Reload this Page >

am in need of some help

am in need of some help

Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

oakwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default am in need of some help

hi all

after years of looking around i have decided i want to move to france with the wife and 2 children (8 and 11)

Now heres the hard bit for me to deal with what will i do!!!

We dont speak french (links to where to start would be helpful unless i buy rosetta stone)
We dont really have any quals that will help us in france (wife is doing her final year in AAT accounting)

so we are looking at the usual B&B or fishing lake campsite etc.

After selling up we might have around 70k to play with and i know this aint alot but a friend of mine is willing to go into partnership if i need to and he will double that.

Am i in dreamland or as anyone done anything similar in my position.

I aint nieve enough to think i am at the bottom end of making the move but have so fell in love with france and want the kids out of the UK to grow up.

thanks

Darren
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of
Default Re: am in need of some help

Hi,
yes - you are in cuckoo land.
But that doesn't mean its not possible.
We found the michael Thomas course the best introduction to learning French, you can pick them up from Eb ay etc.
70k or even 140k isn't really enough to buy a viable business.
Lots of people will sell you a large house in the middle of nowhere , saying its suitable for B&B , how many customers really would you expect / need to come ?
Very few businesses start off sucessful they start small and grow slowly.
Bear in mind how many rooms you need for yourselves + how many you'd like to rent out !
Away from the main tourist hotspots France has a very short holiday season ?
Maybe you could buy something suitable to renovate in a touristic area ?
Regardless you will need at least a couple of years funds to support your familly whilst the business gets going - the cost of living in France is similar to the UK.
Plus you need set up funds for the business.
Play with a pen and paper for 5 minutes and work out some figures.
Recently i saw a B&B property for rent - the owner rents it to you and you sub-let to make an income -maybe that kind of oportunity would suit you better.
Anyway - Bon Chance (good luck)
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:17 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Darren, there are some sage posters on this forum who will offer very good comment on your situation. At the ages your children are, being in school and learning French will be tough.

You do need to look for or have an area in mind. Then you need to research that area for the kind of business you are seeking. I do not know if your wife's qualifications would assist her in France; accountancy in France and associated tax is not the same as the UK.

Research is your key. Don't jump unless you are certain your have all ends tied up and you can make a go of it here. Language will be a difficulty, it is for me and I've been here a few years, so try whatever route you feel works for you. Suggest you learn with your wife, it may help. And, good luck.

Just seen Steve's post. Talks sense. Main French holiday season is July and August. For Brits a good £ to € rate would help any gite type business, but you have to promote yourself. Agree your budget, even at €140K is not high to pick up an existing business. Again, research, research.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

sootysweep is an unknown quantity at this point

Yyes I would agree with the previous. It all sounds a bit of a wish list at the moment. Sorry.. What parts of France are you thinking of. I suspect you may need to go to central or Northern France and probably rural for that sort of money. Living 5 miles from a shop is no fun for teenagers or you have to be a permanent chaffeur. Have you thought of maybe moving over to France and you (or your wife) commuting back to the UK for work on a cheap flight or maybe working from home part time. At least it give you a way back if everyone hates it after a couple of years. I the mean time - keep up with the lottery tickets.. Good luck
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steve01
Hi,
yes - you are in cuckoo land.
But that doesn't mean its not possible.
We found the michael Thomas course the best introduction to learning French, you can pick them up from Eb ay etc.
70k or even 140k isn't really enough to buy a viable business.
Lots of people will sell you a large house in the middle of nowhere , saying its suitable for B&B , how many customers really would you expect / need to come ?
Very few businesses start off sucessful they start small and grow slowly.
Bear in mind how many rooms you need for yourselves + how many you'd like to rent out !
Away from the main tourist hotspots France has a very short holiday season ?
Maybe you could buy something suitable to renovate in a touristic area ?
Regardless you will need at least a couple of years funds to support your familly whilst the business gets going - the cost of living in France is similar to the UK.
Plus you need set up funds for the business.
Play with a pen and paper for 5 minutes and work out some figures.
Recently i saw a B&B property for rent - the owner rents it to you and you sub-let to make an income -maybe that kind of oportunity would suit you better.
Anyway - Bon Chance (good luck)
where did u see the b&b for rent please?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sootysweep
Yyes I would agree with the previous. It all sounds a bit of a wish list at the moment. Sorry.. What parts of France are you thinking of. I suspect you may need to go to central or Northern France and probably rural for that sort of money. Living 5 miles from a shop is no fun for teenagers or you have to be a permanent chaffeur. Have you thought of maybe moving over to France and you (or your wife) commuting back to the UK for work on a cheap flight or maybe working from home part time. At least it give you a way back if everyone hates it after a couple of years. I the mean time - keep up with the lottery tickets.. Good luck
commuting back no a option with the kids.
Been researching for last month and was advised to look at nothern or south west for that price. Still got the options to renovate a property with land and use the land as well in some capacity. Seen some really cheap propertys and got alot of friends in the building game who could help.

Cant argue with all the comments as i have come up with them myself but i AM DETERMINED to get there somehow!

any other help is much appreciated even if negative, got 2 kids to look out for need to make sure i get this right first time.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oakwell
commuting back no a option with the kids.
Been researching for last month and was advised to look at nothern or south west for that price. Still got the options to renovate a property with land and use the land as well in some capacity. Seen some really cheap propertys and got alot of friends in the building game who could help.

