Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Working visa advice - please help!

Working visa advice - please help!

Old Oct 13th 2006, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

lucyporter78 has a brilliant futurelucyporter78 has a brilliant futurelucyporter78 has a brilliant futurelucyporter78 has a brilliant futurelucyporter78 has a brilliant futurelucyporter78 has a brilliant futurelucyporter78 has a brilliant futurelucyporter78 has a brilliant future
Question Working visa advice - please help!

My husband might be transferring to Hong Kong with work. His employer would sort out his visa and will help us move but would I be able to get a working visa? And how (British Passport holder)? I have just been through a nightmare year dealing with US immigration (I know - all change!) so ANY help on this would be really useful.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working visa advice - please help!

Originally Posted by lucyporter78
My husband might be transferring to Hong Kong with work. His employer would sort out his visa and will help us move but would I be able to get a working visa? And how (British Passport holder)? I have just been through a nightmare year dealing with US immigration (I know - all change!) so ANY help on this would be really useful.
Have you checked the Chinese government's webpages on working in HK? That would be a starting point.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:47 am
Just Joined

cheesindave is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lucy

Immigration in HK can be very tough.
First of all you need to find a job with a company willing to sponsor your visa. For a foreigner to get a work visa they have to prove that they have skills that locals do not possess.

If you are coming to HK with your Husband, you may well be entitled to a Dependants visa. But with a Dependants visa you are not allowed to work.

My advice if you are serious about moving to Hong Kong, if you are not already a teacher, do a CELTA/TESOL course and become a native english teacher. They are in demand in Hong Kong and thus is far easier to obtain a work visa.

This HK gov website should help.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4_2.htm

Good luck.

Last edited by cheesindave; Oct 18th 2006 at 6:51 am.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Laura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheesindave

If you are coming to HK with your Husband, you may well be entitled to a Dependants visa. But with a Dependants visa you are not allowed to work.
Has this changed recently? I worked legally on a dependent's visa five years ago in Hong Kong.

Laura in China
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:33 am
Just Joined

jaykayhk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheesindave
Actually as long as your husband secures a working visa you will be entitled to a dependant visa which will allow you to work in HK. The rules preventing the dependants of working visa holders from working changed on the 15th May this year - you may refer to this for more information http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/2...0605120193.htm