Teaching in Korea

Old May 27th 2005, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

thomas elliott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Korea

I would like to just post this note to let any teachers out there who are thinking of going to Korea to be very, very carefull. I have had a recent experience with a recruiter there (who shall go unnamed) that has left me somewhat shaken and certainly out a few dollars.
I have taught in Korea before. I am really only posting this for those who think it is the same "old Korea' in terms of the Hogwon situation.
Things have gone south very quickly and i am not sure why.
The American State Department has issued a teacher advisory for Korea. I have never seen them do this for another country in terms of a profession specific warning.
The Hogwon owner smell big bucks and I am afraid many unsuspecting teachers are getting hurt badly, often in there first experience teaching overseas.
I have been extensively researching the situation and really am not sure why things are getting so bad so quickly.
So if your thinking of Korea, just a reminder again that it is treacherous in the teacher market.
emyell.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:54 am
Just Joined

ChargirlinKorea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Korea

This thread was started over a year ago, but as I've recently moved to Korea to teach I thought that an update on the situation might be useful to anyone considering moving here to teach. The comment was directed at teachers of hagwons, and even though the situation has improved they still have a bad reputation for not paying teachers, exploiting them and generally being in it for the money. I came out with a Government-run scheme called EPIK, where I teach in regular schools rather than the after school hagwons, and for people considering teaching in Korea I'd highly recommend it.
I get my flights and accommodation paid for, (think this is normal for most teaching jobs in Korea) but more than this, I had a two-week Orientation on arrival where I was taught about various cultural, laguage and ESL teacher topics, providing me with the perfect opportunity to meet others from all over the english-speaking world who were in the same situation.
Working in schools, my colleagues and bosses are in their profession not for the money but for their love of education and desire to teach, and due to the high regard with which education is held, especially profiency in english-speaking, I have been embraced by the local community even though I am the only Westerner amongst them.
A real Korean adventure!
I know several hagwon teachers and they are having an adventure too, but I have yet to meet any whose job satisfaction, benefits and general support are anywhere near that of myself and my fellow EPIKers. If anyone has any experience of either hagwon teaching or the EPIK scheme though, I would be really interested to hear some other opinions!

Originally Posted by thomas elliott
I would like to just post this note to let any teachers out there who are thinking of going to Korea to be very, very carefull. I have had a recent experience with a recruiter there (who shall go unnamed) that has left me somewhat shaken and certainly out a few dollars.
I have taught in Korea before. I am really only posting this for those who think it is the same "old Korea' in terms of the Hogwon situation.
Things have gone south very quickly and i am not sure why.
The American State Department has issued a teacher advisory for Korea. I have never seen them do this for another country in terms of a profession specific warning.
The Hogwon owner smell big bucks and I am afraid many unsuspecting teachers are getting hurt badly, often in there first experience teaching overseas.
I have been extensively researching the situation and really am not sure why things are getting so bad so quickly.
So if your thinking of Korea, just a reminder again that it is treacherous in the teacher market.
emyell.