Cant argue with all the comments as i have come up with them myself but i AM DETERMINED to get there somehow!

any other help is much appreciated even if negative, got 2 kids to look out for need to make sure i get this right first time.
Hi Darren
You have looked at Gibralter; Oz and NZ as alternatives to the UK and have decided not to follow these ideas.
Moving to France is many times tougher simply because of the different language and different culture.
The economy is in the mire.
You have to pay for healthcare.
Setting up a business can be very expensive.
Most french don't speak english - even though they might understand you.
You don't speak the language and it can take years to get to a decent level.
You have jobs in the UK. You have free healthcare. You have social support if appropriate. You have family support(hopefully).
Life isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.
I have previously posted that expats underestimate the following:
1. How difficult it is for a foreigner to get a job.
2. How difficult it is to cope in a foreign language.
3. How much money you need to bring initially. [1 -2 years living expenses]

I really try not to be too negative with posts like yours but my advice is don't do it mate.
I have to say how difficult this was to be so negative but you may potentially lose everything.

Good luck
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

Hi i've sent you a pm regarding the B&B - nothing to do with me i just remember seeing it on a website
Good luck
Steve
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi Darren
You have looked at Gibralter; Oz and NZ as alternatives to the UK and have decided not to follow these ideas.
Moving to France is many times tougher simply because of the different language and different culture.
The economy is in the mire.
You have to pay for healthcare.
Setting up a business can be very expensive.
Most french don't speak english - even though they might understand you.
You don't speak the language and it can take years to get to a decent level.
You have jobs in the UK. You have free healthcare. You have social support if appropriate. You have family support(hopefully).
Life isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.
I have previously posted that expats underestimate the following:
1. How difficult it is for a foreigner to get a job.
2. How difficult it is to cope in a foreign language.
3. How much money you need to bring initially. [1 -2 years living expenses]

I really try not to be too negative with posts like yours but my advice is don't do it mate.
I have to say how difficult this was to be so negative but you may potentially lose everything.

Good luck
like i say this has been looked at for years NZ i was accedpted but wife does not want to go as too far along with oz, Gib weather too warm and not the lifestyle that france offers. So not just clicking through countrys and picking done the homework on the easiest ones to get into first .

I know its hard and i will keep plugging away until i find an option!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi i've sent you a pm regarding the B&B - nothing to do with me i just remember seeing it on a website
Good luck
Steve
cheers pal
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:22 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, sorry to say that I have to agree with all the above comments.
- whatever system you use to learn French, you won't arrive here and be able to cope with all the administrative steps for setting up a business on your own, etc... or communicate with the locals
- the budget for healthcare for the family, including a Mutuelle, has to be considered
- children's schooling. The younger one should be OK in Primaire but the elder one wouldn't cope being thrown in at the deep end in Collège, unable to follow the lessons in French (not to mention not having all the basic general knowledge...). One solution would be for him/her to do last year of Primaire in order to get used to the Education System at least...
- I'm afraid that French accountancy and all that it covers is different from the UK, not to mention the fact that your wife, without speaking French, would have too much competition from English-speaking French Graduates. The unemployment rate is very high in France, both for professionals and employees, and French Graduates take lowly jobs to survive.
- From what I read on this Forum, one can't survive simply by running a B&B.

If it were just the two of you, you could go for it, but with 2 children dependent on you, you'd need a REGULAR monthly income of at least 1500€ to survive (just food and utilities) with only a couple of hundred euros per month from the Family Allowances and no other social benefits.
In the circumstances, it might be advisable to consider moving to a touristic area in the UK.
Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I'm being realistic...
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Hagg900 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Darren. Me and my wife have decided to move to France too. My only words of caution (although I'm no expert) would be that we have no kids, 2 houses to let here in the UK and will still be waiting 5-7 years until we have a decent amount of language behind us and have thoroughly investigated all of the pros and cons of the move.
From what I have found out so far, it's a lot more complicated than we first thought and the financial implications could be huge if not planned properly. That said, everyone needs a dream so good luck but dont jump too quickly.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi try these websites in the pm to give you an idea of businesses for sale/rent in France
Also go to google, type in translate and use the google translator to help you understand the French
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

hi try these websites in the pm to give you an idea of businesses for sale/rent in France
Also go to google, type in translate and use the google translator to help you understand the French
merci!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

We looked at B and B about 4 years ago, in Montauban (or near there not in the town).
It was a beautiful house with 5 guest bedrooms and two rooms for the family. It was priced at 360,000e. I don't think you'll find much for 140,000e.

In our recent experience of house hunting you'll barely find a house for that. And not one big enough for having spare rooms. And if you do you'lll need the funds to do it up because at that price more than likely it will be a wreck. Maybe the north is cheaper. The 1500e on utilities and food seems about right. Then there is the top up insurance that we haven't got round to getting yet - must do that. Thats probably another 100e a month for 4

I think the new President is putting up taxes on second home incomes (Hagg900 be aware) I don't know if this is the case if you're second homes are in the UK though so if you live in France you're probably ok. I also think he is upping the tax on rental incomes, but again I don't think this is for B and B more Gites but it's worth a check as I'm guessing. I know when we looked B and B was taxed difeerently from Gites.

I think if the children are keen, they will be fine myself. If they are willing to dig in and work hard for a few months they will get there. Our two (although younger) have learnt enough to get by at School, they both just had their first reports and did very well, all green, and have gone up a year.

Good luck though, if you can get it work in my opinion it's worth it. Went back to the UK last week and we couldn't wait to get back here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.