Where to live in HK?

Old Apr 16th 2001, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Scottula has a brilliant futureScottula has a brilliant futureScottula has a brilliant futureScottula has a brilliant futureScottula has a brilliant futureScottula has a brilliant future

I'm considering moving to HK. Assuming money is not such an issue, where is the best place to live? I'll be working in Central. I am married with a kid on the way. Have heard Repulse Bay and Stanley are very pleasant but am worried it'll be a bit of a hike to work every day. Am very attracted to the mid-levels for this reason. Summing things up, where should we definitely not live and where should we strongly consider?

Many thanks, any info helpful.
Old Apr 17th 2001, 2:15 pm
Steve Kellett

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

When I was a fully-financed ex-pat in Hong Kong back in '96 I lived on Robinson Road
in Mid Levels. My apartment there was in a newly opened building and the rent was
HK$27000 pcm for 1100 HK SqFt[1] (unfurnished). This was considered cheap at the
time. Repulse Bay (otherwise known as Repulsive Bay with the usual leaden humour) was
about twice the price for something the same size. Travel to Repulse Bay isn't that
bad. The Express Bus to Central takes about 20 minutes.

A couple of friends still in Hong Kong have migrated to Happy Valley of late, which
seems to have moved into the "relatively good value" bracket.

Another popular place with the breeder set was Discovery (AKA Delivery) Bay (Note the
same leaden wit...), which was a sort of Gweilo Ghetto over on Lantau Island,
although I hear there are actually a few locals out there now. There's a Turbo-Cat
ferry service straight in to Central, well, actually Sheung Wan since they moved the
out-lying Island Ferry Terminal to somewhere that used to be about 100m off-shore
when I first arrived there.

I've been out of there since '97, I return every few months for familiar commitments
but I'm not really up to speed on rents there. Although my Brother In Law's got a
spare apartment out in Quarry Bay that he rents out for HK$15,000 pcm (750 HK SqFt).

Cheers - Steve K

1) Not to be confused with occupiable SqFt. Apartment sizes in Hong Kong include the
following: Your share of the shared areas of the building (Lift shafts, lobbies,
cleaner's rooms, security lodges, the lot). Half the thickness of any walls you
have in common with other apartments. The complete thickness of any exterior
walls. Your share of any air shafts held in common with other apartments. Your
1000 SqFt apartment probably means you have 800-850 SqFt to live in.

Old Apr 17th 2001, 10:48 pm
Huopa

This depends on what you want from your flat. If you want the extreme inner-city
feeling with city views there are some new, pretty luxurious apartments on the
Kowloon side at Kowloon Station (The Waterfront), Olympic Station (Park Avenue,
Island Harbourview and Central Park) and at Hung Hom (Laguna Verde, Harbourfront
Landmark) that also have quite convenient transportation to Central with either MTRC
or express buses. If you don't like the city hassle so much, but still prefer to live
near city then perhaps Mid-levels, south Happy Valley area or Kowloon Tong. I used to
live in Kowloon Tong, which is about the only low-rise area left in urban HK with
more or less quiet surroundings and MTR link to Central. Then if you like the nature
I suggest South Island (Repulse Bay), Discovery Bay or some of the New Territories
areas. They just take a longer time to Central, Repulse Bay being the closest and
some fringe areas of New Territories the most distant ones. I liked Mid-levels the
most. It has this superb escalator link to Central and beautiful views. There are
some good shows on the biggest developers in HK. Have a look: http://www.shkp.com.hk/
(click residential) http://www.hld.com.hk/ (click english / property sales & leasing)

Good for you... I miss HK a lot.

Huopa

Scottula wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 18th 2001, 1:55 am
Miguel Cruz

>
    >

Ah, the class, the refinement...

"The Belcher's: A Rare Privilege for the Precious Few"

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu

Old Apr 18th 2001, 2:05 am
Stuart Hofmann

Miguel Cruz wrote:

>
    >
    >

They say "The Farter's" is a gas, too.

Old Apr 24th 2001, 10:56 am
Amanda

It depends on your budget. You will pay far more to live at Repulse Bay/Stanley than
you will for other places on the Island. It also depends on how timid your wife/you
are. The two areas you mentioned tend to be very expat based areas which may be good
if you are not keen on the move to HK.

I don't like mid-levels as it is incredibly dense living but if you are coming from
another major city you may well be used to it. Also I wouldn't want to raise a young
child in such a confined area. It would be very convenient for you though workwise.

Check out other areas such as Happy Valley, Jardines' Lookout, Shui Fai Terrace,
Stubbs Road for alternatives.

Amanda

--

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 25th 2001, 5:48 pm
Peter L peterl

If money is not an issue, mid level is the place to be. Millions of children have
been raised in this city (me being one of them). Most of them turns out to live a
productive live.

>
    >
on
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
wouldn't
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I'm considering moving to HK. Assuming money is not such an issue, where is the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > best place to live? I'll be working in Central. I am married with a kid on the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > way. Have heard Repulse Bay and Stanley are very pleasant but am worried it'll be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > a bit of a hike to work every day. Am very attracted to the mid-levels for this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > reason. Summing things up, where should we definitely not live and where should[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > we strongly consider?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Many thanks, any info helpful.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

Old Apr 27th 2001, 10:52 pm
Amanda

Yes but as I said it depends on where you are coming from. If you are not coming from
densely populated area prior to moving to HK you may find it difficult to live in the
mid-levels.

--

>
    >
them
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > It depends on your budget. You will pay far more to live at Repulse Bay/Stanley[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > than you will for other places on the Island. It also[/usenetquote2]
depends
    >
[usenetquote2]> > how timid your wife/you are. The two areas you mentioned tend to be very expat[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > based areas which may be good if you are not keen on the move to[/usenetquote2]
HK.
[usenetquote2]> > I don't like mid-levels as it is incredibly dense living but if you are coming[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > from another major city you may well be used to it. Also I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > want to raise a young child in such a confined area. It would be very convenient[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for you though workwise.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Check out other areas such as Happy Valley, Jardines' Lookout, Shui Fai Terrace,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Stubbs Road for alternatives.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Amanda[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > I'm considering moving to HK. Assuming money is not such an issue,[/usenetquote2]
where
[usenetquote2]> > > is the best place to live? I'll be working in Central. I am married[/usenetquote2]
with
[usenetquote2]> > > a kid on the way. Have heard Repulse Bay and Stanley are very pleasant but am[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > worried it'll be a bit of a hike to work every day. Am very attracted to the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > mid-levels for this reason. Summing things up, where should we definitely not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > live and where should we strongly consider?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Many thanks, any info helpful.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > --[/usenetquote2]

Old Apr 28th 2001, 7:09 am
Francis Lee

>
    >
    >

Then Lantau Island might be a good idea.

Old May 6th 2001, 1:30 pm
Alan Davies

Wish I could find something that cheap in London ... !

al

>
    >
    >
    >