Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Stranded in HK and need advice!

Stranded in HK and need advice!

Old May 26th 2008, 10:52 am
Just Joined

anna99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stranded in HK and need advice!

Hello, I am in most desperate need of help! I moved here from London just over a month ago to join an offshore wealth management company, i signed a contract for one year and was told probation period would be 3 months. They did not provide me with a work visa but told me I would be here on a "succumbent basis" arranged via Europe. The salary was commission only and I had to invest my own money to move. They now cut my contract short and I am in need of a new job as don't want to leave HK.

I'm a Psychology graduate with work experience in mortgage underwriting/brokering, retail banking and sales. Looking for anything to keep me here!

please please please help!

Many thanks
Old May 27th 2008, 1:35 am
Just Joined

lazareth1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stranded in HK and need advice!

I'm afraid you might be in a spot of trouble! In order to work in HK you at least need a work permit and you can only get one if you have a company in HK who will sponsor you for this.

I would get out there and find a a job fast (shouldn't be to hard with your exp and the amount of jobs available in HK) and get them to sponsor you!
Old May 30th 2008, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Roger13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stranded in HK and need advice!

Originally Posted by lazareth1
I'm afraid you might be in a spot of trouble! In order to work in HK you at least need a work permit and you can only get one if you have a company in HK who will sponsor you for this.

I would get out there and find a a job fast (shouldn't be to hard with your exp and the amount of jobs available in HK) and get them to sponsor you!
Look in the Classified sections of the English Newspapers.
Visit Expat Bars / Clubs that might have Notice Boards
Do Google Searches