Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Advice on where to buy holiday home needed Charente area....help greatly appreciated!

Advice on where to buy holiday home needed Charente area....help greatly appreciated!

Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:16 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on where to buy holiday home needed Charente area....help greatly apprecia

I'm in the Saintes club too, but I liked Cognac as well and very nearly moved there. I left France last summer, La Flèche, in La Sarthe, ..I hope not forever, but I lived there on and off for 20 odd years and for the last 13 of that permanently. During that time I experienced weeks in March that could be positively tropical, and periods in August that were pretty dire, and many many blissful summers that could not be bettered. The weather in many parts of France can certainly be much better than bits of Britain, but I think it's more of an attitude thing too...Paris can be very grey, but there are always wonderful cafés and pavement activities and people spend more time outside generally. Also, if it's the beginning of a global meltdown, then the weather in the UK will be pants too so you may as well 'suffer' in a beautiful bit of France.

I do so hope that France is coming to the end of her long and painful recession and that life might improve for so many struggling French families, that being said, if I wanted to buy a home, I'd most probably do it now too. Best of luck.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:44 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on where to buy holiday home needed Charente area....help greatly apprecia

Good timing on this thread as we're off to the Charente in a week or so and I have been considering places to stop en route. Saintes is now on the list! Any recommendations on which seaside town/place would be family friendly as a day trip from Saintes?
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Any recommendations on which seaside town/place would be family friendly as a day trip from Saintes?
Hi,
If you're looking for places to visit, in La Gironde you have the Médoc, vineyards stretching as far as the eye can see, whilst what is not being cultivated is still fairly unspoilt and wild. Little ports along the estuary are well worth a visit, as are the wine-producing estates of course.
Bordeaux is obviously worth a trip, but if it's a seaside resort you want, then try Arcachon, which will be heaving with people in August. It's where the Bordelais go in summer. It's famous for its oysters; at the end of August they are just coming into season.
There is also Royan. Royan was razed to the ground at the end of World War II when the German commander of the garrison held out until April 1945. Another few weeks and the war was over, but De Gaulle had decided a French "victory" on French soil would be good for morale after such a disastrous war. Hubris. Royan today is 'moche' as the French say, an ugly, poorly rebuilt resort, with a few remnants of its former 19th century glory along very nice beaches. A new cathedral was opened in the 50s and is slowly falling apart, as they took sand from the beaches to make the reinforced concrete, and the salt is eating its way through the whole structure.
Talmont is a beautiful little place with a wonderful church. Blaye is worth a visit too. There is such a lot to see along this coast and the surrounding area. If you're into wine, St Émilion is a must.

Have a nice trip
PB
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:46 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,
If you're looking for places to visit, in La Gironde you have the
Talmont is a beautiful little place with a wonderful church. Blaye is worth a visit too. There is such a lot to see along this coast and the surrounding area. If you're into wine, St Émilion is a must.

Have a nice trip
PB
Thank you PB, some good tips and interesting history. The little ports and Blaye sound interesting, I'll do a bit more research. Have been to St Emilion some years back and it was beautiful.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 8:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Thank you PB, some good tips and interesting history. The little ports and Blaye sound interesting, I'll do a bit more research. Have been to St Emilion some years back and it was beautiful.
Be prepared for gridlock anywhere near that coast in August.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Be prepared for gridlock anywhere near that coast in August.
True, but we're now beyond the fateful 15 août so people will be starting to pack up to head for home for the rentrée. And Shard says they're not going for a week or so.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:18 am
me/moi

I will bear the gridlock-propensity in mind when route planning as it's the last thing I need. BTW, I read that it is now essential to have a disposable breathaliser kit in the car, any idea on how to obtain one of these (cheaply).
Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Luciole is an unknown quantity at this point

Halfords is one of the best places in the UK. They have a bit of choice and at very reasonable prices. I would advise you not to wait until you reach the border crossing as the ferry companies and EuroTunnel charge way over the odds. You also now need a high visibility jacket and a warning triangle.

Last edited by Luciole; Aug 18th 2013 at 10:46 am.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:48 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by Luciole
Halfords is one the best places in the UK. They have a bit of choice and at very reasonable prices. I would advise you not to wait until you reach the border crossing as the ferry companies and EuroTunnel charge way over the odds.
Ok thanks. I didn't realise they carried them now. Need to go there for a bulb kit. Making carrying a breathliser kit compulsory for all vehicles does seem a bit OTT ... especially for those who don't drink (not that I am in that category).
Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Yes, and the irony is that if the Gendarmes stop you, they will insist on using your kit to find out if you are over the limit. This then puts you in the position of facing the dilemma of carrying a spare so that they can't then accuse you of not having one on board. Hence they sell them in pairs! But then of course, one isn't enough if you get stopped again, so you have to go any buy another set! Although this rule is applicable to all motorists, I wonder whether they are really targeting french motorists who haven't yet come to grips with the stigma of drink driving.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 11:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luciole
Yes, and the irony is that if the Gendarmes stop you, they will insist on using your kit to find out if you are over the limit. This then puts you in the position of facing the dilemma of carrying a spare so that they can't then accuse you of not having one on board. Hence they sell them in pairs! But then of course, one isn't enough if you get stopped again, so you have to go any buy another set! Although this rule is applicable to all motorists, I wonder whether they are really targeting french motorists who haven't yet come to grips with the stigma of drink driving.
I was certain that I'd read on earlier threads that the breathalyzer law had been postponed and then quietly dropped.

If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me since I haven't got one.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peabrain
True, but we're now beyond the fateful 15 août so people will be starting to pack up to head for home for the rentrée. And Shard says they're not going for a week or so.
I read recently that la canicule - i.e mid July to mid August - is called after Sirius, the DogStar.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Novo - I think you are right, but believe it was postponed not dropped.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that technically the law still requires you to carry one, because AFAIK it has never been annulled or repealed or whatever you do with laws; but the important thing is that the penalty has been removed. So even if you are convicted of not having a breathalyser, there is no penalty. So why would the flics bother to ask if you've got one.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

This is the rule:
"January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.