Beijing & Seoul

Old Mar 17th 2005, 4:18 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beijing & Seoul

Morning Folks,
I'm a British ex pat living in California for 18 years. I will visit Seoul & Beijing at the end of March/beginning of April for business however I will have two days free in both cities. I have been to Seoul previously and visited the Korean cultural museum in 'Lotte world' ?. I have never been to Beijing only Hong Kong, I think we are being taken to the Great Wall one day. My question is what else would you recommend for each city, any tips, particular items to buy etc. etc.

Thanks

Tom
Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:39 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beijing & Seoul

Originally Posted by tomelina
Morning Folks,
I'm a British ex pat living in California for 18 years. I will visit Seoul & Beijing at the end of March/beginning of April for business however I will have two days free in both cities. I have been to Seoul previously and visited the Korean cultural museum in 'Lotte world' ?. I have never been to Beijing only Hong Kong, I think we are being taken to the Great Wall one day. My question is what else would you recommend for each city, any tips, particular items to buy etc. etc.

Thanks

Tom
If it's permitted by the FDA, I would suggest buying Korean ginseng when in Korea.

Maybe you can get some ideas from this article on visiting Seoul from about.com-
http://goasia.about.com/library/weekly/blseoula.htm

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Mar 17th 2005 at 8:41 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomelina
Morning Folks,

Thanks

Tom
It's ashamed you only have 2 days in each city. You need at least a week in each to get a taste of the culture.

Will you be taken to the Summer Palace and the Ming Tomb as well? It's quite common that people do the Great Wall, the Ming Tomb, and the Summer Palace on the same day as they're all outside the city. I personally can easily spend a whole day or two at the Summer Palace. The man-made lake is beautiful.

Also you really can't leave without seeing the Forbidden City. It can take half a day or a whole day depending on how much you want to see. In addition to the famous Peking roast duck, I would highly recommend a meal at the restaurant in Beihai Park. I think it's called Imperial Kitchen or something like that. You can choose from a number of 3-6 course meals, all very delicately made. It's a bit overpriced comparing to most other restaurants but the waiter/waitresses are all dressed up as staff of the Imperial Palace. There's usually a dance performance in the couryard as well.

An Hutong (little alley) tour can be arranged by most hotels if you are interested in seeing the more traditional way of life.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:46 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
It's ashamed you only have 2 days in each city. You need at least a week in each to get a taste of the culture.

Will you be taken to the Summer Palace and the Ming Tomb as well? It's quite common that people do the Great Wall, the Ming Tomb, and the Summer Palace on the same day as they're all outside the city. I personally can easily spend a whole day or two at the Summer Palace. The man-made lake is beautiful.

Also you really can't leave without seeing the Forbidden City. It can take half a day or a whole day depending on how much you want to see. In addition to the famous Peking roast duck, I would highly recommend a meal at the restaurant in Beihai Park. I think it's called Imperial Kitchen or something like that. You can choose from a number of 3-6 course meals, all very delicately made. It's a bit overpriced comparing to most other restaurants but the waiter/waitresses are all dressed up as staff of the Imperial Palace. There's usually a dance performance in the couryard as well.

An Hutong (little alley) tour can be arranged by most hotels if you are interested in seeing the more traditional way of life.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
The trip is primarily business however we will go to the wall with our distributor one day, and have one day free. I will do an internet search taking into account your recommendations.
Thanks
Old Mar 18th 2005, 1:14 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go along with everything that MrsJTL said, although I haven't tried the place in Beihai park - sounds interesting!

I think the only thing I would add would be to allow for some time to walk round Tiananmen square before you do the Forbidden City. And buy a kite to fly while you're there!

Theres a Rickshaw tour of the hutongs that leaves from behind the Forbidden city, and takes in the Drum Tower and BellTower as well as taking you in 3 different levels of hutong home. Yes, its a bit touristy, but to be honest, sometimes its worth admitting that's what we are!

As for the Summer Palace - it is spectacular, but its worth checking the weather/pollution situation before you go - if its hazy, you will lose the fantastic views across the lake. You may get some atmospheric photos, but your limited time could probably be spent elsewhere and save the summer palace for a future trip. If the weather is good and clear however, it really is a beautiful place!

