Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do Europeans call someone who can witness signatures?

What do Europeans call someone who can witness signatures?

Old Jun 20th 2009, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default What do Europeans call someone who can witness signatures?

I need to sign a document, and have someone else sign as a witness. It can't be just anyone. The witness must be someone acting in some official capacity, with an official seal of some kind.

In the US, the term is "notary public", but I've learned not to use that term in Europe because it means something entirely different. It seems to refer to a real estate lawyer in Europe; and I'm told it costs hundreds of dollars to have one of these lawyers notarize a document (in the US, it's often free and rarely costs more than $2 per document).

Bank tellers give a blank stare when I ask them to witness signing something.. apparently it's not something bankers do in these parts.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 7:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do Europeans call someone who can witness signatures?

Originally Posted by jgombos
I need to sign a document, and have someone else sign as a witness. It can't be just anyone. The witness must be someone acting in some official capacity, with an official seal of some kind.

In the US, the term is "notary public", but I've learned not to use that term in Europe because it means something entirely different. It seems to refer to a real estate lawyer in Europe; and I'm told it costs hundreds of dollars to have one of these lawyers notarize a document (in the US, it's often free and rarely costs more than $2 per document).

Bank tellers give a blank stare when I ask them to witness signing something.. apparently it's not something bankers do in these parts.
Do you mean an equivalent to a UK "Commissioner for Oaths"? In France, I've had a Notaire witness my signature and she did it for free. Notaires aren't simply for conveyancing land, they prepare wills, marriage agreements, etc..

Last edited by dmu; Jun 20th 2009 at 7:07 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:34 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

In Italy it would also be a "notaio".

As DMU said - they are not just for writing up house selling and buying contracts. In fact they'd be horrified to be classed as real estate lawyers.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 3:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

In Spain, a notary
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Austrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really niceAustrobrit is just really nice

Germany or Austria

Notar
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 6:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

In the US, the term is "notary public", but I've learned not to use that term in Europe because it means something entirely different.
If you're a US citizen, you can visit your US Consulate; see the American Citizen Services about getting a US notary public's siggy, if that will also serve your need.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Turns out searching for "notaire" rather than "notary public" did the trick. Although these notaires apparently charge hundreds to sign house closing documents, they're more reasonable when it comes to other documents. I think I was quoted something like 15 EUR per document.
Originally Posted by meauxna
If you're a US citizen, you can visit your US Consulate; see the American Citizen Services about getting a US notary public's siggy, if that will also serve your need.
The US embassy wants $50 to witness two documents - and that cost exceeds the value of the service I need the documents notarized for, so I'm not willing to use the US embassy.

I've noticed that the Australian embassy charges half as much, but they stipulate that the documents must be related to Australian business.

After pressing the question to more bankers, and I found one banker who said their bank can witness signatures and apply the seal of the bank. And they do it for free in some cases - which is evidently why it's a well kept secret.

Last edited by jgombos; Jun 24th 2009 at 6:55 am.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 9:58 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
In Italy it would also be a "notaio".

As DMU said - they are not just for writing up house selling and buying contracts. In fact they'd be horrified to be classed as real estate lawyers.
Depending on the document, it can also be done at the town hall. Far cheaper than a notaio.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 37100
Depending on the document, it can also be done at the town hall. Far cheaper than a notaio.
I just tried that today.. they call it "legalizing" a document at the commune. Problem is, the commune will only legalize documents that are prepared in French, not English.

The bank turned out to be a dead-end as well. The bank would only work with documents that are related to banking business. And post offices in Belgium offer no such service.

So the question is, will a notaire also require the document to be in French?

One would think it doesn't matter what's on the document, because the notary is only expected to verify that the signer is the person they claim to be.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:28 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

So the question is, will a notaire also require the document to be in French?

One would think it doesn't matter what's on the document, because the notary is only expected to verify that the signer is the person they claim to be.
The document that I signed before a French Notaire was a translation made by me into English. I simply showed my identity, signed it before her and she stamped it with her seal. She didn't ask to see what document was attached and it didn't bother her that my declaration was in English.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:44 am
Just Joined

anita.patt is an unknown quantity at this point

How about an Endorsement ? Atleast did you get it done at the end or ..... ?

Regards

Anita Patt
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Forres is an unknown quantity at this point

I give up! What do Europeans call someone who can witness signatures?
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:43 am
Just Joined

sarah_evans is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Forres
I give up! What do Europeans call someone who can witness signatures?
I would suggest that he is called "notary"