Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Legal advice in Thailand

Legal advice in Thailand

Old Jun 18th 2004, 8:40 am
Just Joined

DesmondPhuket is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Legal advice in Thailand

People who travel to or do business Thailand often find themselves in need of advice to either settle here or to help them if they get involved in a dispute with an individual or with forming or running a business after it has been set up.

Choosing a lawyer can be tough:

Should I use a local lawyer or a foreign lawyer?

Local lawyers will (or should) of course have extensive knowledge of the law in the region. This does not mean that quality of service will necessarily be as you anticipated. Will your advice be given in comprehensible English? Will your questions be met with full and frank answers? Will your timeframe be respected and adhered to in a commercial style? Will you be comfortable disclosing sensitive confidential information?

Foreign Lawers/International Law Firms

There are a large number of foreign and international firms but many clients have some concerns about the price of services. Where does the money go? The answer is simple. A good firm will provide a mix of locally trained lawyers and international/foreign lawyers who together can provide an exemplarary efficient and quality service. Quotes should be as accurate as possible, transparent and delivered at the beginning of a transaction or legal problem. Communications should be delivered in perfect plain and simple English. Advice should be given with explanations and assistance. Lawyers in an international firm should always be contactable in and out of the office and out of hours to cater for international clients.

How do I find the names and addresses of lawyers? How can I compare them?

Legal directories are a good start. After obtaining a list of law firms in the country you are interested in, check their summaries to make sure they will cover the work you want them to do. Then zoom in on their websites to look at their style. Do you think you could do business with the lawyers you wish to instruct? Will you feel confident and comfortable discussing confidential business or personal issues? Try calling the firm and seeing what response you get from a simple enquiry.

Recommendations. These will be plastered across websites but most people will not view these as neutral recommendations. Rather, check with individuals living in the region their experiences with law firms. Sometimes law firms who have operated for a long time in a region are jaded or close-minded about your requirements. Check the history of the firm and the personalities in the firm if you want to investigate in that much detail.

As a partner in a law firm I have trained and considered at length the factors that make up a good quality law firm. The above should provide a small reflection of the thoughts that run through your mind before spending your money on negating your way through the laws of a different country to your home country.

Last edited by DesmondPhuket; Jun 29th 2004 at 9:12 am.