Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

anyone could help me with some enquires about doing a short contract in France

anyone could help me with some enquires about doing a short contract in France

Old Aug 17th 2021, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Mariela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone could help me with some enquires about doing a short contract in France

Hi all,

I am doing a contracting role in France for around 4 months. I am British living in Abu Dhabi. I would be grateful if you can help me with the following questions.
Do I need a visa to work for 4 months in Paris if I have a Britsih Passport?
If I am hired by a British company and doing a job in France do I need to pay taxes in France?
Any suggestion what company I can hire to do my accounting once I finish my contract? I have set up a limited company in the UK.

Many thanks
Old Aug 17th 2021, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone could help me with some enquires about doing a short contract in Fran

Originally Posted by Mariela
Hi all,
Do I need a visa to work for 4 months in Paris if I have a Britsih Passport?
If I am hired by a British company and doing a job in France do I need to pay taxes in France?
Any suggestion what company I can hire to do my accounting once I finish my contract? I have set up a limited company in the UK.
A British passport does not give you the right to live in France, nor to spend more than 90 days out of 180 in the EU. So yes you would need a visa to spend 4 months in Paris, and you would need a work permit, which your employer should apply for.
Regardless of what country your employer is based in, you must pay tax and social security contributions on earned income in France.
Not sure why you would need to hire a company to do your accounting, normally unless your tax affairs are complicated it's best to deal directly with the tax office. If you only spend 4 months in France you would likely not be considered tax resident for the year, so you would submit a declaration of income as a non resident and you would only be taxable on your salary, and since your employer should have deducted tax at source there should be nothing more to pay.
Having set up a UK Ltd Co has no relevance to working in France, that I can see.

If your British company has no establishment in France, this guide may be useful https://www.urssaf.fr/portail/files/...FE-UK-2017.pdf

But the first step would for your employer to obtain permission to employ you in France, https://www.service-public.fr/profes...sdroits/F22782
Depending on what your contract involves, it might prove simpler if you could reduce the duration to 3 months maximum, because the conditions for short term working are less onerous, for instance I believe the employer is not required to pay the foreign employee tax.

This would have been very simple pre-Brexit, unfortunately now it isn't.