Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

2nd Home Owners in France - 6-month visa?

2nd Home Owners in France - 6-month visa?

Old Aug 31st 2020, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

UpinAnniesRoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2nd Home Owners in France - 6-month visa?

Post Brexit will UK 2nd home owners be able to get a 6-month visa for France in order to avoid a return to UK after 3 months?
This would be purely for tourist use.
If so, what are the requirements?
Thanks in advance.
UiAR
Old Aug 31st 2020, 10:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd Home Owners in France - 6-month visa?

On the asumption that France isn't going to create a special visa for post-Brexit British citizens, you should look at the existing visas that the French government issues. The information I think you need is found here - scroll down for visitor visas for periods exceeding three months.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

I didn't see any reference to what I call the 6 month rue for the Schengen area.

I understand that you can spend a total of 3 months (not necessarily consecutively within a six month period.

Does the counting begin on your first arrival in a Schengen area.

That would mean that if I went to France in May and June , and then went again in September, I couldn't stay on during October as well.

However, if I went on a mini break to Amsterdam, Rome, or Bratislava (in January or February), the clock would start ticking , and six months later (in September ) , I could spend two or three months in France(or anywhere else).

Is there an EU site for Schengen that I could check out the three out of six months rule?
Old Sep 8th 2020, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

You're overcomplicating things.
It literally means that you can spend 90 days out of every 180 days in Schengen. The clock is ticking all the time, you can't start it or stop it. You count the days on a rolling basis, and out of any 180 day period, you must make sure you spend at least as many days out of Schengen as in it.
There's a calculator here https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/fr/...teur-schengen/ (scroll down). Just enter the date of entry into Schengen and the date of leaving Schengen for each visit, and it will tell you how many days you have left (if any).
Old Sep 9th 2020, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

Thanks for the Link. Because it had a disclaimer, re liability, I had a look elsewhere and came up with this.
https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-news...ct-uk-citizens

Depending on what happens over the coming weeks, we may have to pay £30 p.p . every six months.
Alternatively, there is this etiasvisa in 2022, but I couldn't see any reference to cost.

I t looks as if I will need to persuade my wife to apply for an Irish Passport as she was born in Belfast.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may be confusing two separate things here.

As I understand it, ETIAS is a proposal for how to tighten up checks on travellers. At present certain categories of people can currently enter the EU for short stays by simply showing a passport, which isn't great security. It's envisaged that this may change in the future and a visa requirement will be introduced even for short stays BUT the ETIAS scheme will provide an alternative - people will be able to apply through the ETIAS process and if they are cleared, that will waive their need for a visa for short stays. But I don't think it will alter the visa requirement for people wishing to make longer stays.

I suggested the above link because you seemed to be asking about how the 90/180 rule works in practice, so I thought you might find the calculator helpful. The disclaimer is simply pointing out that it's your responsibility to check the accuracy of the calculation - they're not going to pay your fine for you if the calculator gets a gremlin in it and tells you you can stay in Schengen for another two days when in fact you only have one day left, and you don't check the figures, and you get fined by overstaying by a day. But it looks like a useful tool for anyone who wants to sketch out a rough plan of how to spread out their visits over a year or so.