Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Am I able to apply for a French Passport?

Am I able to apply for a French Passport?

Old May 22nd 2014, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I able to apply for a French Passport?

Originally Posted by clothmama
I'm so glad it looks like you may be OK!

I have just spent the last week researching this same thing to try to get my hubby a French passport (we all have Aussie / UK ones). I thought I'd share my findings if anyone reads this thread and has similar circumstances.

My MIL (his Mum) is French, born there, raised there, lived there until she was in her 30's. She married my FIL (a brit) at the time where the British were forcing women to give up there nationality to become British. My mother fell into the same few years where this was the case and found it so traumatic having to vow to be a good Australian when we returned to Oz as she had been born and breed here and considered herself nothing but . So when DH was born his mother wasn't French. She has now got her French nationality back. We lived and had both our kids over there and DH considers himself more French than English having spent most of his adult life there on and off. Now we are considering returning early next year and thought it best if he got his passport but unfortunately it isn't possible as she wasnt' French when he was born (although frustratingly we could provide the birth certificate, our own personal families Livret de Famille etc wonder if it is worth a try and hope they don't notice her lapse in Frenchness )

You could always try
Old May 26th 2014, 6:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

My MIL (his Mum) is French, born there, raised there, lived there until she was in her 30's. She married my FIL (a brit) at the time where the British were forcing women to give up there nationality to become British. My mother fell into the same few years where this was the case and found it so traumatic having to vow to be a good Australian when we returned to Oz as she had been born and breed here and considered herself nothing but. So when DH was born his mother wasn't French. She has now got her French nationality back.
Britain never required this. Prior to 1949, foreign women marrying British men automatically became British, and this may have caused loss of French citizenship at the time. Laws have changed since then. But perhaps research more how your mother in law became British in the first place, and whether she ever really lost her French citizenship.
Old May 26th 2014, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Britain never required this. Prior to 1949, foreign women marrying British men automatically became British, and this may have caused loss of French citizenship at the time. Laws have changed since then. But perhaps research more how your mother in law became British in the first place, and whether she ever really lost her French citizenship.
Are you sure about that?? Seems odd that my MIL and mother had exactly the same story seperately from the same period very late 60's early 70's. Apparently it was only a very brief period of time about 3 years as it was such a silly rule. Where would I find out if this wasn't actually the case?
Old May 27th 2014, 2:02 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure about that?? Seems odd that my MIL and mother had exactly the same story seperately from the same period very late 60's early 70's. Apparently it was only a very brief period of time about 3 years as it was such a silly rule. Where would I find out if this wasn't actually the case?
I'd suggest you just have.

My MIL was married to an Englishman in 1950. She never became a British citizen and remained French (with a French, and later an EU passport) until her passing in 2011.

JAJ knows of what he speaks.
Old May 27th 2014, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'd suggest you just have.

My MIL was married to an Englishman in 1950. She never became a British citizen and remained French (with a French, and later an EU passport) until her passing in 2011.

JAJ knows of what he speaks.
He does sound very knowledgeable but he has said it was never the case which means that my MIL gave up her French and my mother her Aussie citizenship at around the same time for no reason whilst apparently being told the same law unknown to each other and in totally different areas of the UK
Old May 27th 2014, 2:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

He does sound very knowledgeable but he has said it was never the case which means that my MIL gave up her French and my mother her Aussie citizenship at around the same time for no reason whilst apparently being told the same law unknown to each other and in totally different areas of the UK
I don't claim to be any relevant sort of expert, but in a decade on this forum, I've learned to trust JAJ's expertise in these matters.

I think I can assure you from my own limited knowledge of these things that in the late sixties or early seventies there was no way that your relatives were compelled to give up their French citizenship as far as the UK was concerned. But on the Aussie bit I claim total ignorance.

Last edited by Novocastrian; May 27th 2014 at 2:29 am.
Old May 27th 2014, 6:05 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

I don't claim to be any relevant sort of expert, but in a decade on this forum, I've learned to trust JAJ's expertise in these matters.

I think I can assure you from my own limited knowledge of these things that in the late sixties or early seventies there was no way that your relatives were compelled to give up their French citizenship as far as the UK was concerned. But on the Aussie bit I claim total ignorance.
Do the French even have the facilities to give up citizenship gained by birth? Doesn't that create the possibilities of becoming a citizen of nowhere which is all a bit chicken and egg.
Old May 27th 2014, 1:53 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Do the French even have the facilities to give up citizenship gained by birth? Doesn't that create the possibilities of becoming a citizen of nowhere which is all a bit chicken and egg.
As said, no expert, but I believe it is possible to renounce French citizenship. It would be rather foolish for anyone to do so if they weren't eligible for (indeed already in possession of) an alternative.
Old May 27th 2014, 9:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

They may have lost their French/Australian citizenship as a consequence of becoming a British citizen - Australia certainly had that restriction until 2002 - but JAJ is correct in saying British nationality law has never required anyone to renounce their previous citizenship before becoming British.
Old May 28th 2014, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

As said, no expert, but I believe it is possible to renounce French citizenship. It would be rather foolish for anyone to do so if they weren't eligible for (indeed already in possession of) an alternative.
One could, and still can (I think, but IANAL) renounce French citizenship, in certain circumstances, and with some age restrictions, I believe. I vaguely recall a couple of dual nationality friends looking into this back in the Dark Ages (eighties!); it had something to do with having to do National Service in 2 countries.

On another note : I haven't been around BE for very long, but can confirm that JAJ is very worth listening to

S
Old Sep 4th 2014, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

I think I can assure you from my own limited knowledge of these things that in the late sixties or early seventies there was no way that your relatives were compelled to give up their French citizenship as far as the UK was concerned.
A little update, I spoke to the MIL this week about it and it turns out it was the French that encouraged her to give up her passport/citizenship at the time when she went to tell the she was marrying a Brit. She didn't get it back until about 10 years ago when she was organising her French pension. Still not sure where that leaves us but she is going to try calling the French embassy in London who she has dealt with to see if there is anyway for DH to become French!