Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

ANIMAL HEALTH CERTIFICATES

ANIMAL HEALTH CERTIFICATES

Old Sep 2nd 2022, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Phill66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ANIMAL HEALTH CERTIFICATES

Hi all as we will be moving to France to live would be interested to know from anyone who has taken their pets to France this year and encountered any unforseen problems with the French customs / authorities at Folkstone regarding the paperwork for the pets. tried searching the web but is all very confusing since the UK left the EU. The UK Gov website does clarify what is required but does not mention that the forms need to be in the language of the point of entry into France.I have spoken with our vet and to be honest i don't hold out much faith with them.

Many thanks and all information will be greatly received
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 8:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANIMAL HEALTH CERTIFICATES

The UK government site is always accurate IME. We took our dogs to France last month, although we weren't staying permanently but it was dead easy (and no need for the AHC to be in French). I guess if you're staying permanently there may be a need to show your visas and right to stay?
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Phill66 is an unknown quantity at this point

It gets more confusing by the minute had a look on the apha-defra UK Gov website and now it seems that the certificates have to be in both English and French AHC 09 template provided online think it be best for me to contact UK based vet with past expierience.

Thanks for taking the time to respond
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 12:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phill66
It gets more confusing by the minute had a look on the apha-defra UK Gov website and now it seems that the certificates have to be in both English and French AHC 09 template provided online think it be best for me to contact UK based vet with past expierience.

Thanks for taking the time to respond
No worries. Our vet had done lots of them, so knew exactly what he was doing (and already had the forms - you don't need to provide anything), I'd be surprised if any vets hadn't done one before so just find one with experience and it should be fine. The certificate is a lot of pages, and your vet should just fill it in in English, there's no need to have anything translated unless it's different if you're moving permanently to just visiting?

It really was very simple, just the rabies jab and then 3 weeks later the vet check for the AHC, then I popped back to pick up the completed AHC the next day. At Folkestone you just need to take the dog in to the animal reception, they'll check the paperwork and check the microchip number. There's a play/exercise area for the dog too whilst you're waiting.

If you're not coming back to the UK you don't need to worry about the worming pill either.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 2nd 2022 at 12:47 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going to ask a similar question. We are travelling to France from the UK next week and our dog has a European passport. Got into the UK with this and the worming pill. Are there any similar requirements entering France that anyone knows of?
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 1:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by bons
I was going to ask a similar question. We are travelling to France from the UK next week and our dog has a European passport. Got into the UK with this and the worming pill. Are there any similar requirements entering France that anyone knows of?
You don't need a worming pill to enter France, your pet passport will be fine if it was issued in France I believe. But the requirements are here, so you can check - https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-a...rthern-ireland

HTH.
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You don't need a worming pill to enter France, your pet passport will be fine if it was issued in France I believe. But the requirements are here, so you can check - https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-a...rthern-ireland

HTH.
Issued in Portugal. I'll have a look at the website. Thanks

I think it's OK as the dog's passport was issued in an EU country.
Old Sep 14th 2022, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just in case anyone is planning to go to the UK and back, we did the worming pill in France, everything was OK. No problems on return journey either. No need for any pills to go back to France. The dog has an EU pet passport issued in Portugal. We travelled with P & O as they have a lounge for pets and their owners. It's £12 extra, but you do get free tea, coffee and hot chocolate, with a fridge full of coke and water. I don't like to seem like I'm advertising this company, but my dog has acute separation anxiety and it seems that despite being fine travelling down fine last year, she was terrible in the camper van going back to the UK, so we decided to book P & O for the pet lounge so she would be less distressed. We built a little platform for her in the middle of our seats and she seems to be better as we travel now. Anyway, happy travelling with your pets.