Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Another Question.. sorry

Another Question.. sorry

Old Jan 18th 2023, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Del_f is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Another Question.. sorry

Making offers on a property.... I want to avoid he rudeness of "home in the sun" offers...its valued at 250k, "ok we`ll offer 3 bob & 6 Jam jars"

Is it similar to Scotland, where its offers Over, so I put on at 100k, but I am after 5-10% above that.
Or Like England, where its on offer at 100k but hoping to get 95k ?

Does that make sense?

*not at stage of buying yet, just wondering"

thx
Old Jan 18th 2023, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Question.. sorry

It is the same issue in France or Scotland or England.
The starting figure is what the estate agent comes up with.
In Scotland, you can ask for "offers over" but you may not achieve that.
It all depends on the amount of interest in the property and the location.
In France, price per square metre is crucial. A French person viewing a house will ask what the square metres of each room or corridor is. That is just what they do.
In the link I gave you previously, it shows the area of the property and the price paid. you can then get a feel for the local price per square metre.
Traditionally, the sale price excludes the kitchen. That is because pre-war you took your kitchen with you when you moved.
Nowadays, there is a price for the property and a price for the kitchen. This means that the seller doesn't pay Capital Gains Tax on the kitchen price.
A former member on here once put in a very low offer on a property which was rejected. Six months later he put in the same offer for the same property which was still on the market and it was accepted.
French inheritance law means that a property can be left to any number of relatives. You could have 10 owners of an inherited property who all have to agree the sale of the property.
You also need to check the diagnostics report to eliminate any problems. e.g. that lovely old cottage could have its beams riddled with termites and the roof is ready to collapse.
Do not buy a property unseen in France.
You do not normally have a property surveyed during the sales process.
HTH
Old Jan 18th 2023, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

You can offer what you like. The seller can accept or reject. Although if the agent knows what the answer will be I am not convinced that they always pass the offer on, they simply say Not accepted.
It will depend on a) how much he can afford to sell for b) how long he can afford to wait c) how long it's been on the market and what the original price was. And perhaps many other things besides.
Old Jan 20th 2023, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks both
Old Jan 22nd 2023, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

There is currently an article in The Connexion English language paper in France regarding offer prices for property.
I am not in France at the moment and I don't have a subscription but I was able to copy this starting paragraph.

"People looking to buy property in France can negotiate, on average, 6% off the price of a house or flat – the biggest room for manoeuvre since 2010.
The figure, which refers to prices at the end of 2022, has increased around 50% nationally over the past year, according to the LPI-SeLoger barometer."

HTH
Old Jan 27th 2023, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
There is currently an article in The Connexion English language paper in France regarding offer prices for property.
I am not in France at the moment and I don't have a subscription but I was able to copy this starting paragraph.

"People looking to buy property in France can negotiate, on average, 6% off the price of a house or flat – the biggest room for manoeuvre since 2010.
The figure, which refers to prices at the end of 2022, has increased around 50% nationally over the past year, according to the LPI-SeLoger barometer."

HTH
Thank you