Fires in Victoria

Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fires in Victoria

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
Glad ya posted, matie...was going to text you in a little bit to make sure you were all ok....

You should see Bendigo...I took some pics yesterday and posted them on here, but its much worse this morning. Its just so damn still....and with the smoke it sure is a weird feeling going outside...
The whole place was like a speia photograph yesterday which was really wierd but it is all white again today. The ash in the smoke is the strangest thing for us and it is playing havoc with Joseph's asthma.
Anyhow we are all OK at the moment and are just praying that the Warby Ranges behind us doesn't go up, unfortunately this fire is only the beginning of a busy summer here!
Nicky
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

We can smell smoke from the NE Alpine fires - 100k away.

I'm sat at home with my orange trousers on waiting for local calls as it is a TFB today.

I don't leave our area for a number of reasons - young daughter and pregnant wife. At this stage I respond to 000 calls and local events - I do not go interstate or outside our area!

I'm more interested in all the urban/structural Search and Rescue aspect - bush fire bores me lol.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Dec 8th 2006 at 11:45 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:44 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyP
The whole place was like a speia photograph yesterday which was really wierd but it is all white again today. The ash in the smoke is the strangest thing for us and it is playing havoc with Joseph's asthma.
Anyhow we are all OK at the moment and are just praying that the Warby Ranges behind us doesn't go up, unfortunately this fire is only the beginning of a busy summer here!
Nicky

Yup, it sure is....I havent experienced smoke this bad for a very long time. I think the only time I have been through anything worse than this smoke was the big Dust Storm I think in '83...that was a shocker....

I am surprised Paul hasnt been called out yet actually. From what I understand they havent called on any of the Bendigo crews....
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:45 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'm sat at home with my orange trousers on waiting for local calls.

I don't leave our area for a number of reasons - young daughter and pregnant wife. At this stage I respond to 000 calls and local events - I do not go interstate or outside our area!

Good for you.....but what you ARE doing is every bit as important. Good on ya!!!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you.....but what you ARE doing is every bit as important. Good on ya!!!
You have to weigh up risk and property. Locals would prefer we protect them!
It is a consideration.....(!)
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I flew from Adelaide to Melbourne yesterday and about 20 minutes from landing we went through what I thought was a cloud until the pilot came on and said it was smoke. Those on the left side of the plane could see the fires off in the distance although I couldn't.
How very frightening for those who live in the fire danger areas. You volunteer firefighters have my respect and admiration. I think you all deserve far more recognition than you get.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised Paul hasnt been called out yet actually. From what I understand they havent called on any of the Bendigo crews....
They are probably waiting as they know that there will be more through the summer and they can't drag everyone away for this fire and leave other areas unprotected. Unfortunately I am sure that he will get a call soon enough .
Nicky
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How very frightening for those who live in the fire danger areas. You volunteer firefighters have my respect and admiration. I think you all deserve far more recognition than you get.
Ditto. Paid firefighters are heroes, what does that make these guys?

Glad you've stayed behind Badge, as well as your family needing you I'm sure your community needs you too. At our local CFA they've only left us with the guys who don't turn up to training (probably for good reason) but it will mean that most of the best ones have left and if there are any incidents here thngs could go back.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 1:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flip
Ditto. Paid firefighters are heroes, what does that make these guys?

Glad you've stayed behind Badge, as well as your family needing you I'm sure your community needs you too. At our local CFA they've only left us with the guys who don't turn up to training (probably for good reason) but it will mean that most of the best ones have left and if there are any incidents here thngs could go back.
They balance it so that the Vic guys like Badge can work locally if needed, so to make up the numbers on the fireground the bring in guys from out of state - there are some NSW/ACT guys down there, and ACT with our QLD guys working on the NSW ones.
The unsung heroes that never get a mention in the fires are the SES - usually kept well back from the firefront itself, but they provide food and drink and shelter etc for the Firies. We have sent SES and Emergency Management Queensland guys down with chainsaws too, into the Blue Mountains, helping with clearing firebreaks ahead of the front.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They balance it so that the Vic guys like Badge can work locally if needed, so to make up the numbers on the fireground the bring in guys from out of state - there are some NSW/ACT guys down there, and ACT with our QLD guys working on the NSW ones.
The unsung heroes that never get a mention in the fires are the SES - usually kept well back from the firefront itself, but they provide food and drink and shelter etc for the Firies. We have sent SES and Emergency Management Queensland guys down with chainsaws too, into the Blue Mountains, helping with clearing firebreaks ahead of the front.
Indeed! It's the people from out of state and the country I admire which is why I make it clear that, currently, I'm a local boy. Other unattributed people are the people who man crisis cells - staffed planning and response IT-equipped centres at short notice just in case.

The Ash Wednesday fires showed that planning, comms and control were inadequate. They are a lot better at it now.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

I would hate to omit anyone, I'm awed by the work of volunteers and employees, local, national and international. Thanks to all of these fantastic men and women.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 3:12 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Its carnage out there. Its so smokey we have no view at all down to port phillip bay etc. On our way back from the hospital we normally see the whole of the Dandenong ranges, they have kind of gone :scared: Under a yellow mist.

It feels kind of eerie. Thoughts are with anyone living up there at the moment
Old Dec 9th 2006, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hevs
Its carnage out there. Its so smokey we have no view at all down to port phillip bay etc. On our way back from the hospital we normally see the whole of the Dandenong ranges, they have kind of gone :scared: Under a yellow mist.

It feels kind of eerie. Thoughts are with anyone living up there at the moment
Normally we can see Hev's village from our hill. Now we can't -it's obscured by smoke. It's amazing how it drifts.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 3:24 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Normally we can see Hev's village from our hill. Now we can't -it's obscured by smoke. It's amazing how it drifts.
Yeah but since we put the curtains up you can't see into my shower anymore
Old Dec 9th 2006, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

I took these photos this morning of the smoke haze around the Mornington area.
It's a bit unnerving and we are not in the midst of it. Good luck to anyone near the danger areas.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11418025@N00/

Caroline

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.