Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

2nd Time around

2nd Time around

Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd Time around

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Cornwell was rebuilt by the chap who built Portmeirion. A really pretty village, well worth a looksee.
OK. Spellcheck malfunction.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Pondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Presumably your wife is British too. If not then I suggest you have a look at the thread on here all about non-EU spouses.
Yep, she's more British than I am...
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Pondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Aaaagh - don't get me started Pondlife
I've managed to pay as little as I can in the UK being Self Employed and putting everything from wife and dogs to loo roll and gym off to tax. I fear those days are short lived now I'll be relocating.

One of my friends who is doing similar work as myself has his money paid into offshore pre-paid credit cards. Apparently it's almost impossible to trace. Even the UK PPCC you can have up to £25000 in them in Dollars, Euros or Pounds, and draw out £7500 a day on them. Very easy to take money across international borders. Not that ever would

Last edited by Pondlife; Apr 9th 2014 at 2:21 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pondlife
One of my friends who is doing similar work as myself has his money paid into offshore pre-paid credit cards. Apparently it's almost impossible to trace. Even the UK PPCC you can have up to £25000 in them in Dollars, Euros or Pounds, and draw out £7500 a day on them. Very easy to take money across international borders. Not that ever would
Hmm.
If you do turn out classed as resident in France and having to fill in a French tax form, you are required to declare all overseas bank accounts each year. Not what's in them, just the fact that they exist. Not sure if a pre-paid credit card account would count?
From memory the penalty for not declaring is a flat rate of 1500€ per undeclared account per year, plus the tax you should have paid and didn't, plus the fine. It soon mounts up.
They'd need to be guaranteed impossible to trace before I risked it, never mind almost impossible to trace.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

I agree.
My friend doesn't actually live anywhere. He spends a month at work and then the company pays for a flight for him to go anywhere in the world as long as the cost is the same as going back to the UK - any more and he has to pay the difference.
he then spend 4 weeks in which ever country he chooses and literally spends all his money on enjoying himself and then returns to work. He carries Euro, $ and £ PPCC and some loose change in a bizarre range or currencies. I don't think he's ever heard of a tax man, when I've asked him about it he looks at me like I'm mad - which I probably am compared to his lifestyle.
Oh what it must be like to be young.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:56 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pondlife

Pondlife, I think you may have solved a little conundrum here. Some time ago someone in France (Pau I think) was fined €1,500 for having an undeclared PayPal account. Everyone was a little surprised and wondered if all French PayPal customers would get a similar fine. If it turns out he had a pre-paid PayPal credit card then this would make more sense.

Anyhow as ET says this would have to be no-risk to be worth doing as the fines would seriously mount up over the 10-odd years that the fisc are allowed to go back.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Re the PayPal thing, I did read last year that if it's a business PayPal account you have to declare it, if it's a personal PayPayl account you don't. But the pre-paid thing could be a different issue.