Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Advice on ISP /phone/TV suppliers please.

Advice on ISP /phone/TV suppliers please.

Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on ISP /phone/TV suppliers please.

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
You could use a normal dish about 60/70 point that at 28.5 then stick another Lnb on it on a "side arm bracket" each of the lnb's can be single double quad output. A Pvr normally needs two feeds to do its magic. I would defo aim to get the French stuff via 19.5 as I understand it will be gain a bunch of extra HD channels in about September of this year.

Plus TF1 HD and RTL are the best option to watch all the F1 races without having Sky then just get the commentary on bbc radio. Plus most TNTsat boxes are Canal+ ready.
All clear. But now you mention Sky: that's got the footy from UK hasn't it? How do I get that. (Me, greedy?) Non, non.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
All clear. But now you mention Sky: that's got the footy from UK hasn't it? How do I get that. (Me, greedy?) Non, non.
You can't get Sky officially unless you reside in the UK or ROI.
Most expats who want it use an address in the UK to get a viewing card and have the system set up in France/Spain.
I have also heard of pirate cards being available but I wouldn't recommend anything illegal like that on this forum
Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
You can't get Sky officially unless you reside in the UK or ROI.
Most expats who want it use an address in the UK to get a viewing card and have the system set up in France/Spain.
I have also heard of pirate cards being available but I wouldn't recommend anything illegal like that on this forum
I think I knew that actually. I can use my sister's address. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:16 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I knew that actually. I can use my sister's address. Thanks.
That works fine, Buy the decoder in advance then phone them for a subscription only contract.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:47 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
That works fine, Buy the decoder in advance then phone them for a subscription only contract.
Thanks.

But hang on. This is almost certainly a stuipd question, but do I need to point at yet another satellite to get Sky and if so which one?

<WFT hasn't France got a simple cable system?>
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

But hang on. This is almost certainly a stuipd question, but do I need to point at yet another satellite to get Sky and if so which one?

If you go into say rural Alberta, do you get cable everywhere?
In the UK, I have a friend who lives on the edge of a major city and he can't get cable because it isn't commercially viable to run cable (i.e. dig up roads and sidewalks) for this relatively small number of houses. In the major social housing estates (e.g. 50k people) you always get cable in the UK because it is cost effective with many people on state benefit there is always lots of uptake. [ Please excuse the slightly cynical right-wing comment but I havn't had my morning coffee yet ]

They are talking about running out fibre optic phone services.

Try here http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html

Last edited by cyrian; Feb 11th 2012 at 7:05 pm. Reason: addition
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:14 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

No, Sky freesat and other freesat decoders get the same channels. You need to pay Sky to get their own scrambled channels (sports and film), but a box is a box. They all have the basic function of receiving freesat channels.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 2:01 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by cjm
No, Sky freesat and other freesat decoders get the same channels. You need to pay Sky to get their own scrambled channels (sports and film), but a box is a box. They all have the basic function of receiving freesat channels.
That's a relief, thanks.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:09 am
Born again atheist

I missed this earlier cyrian, but point taken. I know nothing of rural Alberta, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can't even get mobile phone service.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:37 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK, I have a friend who lives on the edge of a major city and he can't get cable because it isn't commercially viable to run cable (i.e. dig up roads and sidewalks) for this relatively small number of houses. In the major social housing estates (e.g. 50k people) you always get cable in the UK because it is cost effective with many people on state benefit there is always lots of uptake. [ Please excuse the slightly cynical right-wing comment but I havn't had my morning coffee yet ]

They are talking about running out fibre optic phone services.

Try here http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html
live in a farming township in rural Granada, Spain.
yes they have telephones
but our house cannot have a landline as the new ruling is No Overhead Cabling, and we are not connected to the house at the end of the street as the plot between us is not developed, the interconnecting pipework is sticking out of the ground at each end. And we are inside the town, not out on the outer reaches.

So we went for a telephone and internet using a radio system, good strong signal (can actually see the transmitter from the bedroom window).

rgds