Reload this Page >

Ideas for Malaysia in August!

Ideas for Malaysia in August!

Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Pree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ideas for Malaysia in August!

Hi,
I have set my heart on a trip to Malaysia this month and would appreciate some ideas on how to plan my trip.
I haven't travelled much at all in SE Asia (Singapore and Tokyo were great but prob don't really count, right?!) - the region fascinates me and I'd like to spend QUALITY time exploring each place in a largely independent but safe manner.
I have been trawling the internet for ideas on things to see and do, places to stay/eat/go out, and ways of travelling around East and West Malaysia. Ideally, I'd like to head over to East Malaysia for Mount KK and wildlife watching, boat trip to islands with snorkelling, few days at a beach (not dirty or too crowded) and some time on the West coast too. To be honest, I don't really know how best to split my time or if I am trying to do too much.
I'm hoping to spend 3 weeks there and would like to leave within the next 1 week!
Please help!!

Thanx,
Pree
Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:48 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ideas for Malaysia in August!

Originally Posted by Pree
Hi,
I have set my heart on a trip to Malaysia this month and would appreciate some ideas on how to plan my trip.
I haven't travelled much at all in SE Asia (Singapore and Tokyo were great but prob don't really count, right?!) - the region fascinates me and I'd like to spend QUALITY time exploring each place in a largely independent but safe manner.
I have been trawling the internet for ideas on things to see and do, places to stay/eat/go out, and ways of travelling around East and West Malaysia. Ideally, I'd like to head over to East Malaysia for Mount KK and wildlife watching, boat trip to islands with snorkelling, few days at a beach (not dirty or too crowded) and some time on the West coast too. To be honest, I don't really know how best to split my time or if I am trying to do too much.
I'm hoping to spend 3 weeks there and would like to leave within the next 1 week!
Please help!!

Thanx,
Pree
hi there, you do realise its monsoon season at the moment, so time outside could be a bit wet! anyway, if you've never experienced rain in monsoon season, it'll be interesting to say the least... highly humid, hot and wet, not overly pleasant!

anyway, notwithstanding the weather factor... leave KL as quick as you can if you want to travel around malaysia in 3weeks... sure things to do, but better things else where. For a bit of snorkelling and a beach holiday thrown in, try (and i think this is the spelling) Pilau Redang in the Kuala Terengganu region, northish malaysia, east coast. we went a couple of years ago, and was great... however, they were beginning to build the universally found large hotel complexes so beware if they are there. Otherwise, if you've got money to spend, try Pangkor Laut (West Malaysia), a great place... emerald beach is as described! beautiful... however, the island is privately owned so need to stay on the isalnd to go there... we went a long time ago when it was cheap, now don't know how dear it is!

for sabah and sarawak, expereince a real jungle feel... i had relatives working in the plantations over there, so not sure how to go about booking something like that.

anyway good luck, PM me if you want more specifics... just a word of advice, try everything, experiences food the lot... sure you may get a dodgy tummy, but will be worth it! the curries are great, seafood fantastic! sure you'll love it... go where alot of locals go, the food will be good! everyplace had a speciality, like chicken rice balls in malacca, laksa noodles in penang... it goes on and on...
Old Aug 11th 2004, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Pree is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Ideas for Malaysia in August!

Hi! Thanks for the advice
Yeah, wasn't too sure of the weather but have done some research and it should be manageable (I have experienced the monsoons in North India and it doesn't sound like I'll be hitting that type of thing at least!).

I've read a few of the other threads on travel in Malaysia which were really helpful - looks like I'll be able to book the Sabah tours when I get to KK.
I'm not too sure about West Malaysia though - I was hoping to visit the Taman Negara National Park, Cameron Highlands and perhaps Malacca - any tips on how to go about arranging this?

Also I wanted to do a beach type thing for a few days (3 or 4 at most!) toward the end of the trip - any suggestions? Not too keen on busy, noisy tourist beach resorts so not too sure about Penang or Langkawi.......any suggestions?

