Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Doing a runner from Vietnam

Doing a runner from Vietnam

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Bob Terry has a brilliant futureBob Terry has a brilliant futureBob Terry has a brilliant futureBob Terry has a brilliant futureBob Terry has a brilliant futureBob Terry has a brilliant future
Default Doing a runner from Vietnam

Hi, everyone

I'm seriously considering legging it after pay day this week.

Unfortunately, I agreed to pay five months rent (plus deposit). I've thus far paid most of it but just have about $500 remaining. I also owe for electricity and water. I'm not overly keen on paying up, so my question is....is it possible (is there even an outside chance) that I can be prevented from leaving by border police? Should I just be honest and pay up and then leg it?

Thanks.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doing a runner from Vietnam

So are you asking us to condone stealing?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:56 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

What works out cheaper ?

I don't think there will be any police at the border. How will they know you are gone ?

If you don't really care about these people then you know what to do.

For the record what you are talking about is immoral and maybe the next foreigner to stay in that place will get a bad deal.

Up to you.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Bob Terry has a brilliant futureBob Terry has a brilliant futureBob Terry has a brilliant futureBob Terry has a brilliant futureBob Terry has a brilliant futureBob Terry has a brilliant future

I've actually decided not to leg it.

It's been a very rough first month in the Nam. Let me put it this way: my previous job was in Saudi Arabia. I never thought I'd live to see the day when I pined for the sophistication of Saudi! But Vietnam has achieved it.

The main problem is not getting much sleep, and I'm just not sure how my sanity is going to cope with getting no sleep for the next 11 months. I just can't settle, but the worst thing about legging it would be leaving my employer and colleagues in the lurch; to be honest, I couldn't care less about not paying my bills. Self-preservation - namely, the thought of running foul of the cops - is the only thing that would deter me from doing a runner with unpaid bills. Couldn't give a toss otherwise.

Last edited by Bob Terry; Aug 24th 2011 at 6:10 am.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:36 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, cheer up Bob. I think all new places take a little getting used to, don't they. Why can't you sleep? Is it noisy there?

Must be some other expats there you can chew the fat with maybe.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:17 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Can't be that bad. A few people I work with are going there on holiday in October. Beaches are supposed to be nice too. Where are you ? What you doing ?
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:19 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Horses for courses though isn't it? I did a 5 day trip to Ho Chi Minh a few years back and really hated it there. Just didn't take to it at all... and yet so many folks I know love it there. Maybe we went to the wrong bit.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Where are you ? What you doing ?
Hanoi.

I work at an Australian international school.

Why can't you sleep? Is it noisy there?
It's extremely noisy, but thankfully, in the past few days, it's improved beyond all measure, because the water pump (which previously made a noise akin to someone hammering) seems to have been fixed. That was the main problem, because it's right next to my bedroom and, anytime someone in another apartment flushed the toilet or ran water from a tap, it woke me up. I tried unsuccessfully to sleep in the living room on the couch, but there's a dog outside somewhere that barks 24 hours a day. It was all but impossible to sleep.

Please pray, on my behalf, to any deity you see fit that the water pump shall remain quiet for the next 11 months. Now that the pump has been fixed, I can sleep without problem and enjoy the silence.

But really, Hanoi is extraordinarily noisy in general. The streets are unstoppable, inescapable rivers of motorbikes. I lived in Seoul for three years (2005-8) and thought that was noisy, but I'm not sure anything could compare to Hanoi. But now that I can sleep, I won't complain.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Bob Terry

Please pray, on my behalf, to any deity you see fit that the water pump shall remain quiet for the next 11 months. Now that the pump has been fixed, I can sleep without problem and enjoy the silence.

I have said a little prayer to the God of Waterpumps
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:51 am

Sounds like you're just learning to adjust. There are many thing about living in Thailand / Bangkok that used to get to me that I don't even think about now because it is THE WAY THINGS ARE. Some people can never get to that point though and spend a lot of their time complaining about things or the way things work.

Thinking of taking wife and kids to 'Nam for a holiday next year. Ho Chi Min and then beach. Can you recommend anywhere ? Not Na Trang or Da Nang as they are too busy.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nonthaburi

Thinking of taking wife and kids to 'Nam for a holiday next year. Ho Chi Min and then beach. Can you recommend anywhere ? Not Na Trang or Da Nang as they are too busy.
Not really, sorry. I've only been here since July and have only seen Hanoi.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
There are many thing about living in Thailand / Bangkok that used to get to me that I don't even think about now because it is THE WAY THINGS ARE. Some people can never get to that point though and spend a lot of their time complaining about things or the way things work.
Ya... then they quit and go to Malaysia
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Bob Terry
Not really, sorry. I've only been here since July and have only seen Hanoi.
Sounds like you need to get out a bit more. One of the reasons we are in another country is to see a bit of that country. Have you got a car or motorbike ? Are you stuck ?

Since July. That's only a couple of months. Give it a chance. What's the nightlife like ?