Christmas Holiday

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

ILoveMexico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christmas Holiday

Hi,

I am looking to book a three week holiday, I would like to visit, Thailand, Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, if all possible. Am i missing anything out, do i have enough time.

Anything else I should see, any tips, places to stay, always wanted to visit, live in Mexico now, but would live a trip of a lifetime.

Thanks
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Holiday

You are trying to see too much in too short a time IMO.
Taking out the day you travel then less than three days in each location.
Also taking into account jet lag although that won't be too bad a s you are travelling east to west you might find that you've wasted your holiday of a life time.

I would recommend Hong Kong, Thailand, Penang (Malaysia) and Singapore.
Even here you might cut out Penang, therefore giving you about a week in each location. A week in Singapore is probably too much and a week in HK too little.

China is just not worth it at the moment.

Japan, well I suppose you mean Tokyo and I wouldn't bother with that either.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:08 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree. 3 weeks is just not enough. What happens if you make all these plans to see all these countries and you fall in the love with the fisrt one? Do yourself a favour. Go to Thailand for 3 weeks and travel around. If thats not what you want to do. Do 1 and half weeks in Thailand , 3 days in Singers , 2-3 days in Penang, the rest i cant comment on as never been there. But either change plans or take a longer holiday. Good luck.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
Taking out the day you travel then less than three days in each location.
Also taking into account jet lag although that won't be too bad a s you are travelling east to west you might find that you've wasted your holiday of a life time.

I would recommend Hong Kong, Thailand, Penang (Malaysia) and Singapore.
Even here you might cut out Penang, therefore giving you about a week in each location. A week in Singapore is probably too much and a week in HK too little.

China is just not worth it at the moment.

Japan, well I suppose you mean Tokyo and I wouldn't bother with that either.
Thanks, will take your advice, always fancied Tokyo, ok thanks Reg, daniel
Old Apr 26th 2007, 3:50 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on what exactly you are planning to do...I'd skip Hong Kong and Singapore myself, so if you took all the advice on this thread you'll be going to Thailand for 3 weeks.

I spent a long time in Tokyo, so I am biased towards it...and I'd say it's not a bad time to visit with the Yen on life support.

But again, what were you hoping to see in Japan?

Then again...Christmas in Japan....hmmmm...New Year is OK but Christmas is just a working day.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:33 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I'd second the comments on jet lag. Do not underestimate the effects. While it is one thing to go say a 5 hour difference (US to Europe) when you get to 8-10-12 hours difference, you are looking at a rather major adjustment. If you couple that with a lot of flights, different places, different foods, you're kind of asking to get sick for at least a few days.

Now, as for where to go, I think the first thing you should decide is city or countryside. Most of the things on your list were big cities, and I'd recommend Hong Kong (or) Singapore, Tokyo, and maybe Shanghai (just to see how it is growing). Personally I was a bit bored in Tokyo, but I was with a friend who basically 'showed me everything' rather than exploring on my own. I lived in HK and have a bit of a bias towards it (I found it a really fun city to live in) but I'm not sure how it is to just visit. (note: if you went to HK you could also pop in for a day trip to Macau and see how fast that place is changing). Shanghai is a rapidly changing city, and kind of neat to see, but you migth get a bit of big city burnout during your trip and find it kind of the same, more or less....

Guess it really depends on what sort of experience you are seeking.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I'd second the comments on jet lag. Do not underestimate the effects. While it is one thing to go say a 5 hour difference (US to Europe) when you get to 8-10-12 hours difference, you are looking at a rather major adjustment. If you couple that with a lot of flights, different places, different foods, you're kind of asking to get sick for at least a few days.

Now, as for where to go, I think the first thing you should decide is city or countryside. Most of the things on your list were big cities, and I'd recommend Hong Kong (or) Singapore, Tokyo, and maybe Shanghai (just to see how it is growing). Personally I was a bit bored in Tokyo, but I was with a friend who basically 'showed me everything' rather than exploring on my own. I lived in HK and have a bit of a bias towards it (I found it a really fun city to live in) but I'm not sure how it is to just visit. (note: if you went to HK you could also pop in for a day trip to Macau and see how fast that place is changing). Shanghai is a rapidly changing city, and kind of neat to see, but you migth get a bit of big city burnout during your trip and find it kind of the same, more or less....

Guess it really depends on what sort of experience you are seeking.
Too confused now, you people are meant to be helping, only joking, to be honest, just want to see as much as possible, plan is couple of cities for maybe 10-12 days, then Thailand for a week and a half, probably going to leave Mexico on the 12th December now, and come back 6th January, so extend the holiday a little. May help. Thanks for all the comments, it seems a nightmare to plan, nobody is catering for anything that I want, other thing, what about an Asia Cruise, thanks