Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

100,000 limit & investments

100,000 limit & investments

Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:38 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 100,000 limit & investments

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
I did not know that.

My apologies if you thought my earlier response was a bit glib. I was jumping between things.
Not at all. I just assumed you didn't know I was outside the EU.

And of course, you're right in so far as any DAT gains are balanced by exchange rate changes, but not exactly a lot of choices given that I have to get money to France in advance of my arrival.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 4:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
Not at all. I just assumed you didn't know I was outside the EU.

And of course, you're right in so far as any DAT gains are balanced by exchange rate changes, but not exactly a lot of choices given that I have to get money to France in advance of my arrival.
Do you know if there's a maximum amount you can transfer into one of these accounts and can you post a link to a more detailed description (in French is fine...) Thx.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 8:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

^^ I found it myself. The upper limit is 500,000 euro.

That should be enough.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 10:24 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
^^ I found it myself. The upper limit is 500,000 euro.

That should be enough.

For this month?
Old Oct 4th 2014, 10:30 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JWL
For this month?
Next June actually.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 10:35 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, its all about 'risk & reward'. Gilts, government bonds that pay less than the cost of living increases -hopefully the country doesn't go bust.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...-k-credit.html

Cash under the mattress (so to speak) in three different currencies depending where you live or in a single currency where you spend most of your time.

Even with 100K, 500K or a cool million to invest - do you want to have your investment somewhere that you know the risk is even as low as 1%, with or without FX fluctuations?

Preservation of capital is key.

Do not let anyone tell you of an investment that is 'guaranteed' - that only means, that the person telling you that has a personal gain.

Last edited by not2old; Oct 4th 2014 at 11:10 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 11:56 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

which is your currency of choice - swiss franc or the euro?
Old Oct 5th 2014, 6:26 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
For this month?
Old Oct 5th 2014, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the risk to UK or French banks is now quite small because of the support from governments / central banks.
In 2008, I happened to have some large deposits (in excess of the guarantee limits) in a UK bank and I have to say that I had a very worrying week until the UK government bailed the bank out.
Today, I have my "risk" spread over a wide range of investment vehicles.
Cyprus was a particular case where the ECB did not want to bail out the Cypriot banks because there was a LOT of Russian money in the system amongst other reasons.
If, for example, the Bank of France tried to do the same thing where it was hurting the French upper/ political/ business class then all hell would be set loose. The recent AF pilots' strike would seem like a walk in the park.
During the financial crisis, I "lost" about 30% of my investment value although I had "gained" over 40% over the previous 3 years. Today, those investments are back at pre-crash levels and I didn't lose any capital - only growth.
Risk is not about all or nothing but about spreading "risk" to minimise potential loss which may not arise.
The investment strategy for €50k would be different from that for a cool €1M.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

A very frightening time indeed.

The Bank of England is reported to be considering additional protection - up to a million.

Bank of England to protect deposits of up to £1m under new rules - Telegraph
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:56 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

A very frightening time indeed.

The Bank of England is reported to be considering additional protection - up to a million.

Bank of England to protect deposits of up to £1m under new rules - Telegraph
My understanding is that this proposed guarantee is very limited in scope and is not intended to protect long-term deposits.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
My understanding is that this proposed guarantee is very limited in scope and is not intended to protect long-term deposits.
+1
Quite correct. It is not for general deposits.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes true

But then, if one had a million, who would leave long term money in a bank anyway?

The point is surely that those of us who are selling a home to retire or move overseas have some additional protection?
Old Oct 6th 2014, 7:03 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Yes true

But then, if one had a million, who would leave long term money in a bank anyway?
Don't suppose you'll get many answers here
Old Oct 6th 2014, 7:09 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas

As soon as you see, beyond the glaring headline of great news, something like 'under certain conditions' you can be absolutely sure you will not be the 1 in 1 million to meet these conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.