Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Perth, Singapore or K L?????????????

Perth, Singapore or K L?????????????

Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

knoxy is on a distinguished road
Default Perth, Singapore or K L?????????????

Hi,
We are family of 5 with an opportunity to transfer on a expat basis to any of the above for 2 years.....We have 3 boys 2, 9 and 10 oh will be working and I will be looking after the kids

Any ideas on the best location for us.

We have been given an housing allowance of 5750 in Singapore dollars and 6500 malaysian ??. We dont want to live in an apartment but would be ok about living in cluster housing in nice areas with pool, is that enough?????

Any advice would be great.........thanks
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Jollytinker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth, Singapore or K L?????????????

I live in Singapore and have lived in Australia and Hong Kong. Also travel regularly to KL. Here's my thoughts.

That rent allowance for a family of 5 will be tight for Singapore and if the KL allce is in Rm that's tight too. We have massive rent inflation here so if you do opt for KL or Sing I would build a review clause into contract.

This part of the world can be tough on 'trailing spouses' especially if husband travel alot. If he's not lived and worked in Asia before they can get a little carried away by the ladies of the east who are slim, attractive and available.

My advice (and I'm a guy) is pick Australia and keep the family toghether.

Good luck
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

knoxy is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jollytinker..........

Our gut reaction is Perth, but didnt want to discount the others without looking into them, had a look on housing websites and I also thought the budget wasnt big enough, but its good to get confirmation from someone in the know

knoxy
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Jollytinker is an unknown quantity at this point

For more info on Singapore and perhaps a second or third female opinion visit
http://singapore.angloinfo.com/ there are plenty of ladies with "a view" on there but worth a look and you can get more detail on rents.