Advice

Old Dec 28th 2012, 8:27 am
Just Joined

theflyingfishfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Advice

Hello all, just after abit of advice really!

Im 25 and own my own house in the UK but recently things have hit the fan a little and i feel its time to get away for a while.
My cousin lives in Les Gets in France and has done for the last year and ive decided to move out there for 6 months with him and see how everything goes.
Im going to be renting my house out to cover my mortgage but im not sure what else i need to sort out before i leave (May 1st) as im not sure if it will only be for 6 months or a bit more permanent.

Things like:
CGT, Pension, National Insurance, Health Care, Driving License
i just need some advice on things as im alittle outa my depth and want to get myself sorted before i leave!

Many Thanks
Richard
Old Dec 28th 2012, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice

Originally Posted by theflyingfishfinger
Hello all, just after abit of advice really!

Im 25 and own my own house in the UK but recently things have hit the fan a little and i feel its time to get away for a while.
My cousin lives in Les Gets in France and has done for the last year and ive decided to move out there for 6 months with him and see how everything goes.
Im going to be renting my house out to cover my mortgage but im not sure what else i need to sort out before i leave (May 1st) as im not sure if it will only be for 6 months or a bit more permanent.

Things like:
CGT, Pension, National Insurance, Health Care, Driving License
i just need some advice on things as im alittle outa my depth and want to get myself sorted before i leave!

Many Thanks
Richard
Firstly, are you entitled to an S1 from DWP? It's imperative that you have this if you are to live in France for six months or more (which would classify you as a French resident). Your UK driving licence is fine and legal.
What will you do for an income?
Old Dec 28th 2012, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you will be working, why not visit for 6 months and see how it goes. Then if you decide to stay for longer, you will need to sort out your healthcare. You should also fill in a tax return in the April of the year in which you become a resident of France. If you take your car you will need to re-register it in France, but changing your driving licence is optional. Not sure what CGT you might be thinking about.

If you have some work lined up, then you should contact HMRC and DWP before you set off and tell them you will be working abroad. It's likely that for 6 months they will still decide to class you as UK resident but it will depend on the nature of the work contract.

If after 6 months, or sooner, you decide to stay, you will need to fill in various forms, but until you decide to leave the UK permanently you will officially remain a UK resident so you can't start doing any of this stuff yet.

But although you can't do anything , you should start planning. During your six month visit, look into how healthcare works when you move to France so that when you come to make your decision you will know your entitlements; it might have a bearing on your decision.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 8:57 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, others with wiser words will be along to support you. The Search section will hold lots of posts on the topics you raise. I would also expect your cousin to be able to advise on some of your queries.
CGT won't apply if you are renting. At age 25, not sure how pension fits into the scenario, nor NI.
Health care you cousin can advise on I would feel, but you will be covered for the six months by UK. Again, there are links here to give information.
Your Photocard licence is EU recognised; you may wish to bring paperwork showing your NCB on insurance as this can be a sticky point with some French brokers.

Last edited by cjm; Dec 28th 2012 at 8:59 am. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 28th 2012, 9:15 am
Just Joined

theflyingfishfinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the replies!
For work i shall be doing some architecture work along with some labour/front of house/bar work over the summer. i am a good skiing so i imagine i will end up staying for the winter season aswell, the point of going in the summer is to get settled rather than going in the winter and dossing in the snow!

I will look into the HMRC and see what they say.
What is an S1 from the DWP?
Old Dec 28th 2012, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by theflyingfishfinger
Many thanks for the replies!
For work i shall be doing some architecture work along with some labour/front of house/bar work over the summer. i am a good skiing so i imagine i will end up staying for the winter season aswell, the point of going in the summer is to get settled rather than going in the winter and dossing in the snow!

I will look into the HMRC and see what they say.
What is an S1 from the DWP?
Any work you do in France has to be either salaried or in a registered self-employed capacity. Anything else is illegal. You'll struggle to find salaried employment as a labourer due to the extortionate contributions in France (unless your cousin has already lined this up for you).

An S1 will be provided if you have paid sufficient NI contributions and is imperative to cover you for health care. This will still need there may be a shortfall of 30% which you'll have to pay for. Be sure to look into your health cover as a matter of priority. It's a legal requirement in France.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

fishfinger, basically the point is that you need to be in the national health system of one country and only one country. Normally that's the country where you live and work, but when you're in the process of moving between 2 countries there is a transition period when it's not clearcut - especially since France and the UK have different systems. You'll have to play it by ear, see what contracts of employment you are offered, keep the authorities informed and let them decide. For instance, if you move to France with a seasonal contract working for a UK-based company you would probably be kept in the NHS. If you are offered a long-term contract by a French employer, or if you set up a new freelance business activity in France, you wouldn't. As Garonne pointed out, all paid work must be covered by a formal contract of one kind or another, and if you are self-employed you must be registered as a business.

Tax isn't an issue at the moment because PAYE doesn't really exist in France; you pay your tax in arrears, and by the time you fill your form in in April 2014 you will be able to state exactly what your working pattern was between 1 Jan and 31 Dec 2013, so the authorities will be able to assess you correctly. It's NI that is complicated when you're not sure how the future will work out. Been there, done that. You tell the authorities what you're doing, and by the time they've got round to advising you on that, your circumstances have changed and you're doing something different. The uncertainty of it all can get irritating and worrying actually but as long as you keep everyone informed you will be in the clear, and once you are settled it will all sort itself out.

Have fun