British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Will My British TV Work In Czech Republic? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/will-my-british-tv-work-czech-republic-933421/)

woodbine66 Jun 26th 2020 9:35 am

Will My British TV Work In Czech Republic?

I've got a 4 year old Sony flat screen tv. I'm wondering if I can take it with me to The Czech Republic. Will it work on their digital channels?

Thanks for any advice.

Tweedpipe Jun 26th 2020 12:39 pm

Re: Will My British TV Work In Czech Republic?

I had no idea, but a 10sec Google shows that their voltage is 230v 50Hz so that should be ok. Uncertain what your current de-coder is, and dependent on whether your Sony Tv has an integrated decoder (unlikely) you may have to purchase a local digital decoder set top-box to uncramble satellite and terrestial signals.

woodbine66 Jun 26th 2020 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 12872308)
I had no idea, but a 10sec Google shows that their voltage is 230v 50Hz so that should be ok. Uncertain what your current de-coder is, and dependent on whether your Sony Tv has an integrated decoder (unlikely) you may have to purchase a local digital decoder set top-box to uncramble satellite and terrestial signals.

Thanks for your reply. Will take it with me and try to sort out something when I get there. Lucky about the voltage and frequency being the same. Will be quite a few electrical items going with me. Just swap the plugs and save a fortune. Even taking the fridge freezer.

OrangeMango Jul 3rd 2020 1:03 pm

If your TV can receive the DVB-T2 standard and HEVC/H.265, it works. Mine at least does. Czech terrestrial TV doesn't require any kind of cards or subscriptions. However something like a TV license is required.
All you need to do is get an adapter from 3 pronged to two pronged. Even ASDA in the UK sells them.

woodbine66 Jul 27th 2020 8:17 pm

Thanks OrangeMango for your advice. Really appreciated.

OrangeMango Aug 2nd 2020 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by woodbine66 (Post 12888263)
Thanks OrangeMango for your advice. Really appreciated.

You're welcome. However my knowledge is around two months old, and things might have changed.

Terrestrial Czech TV is still free to receive apart from the TV license registration.

In the Slovak Republic terrestrial TV is not free to receive. Upon TV License registration in Slovakia a card is sent to the subscriber which is then inserted in the back of the TV.

I am guessing that in the Czech Republic at some point in the future they will move to a similar system and process as in Slovakia.