British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   3g Pay as you go telephone provider (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/3g-pay-you-go-telephone-provider-814715/)

llareggub Nov 10th 2013 7:25 am

3g Pay as you go telephone provider

Hi...

A brief stop by the French boards for a Brit from Hungary.

I'm looking for a reliable 3G Pay As You Go telephone provider for an Photography project I am running in St Malo for a ship builder, any information that you kind folk can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Brian

cyrian Nov 10th 2013 12:15 pm

Re: 3g Pay as you go telephone provider

Hi Brian,
You can get PAYG from Orange; SFR; Bouygues and Free as well as major supermarkets like Auchan and Carrefour.
Why don't you have a look at the respective websites.
I don't know what you mean by reliable but these are the major providers.
PAYG is time-limited in France e.g. €15 for 1 month for a certain amount of calls and texts. Internet access would be extra although wifi is available in some restaurants and hotels.
You need a French address to buy a SIMM but you can give a friends address or a hotel address or simply make up an address - but I am not sure if you need proof of address.
An American friend of mine just talked the shop staff into selling him a SIMM and he left France before his SIMM was deactivated.
Good luck

dmu Nov 10th 2013 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 10984699)
but I am not sure if you need proof of address.

I seem to recollect showing my ID (indicating address) when I bought my last PAYG Orange phone.

aboris Nov 10th 2013 3:57 pm

On a recent trip to France I bought an SFR SIM for 15 Euros (from a stand in the entrance to the Carrefour in Soyoux, Angouleme) which only needs topping up once every 6 months. I had to give a French address - gave my hotel and shoed my UK driving license card as proof of ID. Hope this info helps

cyrian Nov 10th 2013 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by aboris (Post 10984871)
On a recent trip to France I bought an SFR SIM for 15 Euros (from a stand in the entrance to the Carrefour in Soyoux, Angouleme) which only needs topping up once every 6 months. I had to give a French address - gave my hotel and shoed my UK driving license card as proof of ID. Hope this info helps

If you don't use your phone for 6 months then the SIMM is switched off.
The following is from the SFR site:

Recharge 5€ valable 1 semaine
Recharge 10€ valable 2 semaines
Recharge 15€ valable 1 mois
Recharge 25€ valable 2 mois (+5€ offerts)
Recharge 35€ valable 3 mois (+10€ offerts)
Recharge 65€ valable 4 mois (+20€ offerts)
Recharge 95€ valable 5 mois (+45€ offerts)

I am not aware of other SFR SIMMs that are PAYG that does not have an expiry date as above.
You can get their RED subscription at €5 per month ongoing.

TinaBee Nov 11th 2013 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by llareggub (Post 10984443)
Hi...

A brief stop by the French boards for a Brit from Hungary.

I'm looking for a reliable 3G Pay As You Go telephone provider for an Photography project I am running in St Malo for a ship builder, any information that you kind folk can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Brian

I admit I don't always know what the latest technology is about, but if I have understood your requirement and you want a 3G dongle (clé) in order to connect a laptop or other device to the internet, then I can recommend the Domino pay as you go from Orange.

If you have a delivery address you can order online here:

http://boutique.orange.fr/ESHOP_mx_o...ee_appel=ORESH

They are much more expensive if you buy one in an Orange shop.

Im_and_Er Nov 12th 2013 6:38 am

Have a look at Lycamobile

They have an English site and an English help line which can be very useful.