Phuket or Koh Samui

Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:41 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phuket or Koh Samui

Hi folks,

I have wandered over from ME looking for a little advice. I am looking to book my honeymoon for March next year and have narrowed the either of the two above and just wondered if any-one here had experience of the two and could let me have their thoughts? Good or bad

Thanks in advance for any help...
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:49 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Phuket or Koh Samui

Originally Posted by Welivehere
Hi folks,

I have wandered over from ME looking for a little advice. I am looking to book my honeymoon for March next year and have narrowed the either of the two above and just wondered if any-one here had experience of the two and could let me have their thoughts? Good or bad

Thanks in advance for any help...
Flights are one issue. You can fly direct to Phuket but have to go via Bangkok or Singapore to get to Koh Samui, which has a delightful little airport.

In both places there are now plenty of idylls but also plenty of spoilt bits full of girly bars and slummy people. Choose carefully where you stay and that needn't bother you.

Ie don't stay in Pattaya, stay somewhere like Karon Beach.

For a honeymoon have you thought about Koh Tao? An extra day's travelling but a bit more special and relatively unspoilt though there are even some gogo girls there as well, now.

Koh Samui twenty years ago was far better and would have been an easy recommendation but now there isn't much difference between KS and Phuket.

Better seafood in Phuket.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:24 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Don
Flights are one issue. You can fly direct to Phuket but have to go via Bangkok or Singapore to get to Koh Samui, which has a delightful little airport.

In both places there are now plenty of idylls but also plenty of spoilt bits full of girly bars and slummy people. Choose carefully where you stay and that needn't bother you.

Ie don't stay in Pattaya, stay somewhere like Karon Beach.

For a honeymoon have you thought about Koh Tao? An extra day's travelling but a bit more special and relatively unspoilt though there are even some gogo girls there as well, now.

Koh Samui twenty years ago was far better and would have been an easy recommendation but now there isn't much difference between KS and Phuket.

Better seafood in Phuket.
Koh Samui in 1992 was getting commercial but still pleasant, went back in 1997 - mini version of Bangkok - even had a proper BP service station. Paradise has moved away slightly.

Koh Tao is a good option.

M

Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:10 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Don / Merlot

Thanks for the responses and for the advice, I will look into Koh Tao. All we are looking for is somewhere with reasonable accommodation, nice beaches, some decent diving and definitely not full of bars and clubs....

Thanks again for your thoughts...
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:45 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Don / Merlot

Thanks for the responses and for the advice, I will look into Koh Tao. All we are looking for is somewhere with reasonable accommodation, nice beaches, some decent diving and definitely not full of bars and clubs....

Samui now has Boots, Macdonalds ect.

We honeymooned in a beach hut in Koh Pan gnan and went to the full moon party
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:54 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser

We honeymooned in a beach hut in Koh Pan gnan and went to the full moon party
One option, I wouldn't do it myself as I don't do drugs and being surrounded by spaced out hippies and gappies was a crap experience when I went to the full moon party myself.

The island is still very unspoilt though - apart from Hat Rin. Stayed there for three weeks once and it was almost a desert island experience.

Koh Tao is best for diving if you had to choose between all four islands.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

Don / Merlot

Koh Taos the place for this then , check out searches for accommodation & diving places on the island. Check out Sairee Beach where most of the diving schools are . Couldnt think of a better place to learn & chill out for a couple of weeks. Place gets quiet after 11/12 but there are small beach parties in the bars which carry on & are informal. Dont go Oct/Nov time though as its rainy season & really hammers the island, to the extend where some loose electricity & boats cannot come onto it.

Koh Samui has become like a seedy spain in places which is unfortunate as some of the island & people is great.

Phuket I wouldnt recommend I had a horrible week there with hawkers , full of go go bars & horrible tourists. That was Paton beach.

What about The islands off the east coast of Malaysia - cant remember the name, they where supposed to be great.

Any other info just PM me & Ill hunt out my info on the island & forward some contacts if required.

cheers
Marty
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:41 pm
Merlot

Is this called progress?

So sad to hear.

M

Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:48 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Is this called progress?

So sad to hear.

M
That was five years ago the last time I was there, I'd been there the previous 3 years and every time it had changed drastically, so I hate to think what it's like now
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:44 pm
Merlot

That was five years ago the last time I was there, I'd been there the previous 3 years and every time it had changed drastically, so I hate to think what it's like now
Sounds like hell

Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:50 pm

Sounds like hell
There were girls all dolled up wearing white stilleto's.

I was wearing tie dye
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:56 pm
Merlot

There were girls all dolled up wearing white stilleto's.

I was wearing tie dye
Sounds like Benidorm, heaven forbid :scared:

Was your tie dye "Hammer" coloured?

M

Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:01 pm

Sounds like Benidorm, heaven forbid :scared:

Was your tie dye "Hammer" coloured?

M
Nah can't remember what ever I picked up on Koh Pha gnan. I left England with nothing on our honeymoon after leaving our wedding reception and going straight to the airport. First stop was Saigon Rachel had to go out and get me a T-shirt as I had nothing to change into
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:16 am

Hi people,

Sorry haven't been around for a while, so apologies for the delay in responding and thanks for the additional info.....

Dmartyos,

Thanks for the recommendations, I have been diving in Malaysia and spend time in Sabah, Sarawak and Sapidan, whilst I would love to go there for the honeymoon I can't see the boss (she doesn't dive) having it.... Shame though.

Koh Taos is sounding more and more like the right place for us. I would like to move from Open Water to Advanced so good diving definitely appeals. As long as there are beaches and a few places away from our hotel / resort that we can go out on an evening we should be fine.

One last question if some-one has the time. Is it practical to look at hopping to other islands (for instance Koh Samui) for a day / overnight trip or are we better of just staying put?

Again thanks for all of the input so far, it is appreciated....
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:45 am

Hi people,

Sorry haven't been around for a while, so apologies for the delay in responding and thanks for the additional info.....

Dmartyos,

Thanks for the recommendations, I have been diving in Malaysia and spend time in Sabah, Sarawak and Sapidan, whilst I would love to go there for the honeymoon I can't see the boss (she doesn't dive) having it.... Shame though.

Koh Taos is sounding more and more like the right place for us. I would like to move from Open Water to Advanced so good diving definitely appeals. As long as there are beaches and a few places away from our hotel / resort that we can go out on an evening we should be fine.

One last question if some-one has the time. Is it practical to look at hopping to other islands (for instance Koh Samui) for a day / overnight trip or are we better of just staying put?

Again thanks for all of the input so far, it is appreciated....

Samui to phan gnan about an hour Kao toa to phan gnan about 2 hours but quicker if you hire a long tail or speed boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.