Thanx!
Pree
Old Aug 12th 2004, 9:40 am
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pree
Hi! Thanks for the advice
Yeah, wasn't too sure of the weather but have done some research and it should be manageable (I have experienced the monsoons in North India and it doesn't sound like I'll be hitting that type of thing at least!).

I've read a few of the other threads on travel in Malaysia which were really helpful - looks like I'll be able to book the Sabah tours when I get to KK.
I'm not too sure about West Malaysia though - I was hoping to visit the Taman Negara National Park, Cameron Highlands and perhaps Malacca - any tips on how to go about arranging this?

Also I wanted to do a beach type thing for a few days (3 or 4 at most!) toward the end of the trip - any suggestions? Not too keen on busy, noisy tourist beach resorts so not too sure about Penang or Langkawi.......any suggestions?

Thanx!
Pree
hi again, the national park, cameron highlands and malacca are all great places to see... remember to take a light jacket when going to the highlands 'cos its much cooler up there... i would also go and penang if you have the chance and see the buddha... we had relatives and freinds there and so went to these places on our own, no tour i'm afriad... but if i were you, i would book over in malaysia, will be much cheaper and yuo can custom them to an extent. Penang not overly a beach holiday, langkawi definietly is, and i would avoid it too as its overly touristic, beach holiday to consider maybe pangkor but again maybe touristy now... i like the islands in Terengganu region... you can fly to the mainland and grab a short speedboat ride to the islands... they are great fun! ok snorkling to do, though the reef is dead (the coral, but still teeming with fish)...

not sure what else to say, any other questions just post them and i'll try to help
Old Aug 15th 2004, 4:26 am
Just Joined

honey123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello Pree,

I would like to recommend U some interesting places :

1)Sipadan Island ( in Sabah )
-to watch turtle lay eggs (now is the season)
-diving
-snorkelling

2)Sepilok (the' Orang Utan')-Sandakan,Sabah

3)Cameron Highland (Pahang)www.cameronhighland.com
-The biggest Boh Tea Plantation (Sg Palas)
-Robinson Waterfall
-Lata Iskandar Waterfall
-jungle traking

4)Pangkor Island
5)Redang Island
6)Taman Negara national Park (Pahang)
7)Malacca for historical places
-A Famosa
-To try to ride tricycle (locally known as 'beca')

8)Fraser Hill (the place is quiet,relax, No...pollution at all)
-Jungle traking

9)Sarawak
-can visit the "Long House"
-some historical places

10)Of course the city of KUALA LUMPUR
-The tallest building in the world-KLCC TWIN TOWER PETRONAS
-KL tower to view the whole of Kuala Lumpur

11)Cherating Beach(Pahang)-I really enjoy this
-Club Med
-local chalet available
That's all I can recall right now.I hope it's useful

Enjoy your stay.
P/s:Regarding the season,it's not raining everyday but it's haze.

Last edited by honey123; Aug 15th 2004 at 1:58 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:10 am
Just Joined

SteveK is an unknown quantity at this point

August is typically a bad month to visit Malaysia. The reason for this is htat it's generally right at the end of the dry season, which typically runs from May through to early September and coincides with the SE Monsoon. As a result of this there is always the risk of "the haze", which is low-level atmospheric pollution mostly caused by wild fires in Sumatra. We've been flirting with this all month, although we've been lucky and some unseasonal rains have kept it at bay apart from for three or four days at the start of the month.

Come September we'll be back in the wet season cycle, which means that it will rain most days in the mid to late afternoon for about an hour. When I say rain I should really say RAIN. If you haven't experienced tropical downpours then you're in for an experience. It's the sort of rain that has you drenched to the skin within ten seconds. Using an umbrella means that you're merely damp from the head to mid chest, and as wet as if you hadn't bothered everywhere else. Best experienced from the inside of a food court with a cold Carlesberg in hand

Cheers - Steve