Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

A pleasant surprise in the mail yesterday

A pleasant surprise in the mail yesterday

Old Apr 14th 2018, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default A pleasant surprise in the mail yesterday

We've been here 12 years this year. When we left the UK we took great care to make sure all our financial affairs were in order, cancelled all our UK accounts, transferred our pensions via QROPS, left open one current a/c for our visits back, told the Inland Revenue and the DHSS (or whatever they're called this week) that we were gone.

About 8 months ago I received a form from the pension people asking for all my UK employment history and residential addresses since 1985, filled it in, sent it off and thought no more of it.

Yesterday's mail brought a letter from a UK life insurance company who I've never had any dealings with, or so I thought, asking me to log onto my account (that I didn't know I had) and confirm my details. I duly went onto the website, registered myself, and did the necessary, then clicked on my account expecting to find a few hundred quid maybe from way back when at one of the many jobs I had.

It was in five figures, and not at the low end...reckon a few beers might be quaffed today.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 2:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A pleasant surprise in the mail yesterday

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
We've been here 12 years this year. When we left the UK we took great care to make sure all our financial affairs were in order, cancelled all our UK accounts, transferred our pensions via QROPS, left open one current a/c for our visits back, told the Inland Revenue and the DHSS (or whatever they're called this week) that we were gone.

About 8 months ago I received a form from the pension people asking for all my UK employment history and residential addresses since 1985, filled it in, sent it off and thought no more of it.

Yesterday's mail brought a letter from a UK life insurance company who I've never had any dealings with, or so I thought, asking me to log onto my account (that I didn't know I had) and confirm my details. I duly went onto the website, registered myself, and did the necessary, then clicked on my account expecting to find a few hundred quid maybe from way back when at one of the many jobs I had.

It was in five figures, and not at the low end...reckon a few beers might be quaffed today.
Woo Hoo - very nice surprise. Definitely time for