Living in Cambodia

Old Sep 24th 2004, 7:59 am
Just Joined

dtweber has a brilliant futuredtweber has a brilliant futuredtweber has a brilliant futuredtweber has a brilliant futuredtweber has a brilliant futuredtweber has a brilliant future
Question Living in Cambodia

Anyone has experience in living and working in Cambodia, especially Siem Reap? Is there a school for expat children? Social life? Security situation?
Thank you for your endevaours.

Thomas
Old Sep 25th 2004, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Cambodia

Originally Posted by dtweber
Anyone has experience in living and working in Cambodia, especially Siem Reap? Is there a school for expat children? Social life? Security situation?
Thank you for your endevaours.

Thomas
If you do a google there is quite a bit of information around on the net and other boards.

Best of luck
Old Oct 4th 2004, 3:29 pm
On my way!

CCFCM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,
Siem Reap is a very small place, only a few decent bars there (which are very good indeed) mostly full of very cool, youngish travellers. The Angkor Watt Bar & The Laundry are the best places to go. It is very cheap there, very safe & also a tad sleazy unfort due to the old sad expats who go there looking for girls. It is bit of a dump, however, there is a great atmosphere there & it is on the doorstep of the temples! I loved it there!
Old Oct 4th 2004, 9:19 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CCFCM
Hiya,
Siem Reap is a very small place, only a few decent bars there (which are very good indeed) mostly full of very cool, youngish travellers. The Angkor Watt Bar & The Laundry are the best places to go. It is very cheap there, very safe & also a tad sleazy unfort due to the old sad expats who go there looking for girls. It is bit of a dump, however, there is a great atmosphere there & it is on the doorstep of the temples! I loved it there!
Just been myself, I loved it. Siem Reap was a great place, great bars. Don't miss out on the Happy Pizza Place downtown. Any tuk tuk driver can take you there. And don't forget to ask for tour pizza 'happy'.

Didn't see in sad expats and din't think it was a dump. But then I came in via Bangkok, now that's a dump.

The temples were amazing not just Angkor Wat but Tom Phren (sp?) and other's like it. Had a fabulous time, but don't forget the malaria tablets!
Old Oct 5th 2004, 12:23 pm
On my way!

Happy Pizza! Saw so many idiots loosing their heads after that hahahaha
How can you say its not a dump CB? I came from Thailand also! There are no roads really & the streets stink. I loved it there though as well - was only meant to spend 2 days there doing the temples, but spent a week there before going down to Shinkoville (south Cambodian beaches & Islands). There is a very big problem in ALL of Cambodia with paedophilia - I actually slapped a few dirty old American men myself who I saw with v young girls - totally out of order & they need shooting to be honest!
I was also in Vietnam after Cambodia & that place is HEAVEN - i strongly recomment EVERY1 to go there - great place, great TOUGH people, great weather, not commercial at all & cheap! Perfect
Old Oct 5th 2004, 4:51 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CCFCM
Happy Pizza! Saw so many idiots loosing their heads after that hahahaha
How can you say its not a dump CB? I came from Thailand also! There are no roads really & the streets stink. I loved it there though as well - was only meant to spend 2 days there doing the temples, but spent a week there before going down to Shinkoville (south Cambodian beaches & Islands). There is a very big problem in ALL of Cambodia with paedophilia - I actually slapped a few dirty old American men myself who I saw with v young girls - totally out of order & they need shooting to be honest!
I was also in Vietnam after Cambodia & that place is HEAVEN - i strongly recomment EVERY1 to go there - great place, great TOUGH people, great weather, not commercial at all & cheap! Perfect
Was at Happy Pizza sitting in front outisde. Saw two backpacker types looking in deciding whether to eat in there. As they came in I leaned over and said 'make sure you ask for your pizza happy'. They got it straight away! They gave me an attaboy on the way out.

As for being a dump. No, not at all. It's a developing country yes. But, what I saw was just a different lifestyle not a dump. I've visited developing countries since I was 3 years old so maybe my perspective is different.

Now, Bangkok! Yes a dirty filthy stinking dump. More canals than Venice and every one of them a rotting stagnant pool of open sewage. The smell, the pollution and babies lying on the street in that filth with their faces flat down on the pavement begging with a plastic cup. I found it too much to bear.

I would love to go back to Cambodia and explore the Phillipines, malaysia and such. Did you visit Thom Phren temple??
Old Oct 5th 2004, 5:44 pm
On my way!

Yea - amazing temple! Got the 3 day pass - hungover most of the time, glad i had a driver with a cd player & serious air-con!
Wouldnt go back to Cambodia, but would live in Nam anyday! Saying that, I did get the best 2 1/2 foot massage of my life in Siem Reap - AMAZING!