Road Trip

Old Apr 7th 2018, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Road Trip

So we're originally from Ashford in Kent. We decided to go for a road trip with friends of ours also from our home town to Ashford in NSW, about a 1700 Km round trip via Tamorth on the way there and Gloucester on the way back.

I'd heard it said that there was history between the Anglican church in Ashford NSW and the St Mary's Parish church in Ashford Kent.

I got in touch with a few people and arranged to go to the Easter service (Felt it was the respectful thing to do). So we arrived, and told the minister of our journey and origins, and pretty much became local celebrities (Population 570).

Saw a plaque on the lectern up at the front and went to have a look. A gift from the church of Ashford Kent to the Church of Ashford NSW 1923, awesome .

Met some great people, and cemented some friendships, best Easter ever.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 10:09 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road Trip

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
So we're originally from Ashford in Kent. We decided to go for a road trip with friends of ours also from our home town to Ashford in NSW, about a 1700 Km round trip via Tamorth on the way there and Gloucester on the way back.

I'd heard it said that there was history between the Anglican church in Ashford NSW and the St Mary's Parish church in Ashford Kent.

I got in touch with a few people and arranged to go to the Easter service (Felt it was the respectful thing to do). So we arrived, and told the minister of our journey and origins, and pretty much became local celebrities (Population 570).

Saw a plaque on the lectern up at the front and went to have a look. A gift from the church of Ashford Kent to the Church of Ashford NSW 1923, awesome .

Met some great people, and cemented some friendships, best Easter ever.
Aw, that's lovely!

How was the journey?
Old Apr 7th 2018, 10:25 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Ashford SA next?
Old Apr 7th 2018, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Aw, that's lovely!

How was the journey?
It was really good fun, work talk was banned and it was just good fun and no pressure at all. The perfect short break

Originally Posted by GarryP
Ashford SA next?
It's strange you should mention that Garry, it's on the cards for later in the year
Old Apr 9th 2018, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
It was really good fun, work talk was banned and it was just good fun and no pressure at all. The perfect short break

It's strange you should mention that Garry, it's on the cards for later in the year
What a great trip. The only thing I've done close to that is visit the "Crystal Palace hotel" in central Sydney years back. They were only vaguely aware of the Football team. Bit of a disappointment for me as I felt like I was doing some kind of great pilgrimage. Couldn't believe they didn't acknowledge their namesake in at least some small way. Not even the old exhibition building.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
What a great trip. The only thing I've done close to that is visit the "Crystal Palace hotel" in central Sydney years back. They were only vaguely aware of the Football team. Bit of a disappointment for me as I felt like I was doing some kind of great pilgrimage. Couldn't believe they didn't acknowledge their namesake in at least some small way. Not even the old exhibition building.
That's a shocker, I hope you got drunk and gave them what for. We were lucky that the people there thought our road trip was as important as we did so we didn't get the disappointment.

Off the back of this though, I had a message from an artist local to Ashford in the UK. She asked if it would be ok to use our 'pilgrimage' and the lectern story in art work she's doing for a new shopping centre (like a depiction of Ashfordian stories from Ashfordians). Of course I said of course

My man cave is caled the Nags Head, so whenever I'm away I like to visit any like named pubs and nick stuff too