Advice

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice

Oosie I would not write it off just yet.
IMO opinion the world is changing faster than any of us old and young alike can recognise. The technology revolution has only just started, and the next few years the world will change faster than ever.
There are still a few dinosaurs who lament the loss of manufacturing jobs due to mechanical and technological substitution for low level systems and processes. Now the same thinning out will happen in lower end service jobs - not just typists and data clerks, taxi and delivery drivers but accountants, many nursing functions etc etc. (Even many of those bankers everyone loves to hate - the lower end analysis and research will very soon be performed by intelligent computers).
There will be whole new swathes of occupations created, and in my opinion it is the services that cannot be performed by machines that will flourish. Life coaching might well be one. So taxi drivers out, but possibly chauffeurs survive.
At the moment it seems to me that medical expertise will be hard to replicate, but it will not be long before machines perform most routine. Psycho-analysis might be a growth area, and personal counselling. Fitness training? Not sure on that one. Entertainment - but not of the kind that can be mechanically replicated. We might see a return to live actors, rather than films many off which are simply mechanically animated comics nowadays
Most however will be in areas that we do not perceive yet. Ned Ludd would never have foreseen the need for car mechanics. But those opportunities will come.
So just keep your mind open and think laterally.
Good luck
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Oosie9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Oosie I would not write it off just yet.
IMO opinion the world is changing faster than any of us old and young alike can recognise. The technology revolution has only just started, and the next few years the world will change faster than ever.
There are still a few dinosaurs who lament the loss of manufacturing jobs due to mechanical and technological substitution for low level systems and processes. Now the same thinning out will happen in lower end service jobs - not just typists and data clerks, taxi and delivery drivers but accountants, many nursing functions etc etc. (Even many of those bankers everyone loves to hate - the lower end analysis and research will very soon be performed by intelligent computers).
There will be whole new swathes of occupations created, and in my opinion it is the services that cannot be performed by machines that will flourish. Life coaching might well be one. So taxi drivers out, but possibly chauffeurs survive.
At the moment it seems to me that medical expertise will be hard to replicate, but it will not be long before machines perform most routine. Psycho-analysis might be a growth area, and personal counselling. Fitness training? Not sure on that one. Entertainment - but not of the kind that can be mechanically replicated. We might see a return to live actors, rather than films many off which are simply mechanically animated comics nowadays
Most however will be in areas that we do not perceive yet. Ned Ludd would never have foreseen the need for car mechanics. But those opportunities will come.
So just keep your mind open and think laterally.
Good luck
Awesome, thank you so much. So lovely to hear encouraging words! I think what I'm thinking is that, absolutely not write it off, but just look for an opportunity that may be more sustainable! I could still run some life coaching alongside whatever else I did. I just want to make sure that whatever I do is going to give me the best possible chance to be able to move and stay in France and chase that dream of a simpler and calmer life! Lol.
I'm really grateful for your thoughts and positive words - so thank you!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oosie9
I just want to make sure that whatever I do is going to give me the best possible chance to be able to move and stay in France and chase that dream of a simpler and calmer life!
If I may inject a small dose of reality - if you intend to be self-employed or run a business in France, you may need a heavy dose of Zen to find life simpler and calmer in France.
URSSAF, RSI, cotisations, taxes, health care, red tape, shifting goal posts ...
France is unfortunately not small-business-friendly at the moment and it is a very different ball game from being in business in the UK.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying, chasing dreams is good just so long as you do it with your eyes open. f you do it with your eyes closed you'll find the pitfalls the hard way.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:20 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
If I may inject a small dose of reality - if you intend to be self-employed or run a business in France, you may need a heavy dose of Zen to find life simpler and calmer in France.
France is unfortunately not small-business-friendly at the moment and it is a very different ball game from being in business in the UK.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying, chasing dreams is good just so long as you do it with your eyes open. f you do it with your eyes closed you'll find the pitfalls the hard way.
I'll second that - be very very wary of business for sale. It definitely is much, much harder to be self-employed here, and you really have to stick to the rules or they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks. I'm lucky that what I do is only a sideline, but if the auto-entrepreneur scheme ever shut up shop, I'd just have to close down as I couldn't afford to run it any other way.
Do forget any ideas of B&B unless you're in the most desirable tourist trap area - we're in a beautiful area that's virtually touristless!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

Thank you. This is why I'm exploring the thoughts and ideas now. If I were to move to France, it won't be for a couple of years yet - so I want to do things with eyes open and ensure it's actually a feasible move! So thank you, the more information I get, the more clearer picture I get!
I'm not foolish enough to believe it will just be an easy move and life will be a bed of roses, but when I'm in France, the pace of life seems a little calmer than over here where everyone races about, has no manners at all and are all very negative in thought!
So thank you for all the info, it's so helpful 😀
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I find a cubi of rosé is the only life-coaching I need!
That sounds rather good to me 😃
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I find a cubi of rosé is the only life-coaching I need!
Originally Posted by Harvester523
I'll second that - be very very wary of business for sale. It definitely is much, much harder to be self-employed here, and you really have to stick to the rules or they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks. I'm lucky that what I do is only a sideline, but if the auto-entrepreneur scheme ever shut up shop, I'd just have to close down as I couldn't afford to run it any other way.
Do forget any ideas of B&B unless you're in the most desirable tourist trap area - we're in a beautiful area that's virtually touristless!
Thank you! All this info is so helpful. I'm grateful to people taking the time to help! You just never know where to start with these ideas and dreams - so I'm glad I joined this forum! Thank you 😃
Old Jan 26th 2014, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

I thought that a lot of life coaches work solely by phone and internet these days?