Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Lille?

Anyone in Lille?

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice
Wink Anyone in Lille?

Any ex-pats live in or near Lille?
Old Mar 31st 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

sdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone in Lille?

OOps,

Sorry, I've been asleep for a while and completely missed this thread.

Hi cm, yes indeed I live in Provin, between Lille and Lens, after having lived in Ronchin (OH's parents live there), le Vieux Lille, and Wattignies.

It's been 12 years now, and I love the place.

Why the question? Do you live nearby too? Or intending to come? Or just need some info? Don't hesitate to ask.

Steven
Old Mar 31st 2009, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice
Cool Re: Anyone in Lille?

Originally Posted by sdale100
OOps,

Sorry, I've been asleep for a while and completely missed this thread.

Hi cm, yes indeed I live in Provin, between Lille and Lens, after having lived in Ronchin (OH's parents live there), le Vieux Lille, and Wattignies.

It's been 12 years now, and I love the place.

Why the question? Do you live nearby too? Or intending to come? Or just need some info? Don't hesitate to ask.

Steven
Why the question? Because I now live in Lille. We just moved here, in fact. I love the place. Everything is fine but I thought it might be nice, every once in a while, if we could get together with any other ex-pats in the area, that's all.

To be specific, by the way, we live in La Madeleine, just outside Lille proper. We don't have a car at the moment as we live so close to public transport and, also, because public transport is so cheap. It's a nice area and we're very happy in it. I don't work at the moment, as I am taking the time to improve my French. My husband works as a programmer in Villeneuve d'Ascq.

We're getting on well in the area, but it's nice to know we aren't the only ex-pats around here. If you or anyone else would like to get together, just let me know.

Oh, and, are there any ex-pat organisations in the area?

Celine
Old Apr 5th 2009, 10:15 am
Just Joined

alba13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
nice to hear that you're enjoying living in the north - LIlle is a beautiful city. You seem to thinik that you're alone - gosh there are loads of brits in and around Lille and also in other cities - for Lille you can check out the British Community Association which is in 11 square Dutilleul LIlle - which is right bang in the centre of the city - just of Rue National, sort of near-ish opposite the Printemps shop - they have stuff going on apparently for Brits in LIlle - I have a phone number but have had it for a while so not too sure if it's still valid or not - 03 20 12 82 72 ; also there is a British library where you can borrow British books - this only during the school term time (apparently) - you'll find this at the British Cultural Centre ; the address I have is 4 place du temple Lille - not far from the Musée des Beaux Arts, I believe - never been there myself cos I work when they're open.
Further afield, is Arras where there are loads of Brits too, due to the British cemetaries there,
Another idea is to contact the Anglican Church in Lille - don't worry you most certainly don't have to be a church member, but they often have "clubs" or something going on - it's the case in other cities around the north / pas de calais - like Hesdin or Calais or Arras where they have groups of brits & americans, canadians, australians....etc who get together on a regular basis just to chat & have tea & get to know people & made friends..
Anyway, just a couple of ideas, but you're most certainly not alone but I agree it's not always easy to actually get in contact with other people but you'll be amazed once you do at the number of brits actually living in the North of France.
Have a nice day
Old Apr 5th 2009, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

sdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud of

Well done Alba,
you've covered all the same addresses I had. Like you I never get the chance to go to the british library, but heard it's worth a visit. The church is well worth a look at - loads of brits, americans, canadians and the like in there.

I heard there were about 15000 of us in the region Nord Pas de Calais at the last count, but I don't know if that includes all the "résidences secondaires" on the coast.

In any case, welcome to "le nord". Could be interesting to organise a BE meetup some time.

I know La Madeleine well, and pass through there regularly, where are you Alba?
Old May 8th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

I would like to thank everyone for their advice and information. Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread, but I fell ill then I just forgot about it in my rush to catch up.