Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Thailand for one man and a stick...

Thailand for one man and a stick...

Old Aug 29th 2002, 2:47 pm
Gav
Just Joined

Gav is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thailand for one man and a stick...

The Plan is Thailand for 3 or 4 months alone starting in October....

The problem(s):
I have Multiple Scelrosis and don't get around to easy .... hence, the stick.

The medicine i take needs to be kept cold (between 2-8c) so what ever accomadation i get either needs a fridge or access to one.
Also the medicine uses needles. They a problem in Thailand?

I'm looking for a long holiday here, my days of trekking through jungles and drug binges are over (Sad but True) though i am partial to some herbal distraction, (purely medicinal of course).
What i need to know from you good people is a spot in Thailand where i can rent a place to crash (with fridge) be close to a beach or on it and not have to endure too much western nonsense....yeah i know the last bit's not easy.

Raylie beach has been recomended, anyone been there?

...By the way i'm 29, have travelled lots before i got sick, always one way (cheaper), never to Asia. I'm from Ireland and if you've ever been you'll know the weather is depressing enough to inspire escape......
Old Sep 1st 2002, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

fluoro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thailand for one man and a stick...

Originally posted by Gav:
The Plan is Thailand for 3 or 4 months alone starting in October....

The problem(s):
I have Multiple Scelrosis and don't get around to easy .... hence, the stick.

The medicine i take needs to be kept cold (between 2-8c) so what ever accomadation i get either needs a fridge or access to one.
Also the medicine uses needles. They a problem in Thailand?

I'm looking for a long holiday here, my days of trekking through jungles and drug binges are over (Sad but True) though i am partial to some herbal distraction, (purely medicinal of course).
What i need to know from you good people is a spot in Thailand where i can rent a place to crash (with fridge) be close to a beach or on it and not have to endure too much western nonsense....yeah i know the last bit's not easy.

Raylie beach has been recomended, anyone been there?

...By the way i'm 29, have travelled lots before i got sick, always one way (cheaper), never to Asia. I'm from Ireland and if you've ever been you'll know the weather is depressing enough to inspire escape......
Hi Gav greetings to a fellow Irishman! I posted this on rec.travel.asia a couple of days ago but it didn't seem to appear here on http://britishexpats.com.

Anyway, Rai Ley is great, absolutely beautiful but you won't really be able to get away from westerners as they are practically the only people there (other than the Thais working in the resorts etc.) It is kind of cut off, in that it is on the mainland, but you can only get there by boat (which by the way can be a bit tricky to get in and out of).

I think one problem you may find there is getting an affordable room (given that you are going for 3 or 4 months) that also has a fridge. Most of the more expensive or even mid range rooms have fridges, such as the Sand Sea.
However, these places could get quite costly over an extended period of time. There are plenty of cheaper bungalows from about £2.50 upwards but very basic. Here are a few links to some place that are more likely to have fridges.

http://www.sawadee.com/krabi/railaybay/
http://www.sawadee.com/krabi/railayvillage/
http://www.sawadee.com/krabi/sandsea/

Still Rai Ley is well worth a visit, although you may find is easier to get somewhere quiet on Koh Samui that has affordable bungalows on the beach with fridges.

As far as I recall needles can be purchased in any pharmacy but you will have to get confirmation from someone else on that, fortunately I've never had to use them myself.

Regarding the herbal distraction you will have no problem. drop me an email and I will even tell you where to get it on Rai Ley!

cheers!