cope with the things you don't like. If you don't have that ability or that willingness and if you come with unrealistic expectations expecting France to mould itself to the exact shape of your bubble, you'll probably end up disappointed - but you would wherever you moved to with that attitude.
Personally, at my time of life, I wouldn't want to live somewhere where I struggled to understand what was going on around me, because I like feeling organised and in control of my life so I'd find it frustrating to live in a fog. But, we're all different and other people don't seem to mind.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Nectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really nice

the first thing to consider is money because if you plan to work here then forget it, unless you have excellent French or have unique skills that you can sell to the English speaking market. I'd saw Aus and France cost the same roughly but whatever naffs you off in Australia (say, for example, bureaucracy) will be a zillion times more frustrating in a foreign language that you don't understand.
I don't regret our move at all, we came well prepared with good French and a good padding of money to buffer us against the hiccups of an old building and unforeseen bills. I'd say that those two assets are some of the most important for a move here, plus a stable marriage that you're not trying to patch together with a "new adventure". I have seen a few couples split up with one left picking up the pieces.
But not to be negative, hey? Life is an adventure. But give us some more information about yourselves and we can tailor our advice to your specific circumstances.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 7:46 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lady Rainicorn
I am a member of another forum for people wishing to move to Australia and around 20% of people (myself included) realise that moving there was a mistake.

I stay on the forum to warn others of the pitfalls (not always appreciated!) and one of my reasons for joining here is to find out the pitfalls on moving to France.

So come on burst my bubble, anyone regret making the move? Or what would you do differently if you could start again?

What are the pitfalls to avoid?

We are thinking of the midi-Pyrenees and I know English is not widely spoken, are we mad to consider this a good thing since we have basic school book French at the moment?
I think that if anyone really regrets moving to France, due to disillusionment on the employment market, business not working out, no integration due to not bothering to learn French, finding the various Institutions and rules & regulations so different from the UK as to be inacceptable, and many other more personal reasons, they aren't likely to admit it on a Forum!
One freely admitted regret for older members is the arrival of grandchildren in the UK and not seeing them grow up, or losing their spouse and finding themselves alone, and they often return, regretfully, to the UK.
Many would-be expats don't do their homework properly before taking the plunge, and we often list pitfalls in all areas of French life in reply to potential expats' threads (likewise often not appreciated!), the keywords being "fore-warned is fore-armed" so that they know what to expect.
Personally, I have no regrets whatsoever, but then my OH of several decades is French!
Old Dec 19th 2015, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
It's a different experience for everybody, as C'n'J's post illustrates wonderfully. When things go belly up, if they do, it's usually to do with the people rather than with the place. France is what it is, it's not Utopia, it's not a disaster zone, it's a country with good points and bad points and a place where you can enjoy a good life if you have the ability and the willingness to make the most of the things you like and cope with the things you don't like. If you don't have that ability or that willingness and if you come with unrealistic expectations expecting France to mould itself to the exact shape of your bubble, you'll probably end up disappointed - but you would wherever you moved to with that attitude.
Personally, at my time of life, I wouldn't want to live somewhere where I struggled to understand what was going on around me, because I like feeling organised and in control of my life so I'd find it frustrating to live in a fog. But, we're all different and other people don't seem to mind.
To live in a fog, indeed would be frustrating.
On the other hand, to live like a frog, methinks is the way to success here.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
To live in a fog, indeed would be frustrating.
On the other hand, to live like a frog, methinks is the way to success here.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris'nJulie

I saw that happen to a lot of ex-pats in Portugal
Old Dec 19th 2015, 9:05 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Milady, I smell phishing for an alternative purpose.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 4:50 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Lady Rainicorn, your question is impossible to answer in its current form, only you would be able to decide based upon your priorities and personal circumstances. You perhaps need to be a bit more specific about the areas which might concern you to get some more input from members. Certainly, we all have our pet hates but we don't all share the same ones (although La Poste may be the exception).

In any case, I think (hope) France could see some major changes in the near to mid term as pressure is building up in the EU to break away from its moribund economic policies - in France this translates to a period of liberalisation of market regulation and modernisation of its employment laws. The danger is that it could swing the other way under the misguided Famille le Pen. I would say National Front but they will soon be changing their name (possibly to FRIP, haha)

As a consequence, any advice can only be "of the moment" and could be rapidly out of date, which is a shame because although a bit of adventure when we retire to foreign climes is to be expected, we don't really want too much adventure thrust upon us.

Much as I love France and have many connections with the country and its people, if I was in your situation and contemplating another country to retire to, France would not be terribly high on my list.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 7:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lady Rainicorn

As you mentioned in another thread, you are thinking of buying a property primarily for holidays for a couple of years while your son is still at school, and finally retiring there in the distant future. Before making this decision, why don't you rent a (French-run) gîte in different places during the school holidays (all seasons), not as tourists but as potential residents, to experience the nitty-gritty of living in France? You won't encounter much Bureaucracy, but rubbing shoulders with the locals and following the French News will help you decide whether France is really for you.
I have to agree with IVV that France isn't the best place to move to at present!
Old Dec 20th 2015, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Sorry Milady, I smell phishing for an alternative purpose.
I too smell a rat somewhere.
If someone was to post a subject, 'Anyone regret living?', what purpose would the replies really serve?
In a previous post associated with Australia, I note that the OP mentions, "I am not too fussed if I never see a sunny day again!" Now whether that may or may not have been a tongue-in-cheek comment is irrelevant, as how can anyone possibly entertain the prospect of possibly living in France - especially the south - if they have any aversion to sun.
Does anyone regret living anywhere?
I've been fortunate in having traveled widely, and living & working in some places that were truly mind-blowing - not only in a pleasurable sense! But looking back I have no regrets whatsoever. They would serve no purpose.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I too smell a rat somewhere.
If someone was to post a subject, 'Anyone regret living?', what purpose would the replies really serve?
In a previous post associated with Australia, I note that the OP mentions, "I am not too fussed if I never see a sunny day again!" Now whether that may or may not have been a tongue-in-cheek comment is irrelevant, as how can anyone possibly entertain the prospect of possibly living in France - especially the south - if they have any aversion to sun.
Does anyone regret living anywhere?
I've been fortunate in having traveled widely, and living & working in some places that were truly mind-blowing - not only in a pleasurable sense! But looking back I have no regrets whatsoever. They would serve no purpose.
I think it's enjoyable to have a person who thinks differently. Usually people tend to always ask the same questions. 'I would like to live in France, I don't have a job and my French is basic, do you think it would be possible to run a gite?'

French people tend to be pessimistic as well so maybe the OP could enjoy the country? (tongue-in-cheek please don't blame me)

Ha and here's the proof: Health - France, the world’s most depressed nation? - France 24

I think the OP could probably be disappointed with their social life, it's quite hard to make friends in France I think, compared to other countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.