Peanut Allergy

Old Nov 27th 2004, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

mr_hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Peanut Allergy

Hello there,

This is a fairly urgent request. I have decided to continue my solo cycle tour in Thailand after getting a very cheap flight. However, I have a peanut allergy. I have been looking on the net for a card which I can show the restaurant but I have not been sucessful. There was a thread on this subject (search for peanut and allergy on this site) but the gif is only for someone with a child. I was wondering if anyone could do one for just me?

I leave on the 6th December and I am a little worried about eating over there, especially as I have an enormous appetite due to my cycling!

I would be very greatful if you could reply as soon as possible.

Kindest regards,

Neill
Old Nov 27th 2004, 4:00 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peanut Allergy

In Thai you can tell them . Gin midai pro pae thoi. It literally means i cant eat peanuts. To say it so it sounds right. Its not the sound of Jin its the sound of G GIN. Mee die praw pe(like pet without the T) toe a. Hope this helps. the word for peanut is thoi( toe a) If you need any other help just ask. Just spoke to my gf and she says that you can also say. My Chop thoi. I dont like peanuts. If they ask you Ta mai a?( Why?) You can say Mai chop.(I dont like) Hope you have a great time in LOS( Land Of Smiles)
Old Nov 27th 2004, 4:09 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Hunter i have just had another thought. Check out this website. thaivisa.com There is a Thai language forum where someone with a better understanding off Thai. If you ask them then they will probably be able to write it out in Thai script for you and you can then print it off and show it where you go. Its a free website and will give you any info that you need for Thailand
Old Nov 27th 2004, 4:31 pm
Freedom!

Mr Hunter. I've just put a post on thaivisa.com for you. So you can check it out for answers or i'll post it here when someone answers. I do suggest you register and then you have access to so much info on Thiland.
Old Nov 28th 2004, 4:13 am
Freedom!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21492

Check out the above link.

I'm a country member - ah yes, I remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,169

Try:-

ผมทานถั่วไม่ได้เพราะผมเเพ้ถั่ว - pom tahn too-a mai dai proh pom pair too-a

or ฉันแพ้ถั่วลิสง "chan pae to-a le-song

Sounds like a risky proposition to me, lots of foods contain peanuts in vaying amounts and I am aware minute amounts can kill.
If a kitchen implement say a mortar and pestle had previously been used for satay sauce, som tam or the like you then have a big problem.
Most of you guys know how easily Thais can dismiss or make light of situations like this.
Make sure that he carries his lifesaving syringe (sorry I forgot the technical term for it) with him and somone who can administer it if necessary.

Hope this helps you mate. But as i sais before do check out the website.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Nice one! Cheers for all the help! I will look at the site in a after this.

I am feeling a lot better about my trip over there! If someone is reading this with the same problem as me then u can also search for peanuts in the forum section of http://www.thailandguidebook.com.

Thanks again for all your help... the net saves the day again!

Neill

Originally Posted by Jockstar
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21492

Check out the above link.

I'm a country member - ah yes, I remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,169

Try:-

ผมทานถั่วไม่ได้เพราะผมเเพ้ถั่ว - pom tahn too-a mai dai proh pom pair too-a

or ฉันแพ้ถั่วลิสง "chan pae to-a le-song

Sounds like a risky proposition to me, lots of foods contain peanuts in vaying amounts and I am aware minute amounts can kill.
If a kitchen implement say a mortar and pestle had previously been used for satay sauce, som tam or the like you then have a big problem.
Most of you guys know how easily Thais can dismiss or make light of situations like this.
Make sure that he carries his lifesaving syringe (sorry I forgot the technical term for it) with him and somone who can administer it if necessary.

Hope this helps you mate. But as i sais before do check out the website.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:31 am
JimT

Hi Neill,

I hope your cycle tour is/was really good. I have a love of cycling myself - albeit in terms of cycling in triathlons! But the idea of touring another country on a bike sounds very appealing!! I recently read a book by Tim Moore on cycling the Tour de France route and I'm getting itchy feet.

Anyway, I have a friend who also has an peanut allergy and she is going to Thailand in March. I was wondering if there was any advice you could offer from your own experiences. I hope you got on okay and didn't have any bad reactions.

She is worried about avoiding food cooked with peanuts/peanut oil, what other types of food are available for her to eat, where to eat...that sort of thing. So any help you might be able to offer would be very gratefully received.

Thanks
jim

Old Jan 9th 2005, 7:12 am
Just Joined

the bugger timed out on me.... here I go again....

Not go tmuch time...

Small restraunts are better as u can see kitchen, faces, problems....
Print picture in message above off with red border round it and include it in english also.
Print a picture of a peanut with a red cirlce and line through it
I also made a picture of a oilcan with a peanut on it with lred line and circle
Laminate the card
Shoiw card before ordering
Don't smile when u order
Act out a death sequence if they don't see seriousness
Watch them when they read it.
If u are concerned that they don't understand go somewhere else or order boiled rice or veggie fried rice.

Don't stress... the peanut card works.... I should have posted it up... but u can eaisily make one in powerpoint....

Don't eat the brown sweet rice bars.... peanut oil....
Carry your medi kit (epi pen and antihistmine) with u
know where hospital is
have enough cash for a taxi 2 hospital
take peanut card with you everywhere even if u don't think u will eat!

Learn how to \say no p[eanut in thai....

Use yer common sence....

Don't eat the salads at the side of the road as they use a ppestle and morter with loads of peanuts...

Sorry for the rush....

Get on yer bike and cycle.... my first time for a trip and it works.... u see loads more and a lot less stressful than public transport....

Laters,

Hunter

Originally Posted by JimT
Hi Neill,

I hope your cycle tour is/was really good. I have a love of cycling myself - albeit in terms of cycling in triathlons! But the idea of touring another country on a bike sounds very appealing!! I recently read a book by Tim Moore on cycling the Tour de France route and I'm getting itchy feet.

Anyway, I have a friend who also has an peanut allergy and she is going to Thailand in March. I was wondering if there was any advice you could offer from your own experiences. I hope you got on okay and didn't have any bad reactions.

She is worried about avoiding food cooked with peanuts/peanut oil, what other types of food are available for her to eat, where to eat...that sort of thing. So any help you might be able to offer would be very gratefully received.

Thanks
jim