Have fun - I'm jealous!
Old Mar 19th 2005, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I'd go along with everything that MrsJTL said, although I haven't tried the place in Beihai park - sounds interesting!

I think the only thing I would add would be to allow for some time to walk round Tiananmen square before you do the Forbidden City. And buy a kite to fly while you're there!

Theres a Rickshaw tour of the hutongs that leaves from behind the Forbidden city, and takes in the Drum Tower and BellTower as well as taking you in 3 different levels of hutong home. Yes, its a bit touristy, but to be honest, sometimes its worth admitting that's what we are!

As for the Summer Palace - it is spectacular, but its worth checking the weather/pollution situation before you go - if its hazy, you will lose the fantastic views across the lake. You may get some atmospheric photos, but your limited time could probably be spent elsewhere and save the summer palace for a future trip. If the weather is good and clear however, it really is a beautiful place!

Have fun - I'm jealous!
Hi Yorkieabroad,

Did you end up going to language school in Beijing or Taiwan?

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Mar 19th 2005, 1:46 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Hi Yorkieabroad,

Did you end up going to language school in Beijing or Taiwan?

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Hi there
I had a month at Beijing Language and Cultural University last August - it was really good. 6 hours tuition a day, plus living with a chinese family - by the time I left I was doing rpetty well (by my standards...) Of course 6 months back here and its all getting a bit rusty again, but thinking about going again this year (if I can fit it in) to try to crank it up another notch...
Yorkie
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:35 am

Hi again,

Just noticed you asked about shopping. I'm not a real shopper, but:-

If you want electronics, get out to Zhongguancun area (North east). All sorts of stuff there, but just bear in mind that the manuals are probably going to be in Chinese and the warrantys are going to be pretty worthless.

Silk Market on Jianguomenwai Dajie between the 2nd and 3rd ringroads. Full of clothes, shoes, backpacks etc that I assume is counterfeit, but not really sure, adn if it is, its pretty good quality - I bought some Timberland shirts there 5 or 6 years ago and they still wear well. Need to haggle hard - aim at 20-25% of the asking price and walk away a few times.

The area around Wanfuqing Dajie is full of more upmarket department stores and chains - there is a great toy shop on the east side of the street, just north of Jianguomenwai Dajie - knocks Hamleys into a cocked hat!

If you get the chance, head down to Pan Jia Yuan - its a big market in the South East of the city, just outside (I think) the 3rd ring road. Its a bit of a trek and takes quite a while to cover, so if oyu've only got 1 day, this may not be the place. Full of everything from very expensive genuine antiques, thru reasonable knock-offs, to utter crap, plus clothing, pottery, metalwork, you name it. Pick your pieces and haggle like hell!

And if you need a drink after all the shopping, head out to San Li Tun area - full of bars, live music and a good mix of local and expat.

Have fun!!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 4:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Hi again,

Just noticed you asked about shopping. I'm not a real shopper, but:-

If you want electronics, get out to Zhongguancun area (North east). All sorts of stuff there, but just bear in mind that the manuals are probably going to be in Chinese and the warrantys are going to be pretty worthless.

Silk Market on Jianguomenwai Dajie between the 2nd and 3rd ringroads. Full of clothes, shoes, backpacks etc that I assume is counterfeit, but not really sure, adn if it is, its pretty good quality - I bought some Timberland shirts there 5 or 6 years ago and they still wear well. Need to haggle hard - aim at 20-25% of the asking price and walk away a few times.

The area around Wanfuqing Dajie is full of more upmarket department stores and chains - there is a great toy shop on the east side of the street, just north of Jianguomenwai Dajie - knocks Hamleys into a cocked hat!

If you get the chance, head down to Pan Jia Yuan - its a big market in the South East of the city, just outside (I think) the 3rd ring road. Its a bit of a trek and takes quite a while to cover, so if oyu've only got 1 day, this may not be the place. Full of everything from very expensive genuine antiques, thru reasonable knock-offs, to utter crap, plus clothing, pottery, metalwork, you name it. Pick your pieces and haggle like hell!

And if you need a drink after all the shopping, head out to San Li Tun area - full of bars, live music and a good mix of local and expat.

Have fun!!
Thanks for your help

Tom